Home

APF 2K8/2K SPORTS question.

This is a discussion on APF 2K8/2K SPORTS question. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
APF 2K8/2K SPORTS question.

Does anybody know why APF 2K8/2K sports never did a DLC update that we could pay for. Update will give the game new players,new teams, uniforms, statiums etc...I'm just worndering APF2k8 is such a great game but what a waste.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: APF 2K8/2K SPORTS question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson81thomas
Does anybody know why APF 2K8/2K sports never did a DLC update that we could pay for. Update will give the game new players,new teams, uniforms, statiums etc...I'm just worndering APF2k8 is such a great game but what a waste.
2K Sports just left APF2K8 where it was at because they were unable to get the NFL License.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

At the time this game originally came out (2007), DLC for sports games was pretty much unheard of.

They did put out the Reelmaker replay editor, but that was it.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Seems the devs never really had direction for this game and so followed up with folly after folly. I was really hoping for a franchise mode DLC at some point, but seeing as the developers abandoned the game pretty much at it's onset, it really had no chance to succeed.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Banned

It's not really a waste. You have to look at it from a business perspective. There is no longer a market for non-licensed sports games for the mainstream sports. Football, basketball and baseball games will not sell if they do not have all of the branding and players from their respective leagues. A lot of Maddenites never even tried APF simply because it didn't have the current players. It's easy to say that 2k screwed up because guys like us love the game, but in reality, it was a sound business decision. There is no market for that kind of game and only a foolish company would make a product knowing ahead of time there is no market for it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

There were plenty of other problems with the game in terms of getting it into the market & wasting resources. 2K did a horrid job squandering away money on legends - signing them to 3 year deals - that could have been invested back into the game. The advertising campaign was basically non-existant and far too narrow reaching (underground hip hop anyone?).

What 2K should have done was simply cater the game to fans of football by working and marketing towards its strengths. 2K football games were always known for a great game engine, sim-style gaming, amazing player animations, interactions & physics, revolutionary presentation, and deep franchise mode. They simply could have left the game with generic players, not limited team & in-game customization and allowed for peer-to-peer file sharing as they had successfully done with the College Hoops 2K series.

Instead, the developers went with the route stated in the first paragraph, thus dooming any chance of success. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20, though.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
There were plenty of other problems with the game in terms of getting it into the market & wasting resources. 2K did a horrid job squandering away money on legends - signing them to 3 year deals - that could have been invested back into the game. The advertising campaign was basically non-existant and far too narrow reaching (underground hip hop anyone?).

What 2K should have done was simply cater the game to fans of football by working and marketing towards its strengths. 2K football games were always known for a great game engine, sim-style gaming, amazing player animations, interactions & physics, revolutionary presentation, and deep franchise mode. They simply could have left the game with generic players, not limited team & in-game customization and allowed for peer-to-peer file sharing as they had successfully done with the College Hoops 2K series.

Instead, the developers went with the route stated in the first paragraph, thus dooming any chance of success. Hindsight, as they say, is always 20/20, though.
EG -

Believe me bud, I am with you all the way. If I were 2k, I would have simply ditched the legends and created a fantastic game of football with fictional players. With the colossal failure that is Madden NFL and the awful developers they have working on that game, 2k could have really made a dent by showing everyone what a REAL football simulation is. The costs would be mninimal (no license) and the game could have taken off. Your guess is as good as mine. I think they could have made a profit just off of the frustration from Madden alone.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »