Home

Old 12-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: New APF Mod Project

I definitely appreciate the effort, but as mentioned, I feel the community has squeezed the APF fruit dry at this point. You'd be better off concepting ideas of football IPs to pitch to developers instead of using your time on an old game that is mostly likely not going to get resurrected.

Honestly, if it's something you want to do and are passionate about it, don't let anyone stop you.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
Rookie

derreckbercier's Arena

OVR: 4

Go for it. If Ratesports can rename every player in the game I don't see why you can't add some legends to the roster and change attributes and abilities in the editor.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I definitely appreciate the effort, but as mentioned, I feel the community has squeezed the APF fruit dry at this point. You'd be better off concepting ideas of football IPs to pitch to developers instead of using your time on an old game that is mostly likely not going to get resurrected.

Honestly, if it's something you want to do and are passionate about it, don't let anyone stop you.
You make a fair point, and honestly I think all of us (myself included) have spent a lot of time pontificating on what we want out of a new football game, but almost no time supporting indie and mid-major efforts, or at the very least going to companies directly which is a lot easier to do today than it ever has been.

But, on the other hand, couldn't a well thought-out redo of All-Pro Football along with some concept creatives & mood boards and even some companion storylines, be a strong stake in showing what we want? If nothing else, couldn't it be used (along with some photoshopped creatives) as part of the pitching package?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 3

Great idea, and if the rumors are true and Finn is going to update the editor, you could add/edit some fictional players
Old 12-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
You make a fair point, and honestly I think all of us (myself included) have spent a lot of time pontificating on what we want out of a new football game, but almost no time supporting indie and mid-major efforts, or at the very least going to companies directly which is a lot easier to do today than it ever has been.

But, on the other hand, couldn't a well thought-out redo of All-Pro Football along with some concept creatives & mood boards and even some companion storylines, be a strong stake in showing what we want? If nothing else, couldn't it be used (along with some photoshopped creatives) as part of the pitching package?
Of all companies who could make a football comeback, I think it would have to be 2K or Natural Motion only because they have an IP that would be easiest to work with. The problem, is all the money that goes into research/discovery, strategy, developing, testing, marketing, etc. and convincing a company to invest it in a sub-genre that hasn't been to fruitful in the marketplace (see: APF2K8, Backbreaker, Blitz: The League, etc). It is a huge task and financial burden to develop games these days and with that I simply don't think many companies are willing to put themselves at risk to develop.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #14
MVP

Jumpman232's Arena

OVR: 12

i would definitely be interested in playing this!
Old 12-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Of all companies who could make a football comeback, I think it would have to be 2K or Natural Motion only because they have an IP that would be easiest to work with. The problem, is all the money that goes into research/discovery, strategy, developing, testing, marketing, etc. and convincing a company to invest it in a sub-genre that hasn't been to fruitful in the marketplace (see: APF2K8, Backbreaker, Blitz: The League, etc). It is a huge task and financial burden to develop games these days and with that I simply don't think many companies are willing to put themselves at risk to develop.
I definitely agree that if there is going to be a pitch it has to be to a company with standing IP, or at the very least a stock engine ready to work with. The good thing is that it's not entirely uncommon for companies to build an engine in anticipation of future events.

Aside from 2K and NM, I know that both Sony and Activision currently have American Football engines in their libraries that do receive anticipatory upgrade work from time to time.

Mentioning Blitz The League; Blitz The League 1 went on to sell over 1.1 Million copies and was a hit. BTL 2 bombed, but that had a lot to do with Midway being practically out of money by that time and couldn't promote with the same reach as before. Now EA (of course) owns Blitz, so there will never be another Blitz The League :-(

Back in 2005, Sony was going to move forward with Road To Sunday but changed their minds after they saw what Midway was doing with Blitz The League and realized Road To Sunday couldn't compete with that, which is funny since both games had similar concepts. But admittedly, Road To Sunday just wasn't done as well. Sony was right to pull the plug on that project.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #16
Banned

steelers99_58_36's Arena

OVR: 2

Is this still happening? I was so excited about this but there have been no updates about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »