Home

Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

This is a discussion on Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Graphically APF looks fine to me, I play on PS3 and on 65” 4K TV. If I stand 3 ft away the jaggies are obviously noticeable, but when I’m playing 10 ft away, I don’t even notice it. Areas that look aged are field texture and texture fidelity of players when not zoomed in, but overall graphics are good enough especially since the animations and player movement are still top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-10-2019, 08:49 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZEMPLE
Graphically APF looks fine to me, I play on PS3 and on 65” 4K TV. If I stand 3 ft away the jaggies are obviously noticeable, but when I’m playing 10 ft away, I don’t even notice it. Areas that look aged are field texture and texture fidelity of players when not zoomed in, but overall graphics are good enough especially since the animations and player movement are still top notch.

I fired it up again this week and I completely agree. The amazing player movement, reactions, interactions and realism that this game possesses makes it impossible to play Madden. I'm continually blown away with how incredible this game plays and feels compared the other option.

I just wish 2k would invest in making an unlicensed game that had everything 2k BBall has. Add in the online franchise component and I'd pay 500.00 per year easily for it. Maybe more...
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I still play APF and in game 15th game of season. I play on 360 and don't really notice the jaggies. The lack of depth is obviously there. But I can still have fun from a game play perspective. I can build a shut down defense without needing a speed burner. I feel like Height and weight has a impact. Where I have a 6'6 250 TE who can break tackles when he has a head of steams. Talent matters in the game. If your facing silver or gold DBs, you really have pick and choose when to pass it around them. I had a WR get a quick release on a lob fade route, so I tried to bullet it in there. But the opposing DB had a Gold FS who was able to break on the ball and get a diving INT. Thats one thing I always preferred over Madden. 2k8 didn't have those two-man animations and you really don't see the players suctioned into making plays. The gameplay was so smooth. Last this animation sequence play out that I replay a few times. My RB was rushing through the hole with a SS closing down on him with a TE behind him. I used the right analog stick for a special move. My RB stopped on a dime causing my TE to block the SS. Then my RB automatically spinned around that avoiding contact. As my RB was finishing the spin he ended up right beside a teammate who was blocking another defender. He was able to push off the teammate to get a couple more yards. Play was so smooth.

I would love for a generic 2k game with depth. I wished 2k wasn't so quick to scrap a game with poor sales. I don't need legends. I feel like they should have skipped 2k9 and did a 2k10 and focused on depth. With uncertainty of NFL license ever coming available and it taking years before XFL being successful enough for a licensed game, I don't see 2k jumping back into football anytime soon. 2k cares too much about having good sales. Where so many of their sports games have been canceled because of poor sales. Where now they are just down to NBA 2k(&Playgrounds), WWE, and Golf Club. They put most of their resources into NBA 2k which why you see the constant changes to MyCareer storylines with celebrities and online mode changes. As a Sporting games company, I wish they made more sports games. Thats one thing about EA. Besides Baseball and NCAA, EA have their hands into major sports. And Baseball and NCAA are because of licensing issues. If it wasn't for next gen coming around, I feel they could devote resources to start back up other sports games.

Last edited by illwill10; 07-10-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #36
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASZEMPLE

Framerate is the bigger concern for me.

As far as changes from 2K5 to this, something about the player models are off for me. Maybe they got too tall, or the numbers got too skinny, or something like that. Some of the camera movement also got a bit weird for me, a bit floatier and the "follow behind" angles aren't my favorite. The circle under the players not having that blue/red flashing is a bummer too, because that was an aesthetically pleasing look in 2K4 and 2K5 (plus when you used a move after that and it got that bigger shockwave effect, you "felt" it more than you do in 2K8). Faces and textures overall were muddy and gross-looking, even if you knew who was who. There are just things jumping to the next-gen and this generic platform that simply weren't as good as 2K5 was, even if the gameplay was superior. Still couldn't return punts and kickoffs, but eh you know. I've always preferred this game's control and movement over Madden, and 2K8 didn't take the essentials of that away.

Presentation-wise, I've never been a fan of the "2K red" look. I really wish they still had ESPN when they made this game. Made a world of difference for me. Also, the Dan Stevens guy started to get a little squeaky in this game. I love Dan & Peter and wish they were still doing their thing, but he was starting to lose his touch just a little as well.

Anyway, the reason I wanted a "no stars" option is because no generic player can ever be what those stars are. You can't have a diamond in the rough in this game. They are always inferior. Plus, it negates the ability to have a franchise mode since they are essentially ageless in this game.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 07-10-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:47 PM   #37
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Anyway, the reason I wanted a "no stars" option is because no generic player can ever be what those stars are. You can't have a diamond in the rough in this game. They are always inferior. Plus, it negates the ability to have a franchise mode since they are essentially ageless in this game.
I agree. While you always see a generic Player make plays here and there, I would never gameplan around or against a generic player. But I do like the difference a gold star can make compared to generic. There's a huge difference when your Gold Star QB gets injured and a generic comes in. You really have to change up your whole playstyle. But you notice how I think all generated teams in APF has at least a bronze QB and HB.
I agree there could be a generic 2K football game without legends or "stars". Just keep the abilities, but unlock ability to edit ratings. Even if you hex edit ratings, I don't think they made a difference because gameplay was tied more into abilities.

Last edited by illwill10; 07-10-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:56 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 10

It was tried. 2K8 was the best chance for an alternative title. And it did nothing as far as providing us with a modifiable football game to combat Madden.
At this point, if you don't like Madden, Madden 08 PC modded and NFL 2K5 are the best alternatives, and overall the best options period.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:05 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

Since September is around corner, we are about month in half to 2 months(end of October) away from hearing about the findings from the NCAA Working Group about player compensation. Besides a few small reports, everything has been hush hush since the May 17 announcement. While there is optimism, there is doubts. NCAA has really painted themselves as villians. Even if they do agree on Player compensation, there are still hurdles to clear. We don't know how soon it will take place, if NCAA can come up with an agreeable compensation(Olympic seems to be mass preference), and if NCAA and a gaming company can come up with deal. NCAA is sure to make sure to have a lot more input this time around and doubt they will allow roster sharing. But even if they find an agreement. Not sure if 2k wants to jump back into college market. College Football is the strongest market, but not sure if they want to build a football engine for college football. It'll be alot easier to go into CBB, but market isn't as strong.

XFL could be option. There were rumors that either Axis or Maximum were trying to aqcuire the AAF license before it went belly up. I feel XFL should have more success this time around for several reasons. Mainly because hopefully they learned from first time and resources/finances shouldn't be issue like AAF. They need fans to enjoy product on the field and need some marketable players not just NFLs casts offs. Having a good video game can really help marketability for sport. I think if XFL is received well during the season, they should start looking for companys to develop a video game and realistically have one out before start of 3rd season(2022). The biggest company they could get is 2k. But I think for 2k to be interested, XFL has to coming out blazing hot. I think they are still waiting on NFL to open up. But since NFL loves/prefers exclusives, there's little chance because of how well Madden sales yearly.

I would love 2k Sports to expand back out its game catalog. With it mainly being just NBA, it allowed them to focus heavily on NBA. It has been a success. But I feel it is time for them to expand its sports genres. After year 2 of next gen and NBA 2k gets fully settled into next gen, I would want them to add more games. I'm not at all opposed to a generic football game as long as it has quality gameplay/graphics and depth. But realistically, major companies wont consider that because it won't sell well.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:06 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
It was tried. 2K8 was the best chance for an alternative title. And it did nothing as far as providing us with a modifiable football game to combat Madden.
At this point, if you don't like Madden, Madden 08 PC modded and NFL 2K5 are the best alternatives, and overall the best options period.

King Javo’s editor makes APF 2k8 fully customizable now, you can create full rosters and teams, and even create a franchise if you want.

Twitter: 2k Football Now
YouTube: 2k Football Now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »