Home

This is a beautiful Game!

This is a discussion on This is a beautiful Game! within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 AM   #1
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14
This is a beautiful Game!

I've been working to try and "perfect" my Chiefs roster file for the last few weeks or so. It requires a great deal of trial and error...and a lot of testing. During this process one discovers how ugly a game can be...but also how beautiful it can be. One can also become burned out on the game due to studying it and altering it to achieve a certain result rather than simply playing it for the fun and entertaintment as it was originally intended to provide.

I must say that, after testing and working on APF2k8/NFL2k13 for the last few weeks, I'm still blown away. I can hardly get through games because I'm constantly watching replays in amazement at some of the sh*t that happens on the field between players.

Football is a contact sport...plain and simple. Therefore, if a developer sets out to make a pro football simulation, their focus should be on how the players interact with each other .....blocking, pass coverage, tackling, breaking tackles, pursuit, etc. It's abundantly clear tha 2k Sports/Visual Concepts understood this and made it the preimise on which APF/NFL2k were developed. They achieved a simulated suddeness and explosivess on the field no other game has been able to duplicate...even with a real-time physics engine. Its for that reason that this game is widely held as the standard in football-sim gameplay to this day....even against Madden 12 or 13.

"Read and React Defense?" Madden/NCAA are just NOW introducing head tracking by defenders of the ball in flight......seriously?They do this when the OL/DL interaction is STILL lightyears behind what 2k achieved almost 10 years ago along with defenders head-tracking of a thrown football.

I don't say this to bash EA (there's enough of that happening already) but moreso to give due props to 2k for what the effort and innovation to they put towards the development of APF/NFL2k.

I honestly should be burned out on APF by now but I'm not. Why? Because I STILL marvel at the way this game moves...plays...sounds....and ..dare i say....feels. Yes, I'm getting corny now. Who cares? I love this f**kin game!

Last edited by Kanobi; 07-24-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: This is a beautiful Game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I've been working to try and "perfect" my Chiefs roster file for the last few weeks or so. It requires a great deal of trial and error...and a lot of testing. During this process one discovers how ugly a game can be...but also how beautiful it can be. One can also become burned out on the game due to studying it and altering it to achieve a certain result rather than simply playing it for the fun and entertaintment as it was originally intended to provide.

I must say that, after testing and working on APF2k8/NFL2k13 for the last few weeks, I'm still blown away. I can hardly get through games because I'm constantly watching replays in amazement at some of the sh*t that happens on the field between players.

Football is a contact sport...plain and simple. Therefore, if a developer sets out to make a pro football simulation, their focus should be on how the players interact with each other .....blocking, pass coverage, tackling, breaking tackles, pursuit, etc. It's abundantly clear tha 2k Sports/Visual Concepts understood this and made it the preimise on which APF/NFL2k were developed. They achieved a simulated suddeness and explosivess on the field no other game has been able to duplicate...even with a real-time physics engine. Its for that reason that this game is widely held as the standard in football-sim gameplay to this day....even against Madden 12 or 13.

"Read and React Defense?" Madden/NCAA are just NOW introducing head tracking by defenders of the ball in flight......seriously?They do this when the OL/DL interaction is STILL lightyears behind what 2k achieved almost 10 years ago along with defenders head-tracking of a thrown football.

I don't say this to bash EA (there's enough of that happening already) but moreso to give due props to 2k for what the effort and innovation to they put towards the development of APF/NFL2k.

I honestly should be burned out on APF by now but I'm not. Why? Because I STILL marvel at the way this game moves...plays...sounds....and ..dare i say....feels. Yes, I'm getting corny now. Who cares? I love this f**kin game!
When I play APF I find myself watching replays almost as much as I find myself playing the actual game.

I also find myself saving about 4 or 5 replays of every game, then spend a ton of time using REELMAKER to cut them together in to highlight packages.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
When I play APF I find myself watching replays almost as much as I find myself playing the actual game.

I also find myself saving about 4 or 5 replays of every game, then spend a ton of time using REELMAKER to cut them together in to highlight packages.
Man, same here! I've got a ton of replays saved. When I get myself a capture device, I plan on postin some vids with commentary.
Old 07-24-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83

Yeah in over 5+ years of playing the game, I literally have hundreds of replays stored on my hard drive.

Plays happen all the time in this game where things look so real that you just feel compelled to save the moment.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Man, same here! I've got a ton of replays saved. When I get myself a capture device, I plan on postin some vids with commentary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Yeah in over 5+ years of playing the game, I literally have hundreds of replays stored on my hard drive.

Plays happen all the time in this game where things look so real that you just feel compelled to save the moment.
It's too bad they never implemented the way to post replays to their website like you can with NBA 2k or MLB 2k or even how EA does it with their replay hosting service. We would all be able to share our replays like we do in those other forums.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

I remember buying the 2K Reelmaker thinking, "Oh cool, now I can upload all my replays online."

I fire it up and all it does is give you the ability to combine multiple replays from the same game offline.

I was pretty disappointed that Reelmaker didn't take advantage of online.

I know at least as of NBA 2K9 you could upload saved replays online. Dunno about the other 2K8 games.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

most beautiful sports game ever created...
Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM   #8
MVP

slthree's Arena

OVR: 15

Put the game in today after not playing it for a year.

It easily rivals The Show and I am amazed that it is light years ahead of both EA's college and pro offerings.

Since I have a new PS3 I didn't have any of my custom teams and playbooks. Went online and there were only 2 ppl in the lobby

I got beat 35-0

That was humbling after being one of the best players online years ago

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »