Home

Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

This is a discussion on Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #17
LORDTHUNDERBIRD

Pappy Knuckles's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
if 2k adds a franchise mode to APF, make it an all fictional league. then yes.
it would probably still be a niche product, but it would sell. APF2k8 game-play is still alot better than the current Madden.

the tiered/bronze, gold etc players was a great idea that kept the game play balanced and would go a long way in a franchise mode.
in addition, a fictional league that keeps historical records, where the users universe plays out in its own world would be great for us stats geeks.

starting a franchise league from year one has so much potential. in the draft do you draft a 21 year old rookie or do you draft a 33 year old qb with some professional experience. those types of elements in the APF player tiered structure really adds an element of team building

2k dropped the ball when they didnt include a franchise mode in the original APF2k
Great post. The tier system was fantastic. Experimenting with different lineups added a ton of replayability on its own. If that game had a franchise similar to what you have suggested.. oh man. I might still be playing it today.

I've often wondered where 2K football would be at this point if they never stepped away from the sport. It's hard to look at what NBA 2K has evolved into and not think like that sometimes. I think Madden getting an exclusive license was one of the worst things to ever happen in the landscape of sports gaming. We could've had something special and were robbed of any possibility of it happening.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
You literally quoted where I said it's not just about franchise, and then have gone way down the rabbit hole arguing a point that I didn't make.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Where?

Quote:
No franchise, no purchase. No modes (franchise or otherwise) to keep people interested for an extend period is largely a non-starter in sports games. APF is the prime example of that mistake.
In the context of 2007, how does lack of "modes (franchise or otherwise) to keep people interested for an extend period" explain 2K8's monetary failure in relation to Madden 08?
Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 PM   #19
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
Your "point" evidenced franchise as the primary driver for that. Your assertion that "no modes (franchise or otherwise)" means more than just franchise does not work, because the only thing Madden 08 had that 2K8 didn't is franchise.
I said no modes providing longevity. Franchise or otherwise. Everything else is a point pulled from your imagination. I didn't say franchise had to be a primary driver, I said a sports game needed longevity. 'No franchise, no purchase' is my response to the thread title and a direct rebuttal to your suggestion they just remaster the game with some tweaks. The value proposition failed spectacularly originally (to the point they abandoned the franchise). 'Remastering it with tweaks and removing recognizable players' like you suggested I don't see why it would be any different, taking a failed title and making it even less desirable.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #20
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Them saying that losing the NFL license was a great thing, because it allowed to devote a lot more resources to NBA. Now only sports games they have is NBA, WWE, and Golf Club. They are not in the Football, Soccer, Baseball, College, and Hockey business. If they really wanted to continue with Football, they could have went back to College Football. I don't think the NCAA license was exclusive. I just don't think 2k felt college sports was marketable enough since they dropped out of College Football in 2002 and College Hoops in 2007 and that game was well regarded.

I don't think WWE 2k is as success, so possible they could want another sports genre in the market. But at same time, limited sports games allow them to divulge tons of resources to their money maker NBA2k every year. When you see a different MyCareer story EVERY year, they have a lot of resources. But I do feel NBA 2k is solid enough where they can afford to spare resources to build a football game. The thing with them is they would have to realistic about sales. In the PS2 days, Madden was the juggernaut with sales. Besides 2k5, 2k wasn't close to Madden sale. Just like Live isn't going to come close to NBA 2k's numbers. Their hope would be a lot of Madden gamers who are tired of Madden
Old 05-24-2019, 05:21 AM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 0

I wouldn’t mind playing 2k football game with or without license that has franchise and season mode. They could easily bring back Apf series with legends, playbooks, teams from defunct leagues and coaches!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #22
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar4k5
I wouldn’t mind playing 2k football game with or without license that has franchise and season mode. They could easily bring back Apf series with legends, playbooks, teams from defunct leagues and coaches!!
Why do you think that would be easy, out of curiosity? They'd still have to license everything you just referenced, and re-architect the game for very different consoles.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Why do you think that would be easy, out of curiosity? They'd still have to license everything you just referenced, and re-architect the game for very different consoles.

I agree, it isn't as simple as people think it is
One) You can't just port an old sports game to a newer console. There is a reason we don't see official remasters for sports games. Its different from what you see in the YouTube PC videos. If you modernized graphics, you have to modernize gameplay as well. For as good as APF animations were, it would look very wonky on current graphics. You are just better off building a new engine, but it isn't that simple to invest in new engine.
Two) it would cost a lot to re-license those players and update the game to a new generation of consoles. Heck, you would have to update it to the next generation as well. A game that was based off of the PS2/Xbox engine, would not easy to convert to Ps5/new Xbox. They couldn't just use the same legends again. They would have to get more. Most high profile legends probably don't want to associate their new on something that isn't high profile. Even if they can get some current former players, it wouldn't be as profitable.

Three) if a game with NFL legends didn't sell well 12 years ago, it damn sure wouldn't sell well now. The casual fan won't know many NFL legends outside of certain players. A generic football wouldn't sell. They would have to go crazy in depth to sell that game. Even then, it would still need to promotion from a high profile recently retired player because a current player wouldn't risk it.

Only way, I see 2k making a football game is if NFL license becomes available. That seems unlikely because Madden sells well each year and doesn't rock the boat. Madden and NFL has kept the exclusive license updates very quiet. We don't really know when it expires again. I think they last renewed it 2016. The ESPN license ends next year. EA mainly uses it just for advertising. So 2k could possibly go back for ESPN license. That could open the door
Old 05-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

I'd be absolutely interested just to see how far advanced 2k football would be on the field in all aspects of gameplay since APF2k8 was and still is ahead of its time. But that doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things. 2k/Visual Concepts themselves have to first be interested and then there has to be a market for the game. I see neither one happening. An XFL2k game would be more likely but that's not saying much either as it falls on the same conditions. The NFL/NFLPA license is where the power is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »