Home

APF - Why We Still Love This Game

This is a discussion on APF - Why We Still Love This Game within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: APF - Why We Still Love This Game

Why I still love this game:

Stacking your defense with "Big Hit" abilities and pounding on the offense really wears a team down and it really affects the offense long term. . If you keep laying the wood - big hits, gang-tackles, those iffy-late hits, shots to the QB, hitting WRs to jar balls loose, etc - you'll start to notice little things out of the offense. The QB will be off mark on throws, RBs run with lead legs, and receivers will alligator-arm catches - Alvin Harper, I'm looking at you!

Of course, all this can be countered, which is what makes the game still a joy today: every ability in this game has an equal and opposite ability.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

For best effect, try combining "Big Hitter" with the hidden ability, "Helmet High Tackles."

"Helmet High Tackles" unlocks a lot of new animations that you otherwise wouldn't see in the game.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

WOW the last 2 posts made me want to get a 360 and hex edit again.
Such a REAL game...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #12
Banned

Cre8's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33057
WOW the last 2 posts made me want to get a 360 and hex edit again.
Such a REAL game...
Seriously, outside of the game itself... The 2K Football community is always one that gives me faith that someday there will be another 2K football title. I keep hoping that they are going to start developing something for next gen. It would be one of the biggest reasons for me to buy a new console.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

I refuse to buy a new console until we get a serviceable non-EA football game.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #14
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

Coaches Challenges
Playing a buddy of mine the other day - one of those desperate, slugfests where any movement of the ball is earned. Less than two minutes left in the 4th quarter and he gets the ball back on his 20 with 3 timeouts. He starts driving and you can just begin to feel the momentum swinging his way - to all those APF faithful, you know this dreadful feeling.

On 3rd & long my DL busts through giving chase to the QB who flips it to the RB in the flats. FUMBLE! The ball is on the ground, my defense swarms, but my opponent picks up the ball. A 20 remarkable yard scamper later and he's now on my side of the 50.

Wait one second: the booth has issued a challenge.

"After further review, the previous play was a forward pass. There was no fumble on the play. The play results in an incomplete pass." Elation! He doesn't convert on 4th and I win. I WIN!

Thanks refs. I don't even think I can challenge on M25 (have not found an option), let alone have the CPU AI logically challenge a call by itself.

NOTE TO SELF: Really need to get some recording hardware to save these games.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1

Coaches Challenges
Playing a buddy of mine the other day - one of those desperate, slugfests where any movement of the ball is earned. Less than two minutes left in the 4th quarter and he gets the ball back on his 20 with 3 timeouts. He starts driving and you can just begin to feel the momentum swinging his way - to all those APF faithful, you know this dreadful feeling.

On 3rd & long my DL busts through giving chase to the QB who flips it to the RB in the flats. FUMBLE! The ball is on the ground, my defense swarms, but my opponent picks up the ball. A 20 remarkable yard scamper later and he's now on my side of the 50.

Wait one second: the booth has issued a challenge.

"After further review, the previous play was a forward pass. There was no fumble on the play. The play results in an incomplete pass." Elation! He doesn't convert on 4th and I win. I WIN!

Thanks refs. I don't even think I can challenge on M25 (have not found an option), let alone have the CPU AI logically challenge a call by itself.

NOTE TO SELF: Really need to get some recording hardware to save these games.
While I've never played APF, I had a similar thing happen in 2k5 against the CPU. I thought I had a game-sealing fumble recovery, only to have the CPU challenge it and have it overturned. (Knee was down! ) I still won as it failed to score, but still....it was a tense situation while awaiting the ref's decision. (Just like real life!!!)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-28-2014, 08:17 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

The on-field calls in this game have "human error" built into them. Refs will make mistakes on the field.

But if a challenge happens, it will result in the correct call being made 99% of the time.

So it's always important to manage your timeouts and not waste them, because you could get stuck in a situation where the refs screw up a call on the field, and you can't call a challenge to get it correctly reversed.

Just like real life.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »