Home

Why I love playing All Pro Football

This is a discussion on Why I love playing All Pro Football within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Why I love playing All Pro Football

Last Sunday I had one of those classic games that All Pro Football always seems to deliver for me.

The Ironmen (CPU) vs the Atlanta Hawks, a Hex team led by Earl Campbell, Joe Theisman, Dick Butkus, and Deion Sanders.

With a heavy dose of Campbell and Okoye power running the first quarter was dominated by my Hawks, Theisman who turned out a great game manager performance was on target all the way down the field and when hitting Keith Jackson for the game's first score. Early on the defense was stellar against Marino and I began to think the game would become a blowout after going up 21-3 on a Deion Sanders pick six.

We trade scores in the second half but at this point Marino was becoming untouchable his mastery of the offense tore through my defense no matter what I threw at him.

Enter the third quarter where Marino and Ditka light up the stat sheet by the end of the quarter the score was 28-25 and the momentum in my home stadium had shifted to the visitors.

The fourth quarter played out much like the third, Marino continued to abuse my defense but couldnt manage to score 7 in the redzone. I got the ball back with three minutes down 31-28 on a Deion Sanders interception on my twenty, a balanced attack got me to the two yard line with sixteen seconds left but failure to convert forced my hand to kicking it into overtime.

They win the coin toss. Poised to make a signature comeback Marino ruthlessly picks apart my solid coverage and audibles around my desperate attempts at sacking him. 3rd and 12 in far field goal range. My defense has shown up on these last few downs but just then Marino hits Lenny Moore on a crossing pattern that gets them to the two yard line. The kicker comes out, its do or die for my team.

The ball is snapped, a defensive lineman breaks free and jumps in front of the kick. The ball hits his head and shoots into the air, it falls right on to the crossbar. Game Over. Ironmen win.

I felt like Mike McCarthy after Dansby scored the touchdown in last year's playoff game. This game has those classic football moments that we all remember, that why I love playing this game.

Use this thread to talk about those moments that make your really appreciate this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-22-2012, 04:33 AM   #2
Banned

OVR: 4
Re: Why I love playing All Pro Football

Great Post!!
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
Just started!

OVR: 0

Your post is an example of why 2k NEEDS to make another football game. I don't care about the NFL license, if they give us a combination of the customization options offered to us on APF and Backbreaker, I'll be fine. Just make sure the gameplay and presentation offered mirrors 2K5/APF and tweak the graphics a lil and I will never complain about a football game again.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #4
Rookie

I love this game for those moments, and years after it's release I am still seeing great games and classic moments play out.
In that OTHER game I always feel in order to be challenged the difficulty needs to be cranked, but that leads to what drives me crazy, the "super computer", the "trapped in the script", and the "if it's in the game, it's not in this game" moments that cost me money(broken paddle). Ha paddle, now I revealed my age. Anyway, I NEVER feel cheated playing this game, and I always take forever to play a game because I'm constantly watching and saving replays. It's just top notch.
Last week I played a season game, week 7 I believe it was, against the Rhinos. For whatever reason, no actually I know the reason...Gale Sayers. I got my rear handed to me after beginning the season 5-1 and playing 4 very close games. Gale went wild on me to the tune of 241 yards rushing, 115 yards receiving, and 3 tds. I went into this game #2 in rush defense and my squad prides themselves on shutting down legend running backs. Through 6 weeks I was yet to give up a 100 yard rushing performance.
Through 3 quarters, down 34-13, my focus shifted to trying to at least keep the score respectable. Then, sweet momentum swung my way. My lockdown corner Darrell Green(known for his stone hands) tipped a Troy Aikman pass intended for Henry Ellard. The ball ended up in the hands of Terry Supernaw who proceeded to take it to the house for a 77 yard score. 34-20.
Next Rhinos possession, 3 and out and time to...yes, return a punt 62 yards for a TD(Darrell Green returns punts too). 34-27.
Rhinos with the ball back, and driving, decide to get cute. Aikman on play action fools the defense and rolls to his right. As he sets his feet to launch the ball deep a blitzing Leroy Butler strips him of the ball. Two lineman dive and come up empty, followed by a diving Dick Butkus who comes up with his 4th fumble recovery of the season. 8 plays later Walter Payton shows off his goal line dive from the 2 yard line, touchdown!!!! 34-34.
The defense on the Rhinos next drive went into a bend but don't break mode and survived a time consuming drive that resulted in a Rhinos chip shot field goal. 37-34. Down 3 with 1:43 on the clock.
Only needing a field goal to tie I felt confident I could get into range to at least send this game into overtime. Well, I did one better. Led by Fran Tarkenton's scrambling, my offense found themselves once again at the Rhino's 2 yard line. Now with 17 seconds on the clock, 1 timeout, and a fresh set of downs I had my sights set on putting Payton over the pile for the win. I called a strong iso run, or maybe Walter called it, I don't recall, but as he took the ball time stood still and the entire game flashed before me. I couldn't believe I was going to pull off this comeback, and as my legend tail back left his feet I must have had a huge s%#t eating grin on my face. The joy faded quickly as Dan Hampton met Walter mid air with the force of a mack truck and jarred the ball loose, which was recovered by the Rhinos. I almost cried as I sat there helpless while they kneeled down to secure the victory, but.......I loved every darn minute of it.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
All Star

rangerrick012's Arena

OVR: 42

I picked this game up a couple of days ago for $3 at GameStop. Just saw something that NEVER happens in another game. CPU has the ball 4th and Short at my 40 yard line. That zone where it's iffy to punt or go for it. They line up to go for it, try to draw me offsides, then call timeout and switch to punt it away. THAT is awesome, that level of detail just isn't there in other games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #6
MVP

MJHSpanda57's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrick012
I picked this game up a couple of days ago for $3 at GameStop. Just saw something that NEVER happens in another game. CPU has the ball 4th and Short at my 40 yard line. That zone where it's iffy to punt or go for it. They line up to go for it, try to draw me offsides, then call timeout and switch to punt it away. THAT is awesome, that level of detail just isn't there in other games.
Had the same thing happen to me yesterday. It was awesome to see. Another cool thing is that my team celebrated when I took a knee to seal the victory.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Rookie

Cyco9's Arena

One that I've always liked is when you line up to punt and the long-snapper launches it over the punter's head. He jumps/reaches for it unsuccessfully. Very rare animation but a cool one.

Props to the developers on that one. Yeah, that's another example of why 2K needs to be making football games.

BAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Another rare animation I noticed in 2k8 was against the American's in heavy snow. Warren Moon slips and falls to the ground halfway through his drop back and had to concede a sack.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »