Home

This game is still unreal!

This is a discussion on This game is still unreal! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2014, 01:09 PM   #105
Rookie

KDayisBack's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: This game is still unreal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Same here. I remember being young and poor, scraping and saving to try to get a new console within the first year or two of release, then saving just to afford one new football game a year. I'd check all the sites, magazines, etc for news about who's better. I'd hit up message boards and soak in everything I could. Then, I'd agonize for weeks about which company would get my business that season.

Now, as an adult, I poop disposable income yet the sports game genre is lacking so much it doesn't even make the purchase worth it. It's so depressing to the point I hooked up my old Genesis - which only outputs in black & white, mind you - to play Tecmo Super Bowl and feel what fun gameplay was. Do you know how hard it is to play Raiders vs Cowboys when both teams are in black and white?!??!

Too bad I can't buy a friggin' time machine and just go back.
when are you going to be back on XBL?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2014, 09:58 PM   #106
Rookie

OVR: 0

The customer is missing out on great gameplay. Madden took on the role of the all encompassing football title, now it has to be everything for everyone. If 2k could still exist, the customer's choice would be over a game's strengths. The two games wouldn't be expected to provide every experience fans want, or every mode.

Madden has MUT and Superstar. Gauntlet this year. 2k may have chosen to develop similar modes. Or, maybe they would have refined franchise mode. Maybe they would have transitioned gameplay to reflect how players in NBA 2k behave: contextually. They would coexist because of different strengths.

Personally, I'd be on the 2k train until EA showed better A.I. reactions and awareness. The Madden animation is so damn poor, even compared to 2k8's system.

Separately, EA has flat out has awful priorities when it comes to dev cycles. They added a game prep function to CFM before adding a practice squad/waivers, contract incentives, pup list, hold outs, conditional draft picks in trades, etc. While there are actual rules written for these items and language/definitions that exist in the NFL-NFLPA agreements -- that front offices need to be very familiar with -- "game prep" confidence and xp are hypothetical values. There is absolutely a place for the game prep function in a video game. But to add it -- and controlling the price of merchandise, for that matter -- before replicating front office personnel rules and procedures, is out of order.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #107
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDayisBack
when are you going to be back on XBL?
I'm doing the Bret Favre retirement tour right now.

Just a factor of things: new job, started waking up crazy early to exercise (5:30am), I was spending more time waiting to get a game in than actually playing, and finally my XBL connection with APF has been really shaky.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:27 PM   #108
Pro

ajk49er's Arena

OVR: 2

I still refuse to buy an XB1 because all I would need it for is Madden, and I just can't play it due to the 1000 reasons anyone on here knows. and more than anything, even the sim is broken. so all the talk of "only if APF had a franchise mode"...I mean, what good is franchise if progression is broken, if you can't check your player card in most screens, if your gameplay still sucks because penalties don't work and the game is sooo easy and arcade like and worst of all they still haven't fixed legacy issues, and SIM STATS. so what is the point of even using that mode? its broken

so I still play APF, have over 100 uniform codes that I have saved and probably another 100 plus that I haven't used yet from 09 uniforms to 2014 elite uniforms to movie uniforms to nba uniforms to throwbacks on about half the teams. I love the star system, you actually fear players, avoid great corners, refuse to run at reggie white. the playbooks are great, so easy to work and a lot of fun. I even enjoy choosing my type of generics. no team is really OP, there is a plus and a minus for every lineup. its just a fantastic game

this game is still far and away gameplay wise the best football game ever. the blocking is unreal, the realism on pass defense is just amazing. the penalties, that every yard is a huge deal as you constantly find yourself challenging the spot in a key situation. the rare events like a snap over the punters head that has happened maybe once and it was epic. all of that stuff factors in and makes it an unbelievable game.

I wish more played it, I still have to just play offline and am just now looking into doing that editing stuff, I hear its easy but its tough without anyone online to play with the teams anyway. hit me up if you still play 360 APF 2k8 and love to just play sim and try different teams. I enjoy taking a 2000 Rams Team, or making the REAL replacements roster from the movie, I will torch you with shane falco! but seriously, let me know.

or if you want all those codes in one spot, I am working on that now, testing every code to make sure they are all legit. I expect it to be the largest collection of codes taken from every OS post in archives and 2k sports post in archives. should easily be the largest collection of codes for APF on the net, likely 200-300 working

Last edited by ajk49er; 09-01-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:46 PM   #109
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk49er
I still refuse to buy an XB1 because all I would need it for is Madden, and I just can't play it due to the 1000 reasons anyone on here knows.
There are probably 10,000 reasons not to buy an XB1. Microsoft really blew it this time, and this is coming from a guy who was a diehard XBOX player from day one. I feel really bad watching people try to defend it.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #110
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo80
The customer is missing out on great gameplay. Madden took on the role of the all encompassing football title, now it has to be everything for everyone. If 2k could still exist, the customer's choice would be over a game's strengths. The two games wouldn't be expected to provide every experience fans want, or every mode.

Madden has MUT and Superstar. Gauntlet this year. 2k may have chosen to develop similar modes. Or, maybe they would have refined franchise mode. Maybe they would have transitioned gameplay to reflect how players in NBA 2k behave: contextually. They would coexist because of different strengths.

Personally, I'd be on the 2k train until EA showed better A.I. reactions and awareness. The Madden animation is so damn poor, even compared to 2k8's system.

Separately, EA has flat out has awful priorities when it comes to dev cycles. They added a game prep function to CFM before adding a practice squad/waivers, contract incentives, pup list, hold outs, conditional draft picks in trades, etc. While there are actual rules written for these items and language/definitions that exist in the NFL-NFLPA agreements -- that front offices need to be very familiar with -- "game prep" confidence and xp are hypothetical values. There is absolutely a place for the game prep function in a video game. But to add it -- and controlling the price of merchandise, for that matter -- before replicating front office personnel rules and procedures, is out of order.
You, my friend, absolutely "Get it". Glad to see that some of us call it like it really it is. Great post.
Old 09-06-2014, 02:03 PM   #111
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajk49er
I still refuse to buy an XB1 because all I would need it for is Madden, and I just can't play it due to the 1000 reasons anyone on here knows. and more than anything, even the sim is broken. so all the talk of "only if APF had a franchise mode"...I mean, what good is franchise if progression is broken, if you can't check your player card in most screens, if your gameplay still sucks because penalties don't work and the game is sooo easy and arcade like and worst of all they still haven't fixed legacy issues, and SIM STATS. so what is the point of even using that mode? its broken

While I agree with what was said - I'm a franchise type of player in sports games.

I enjoy taking teams 10+ years ahead, watching them grow and develop (or fail to do so), taking part in drafts, trades, free agency, coaching, etc.

That's why I want a franchise mode in games. Madden's franchise isn't great by any means, but, I did get to watch my Raiders in M13 (8 years) and my Bucs in M12 (13 years) evolve, decide what to do with new talents coming from the draft, etc.

So, yes, I will still say "what if APK had a franchise mode" because that's just the kind of player I am. I don't play single-seasons in sports games. MLBTS, OOTP, FBPro, Madden, doesn't matter.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #112
Rookie

I think I logged close to 200 online game with this. By far the most time I have ever spent online.

The way they made the actual stars actually play and feel different was amazing. Controlling Barry Sanders was so different than Natrone Means.

Having a gold CB be able to lock down a WR 1 on 1 actually let you get more creative with blitzes.

And the line play....DE's actually getting up field....Having to step up in the pocket with a QB.

It truly was an amazing game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »