Home

Generic Receiver types & other questions.

This is a discussion on Generic Receiver types & other questions. within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 08-08-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38
Re: Generic Receiver types & other questions.

Rod Woodson, who is a playable cornerback legend in APF 2K8, also played free safety later in his career.

It's not unheard of for corners to play free safety.

Moving corners to strong safety would be a big stretch, though. I can't think of any examples where that has happened. Usually, the alternate position for strong safeties is linebacker. I remember Jermaine Phillips having recent success at both places in his career.

Last edited by jyoung; 08-08-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #10
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Ronnie Lott Pro Bowl'd at every secondary position, I believe. And I do know for a fact, Mel Renfro began his career at safety and ended as a CB.

At this point (7+ years later), I'm fine with anyone subbing within a position group like DE/DTs, LB corps, S/CB, OL along the Line, TE/FB, etc... there's even a case for some DEs as OLB's in 3-4 alignments.

What always irked me is WRs at TE as it seems the game doesn't penalize WRs as much as it should for the lack of weight and blocking ability. Can't tell you how many times I've seen Rob Moore or Dallas Clark at TE take out my OLB on stretches. Another is WRs at RB* simply because far too many people would take a speedy WR and run constant Iso's for an easy 3+ yard gain.

* Although guys like Charley Taylor and Bobby Mitchell had plenty of success at both positions in their careers.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yes Woodson was All Pro at both CB and FS. I believe earlier in his career, Lott played corner back as well. Woodson plays lights out against me, he seems to disappear when he is on my team (although he is excellent returner) love his attributes though. Another gold defesive back that I don't get much out of is FS Willie Wood. That is one of the reasons I went to 3 CBs online, he couldn't cover gold or silver TEs in man coverage that well. Many people claim he has the best hands of a Defensive Back in the game though. (the Ed Reed of 2K8). I tried numerous online games, guys like Shannon Sharpe, Ditka, Mackey and Coats ate him up. Albert Lewis fares much better, cheaper too. I think Willie Wood is an average returner at best. I know he Is over used online, Lott is a much more complete player in my opinion. Another thing that help me online is to have 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze Defensive Backs. 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze WR/TE. The rest of my teams were filled out with a legends at QB, HB, DE/ DT, 2 LBs. More time than not, Ditka and HB Snell (silver Natrone Means, but better in pass protection) found spots on my teams. These teams seemed the most balanced of my teams. I also had an easier time making in game adjustments in most cases. I like close competive games and with a balanced team like this. If my opponent loaded up with defensive backs, I was able to pound the rock with Snell and with Ditka and good run blocking WRs clearing the way. If they sold out against the run I still had a good pass blocking generic Oline, Snell as personal protector, gold (usually Ditka), silver, bronze WR/TE. Of course my preferred 4th option is usually my boy Possession WR Husak. My stick skills are poor and I never corner hot route or other glaring exploits so my record was never great, but win or lose against highly ranked or bum, my games online are almost always close.

Last edited by dirtypeter; 08-08-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #12
Rookie

Branchurian's Arena

OVR: 0

Man, reading all the comments bring a flood of memories, good times & pain lol. I played heavily on PS3, when it first came out to the day they shut the servers off. I have to agree that all the generics brought something different to the table, which is why every team I made I went out of the way to make sure no team replicated itself including the generics on the team. It was an OCD pleasure of mine & I must admit that it gave each team it's on unique attitude along with the legends that accompanied them.
P.S. Dirty Peter, I had Willie Wood & Ronnie Lott in Deep Field together. I don't know if it was Lott's leadership, but Willie Wood was a goddamn man on the field, but without he can be subpar....the worst FS ever is Cliff Harris, even with Lott Leadership he could not get right. Being a longtime cowboy fan, seems that they snubbed alot of old cowboy defenders. However, they made sure the offensive players were legit. God I miss this game so much, gave us the power of GM, coach & player all in one with great gameplay. That's why I'll hold on to it until the day 2K returns or surpassed.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #13
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypeter
Woodson...Willie Wood... Cliff Harris
I've had varying degrees of success with these players. Guys like Lott are guys you can build a team around because they're so versatile. Woodson, Wood & Harris are players with specific skills in which you build a team to help support them.

Cliff Harris. Yes, he's a liability in coverage and not a guy you want in man coverage against an elite pass catcher, but remember coverage is not his game. He's an old school smash-mouth Safety and so needs to play near the box and in more shallow zones. He will destroy any run game and prevent big run play from going long. With that said, to use him you will need to support him with at least one shutdown CB and another safety with coverage/zone skills over the top. Picture him as a glorified LB with coverage skills.

Willie Wood. He's a classic center fielder who does not like to get his uniform dirty. Take run coverage responsibilities away from him and let him sit back. He's amazing when doubling a WR (even if your CB is a Generic) or sitting in a double zone. Surround him with a talented front seven that can keep the game in front of him and he'll make plays.

Rod Woodson. He's a zone guy through and through, just like he was for the Steelers. He can make plays as a man-to-man corner but he's better served as a zone guy who can keep his eyes on the backfield for additional run support. Guy has burned me way to many times on Special Teams, as well, although, I've never had any luck with him as a returner.

This was the beauty of APF: players had qualities, traits, strengths and weaknesses similar to their real-life style of play, and team building was always a chess match. No one team could dominate against every team.

Dang, you guys got me fired up. May get a game in tonight!
Old 08-08-2014, 09:35 PM   #14
Rookie

elgreazy1 and Branchurian you guys are so right, these legends need to placed in the best position to succeed. Playcalling is huge too. I too miss playing this online on my PS3. It was a very sad day when 2K shut down the PS3 servers. If they would just create a new game, even if it were made up legends like Mark Smith from the XBox 360, I would be so happy. Damn I miss online games. 2K8 best sports game ever! Even for a guy like me with poor stick skills I could have some success with strategy, play calling, team creation. I also had my anti Earl/ Emmitt team, slow down Rice (Shut Down Willie Brown) team, my All White Guy Team (I lost to a girl online with this team), My Foot Steps Team (Tatum, Lloyd, Browner), My Bump Masters Team ( Willie Brown, Night Train/ Dave Wilcox and Lester Hayes), etc.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

I love using Mills as fifth receiver in shotgun sets..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #16
MVP

Awesome to see such enthusiasm still exists for this game! I figured this may be my last time playing it so I really wanted to take a deeper look at it. It's a shame it wasn't a bit more customizable because there's an awesome foundation there when it comes to team building. I love making a team knowing it has certain strengths but definitely certain weaknesses. Learning how to make the most of one while minimizing the other is what makes this game fun!

I agree with all the Leadership comments. That's really big on this game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »