Home

Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

This is a discussion on Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
WWE 2K22 Trailer Announcement and Breakdown
EA Sports PGA TOUR to Exclusively Have All Four Majors
Next-Gen Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2: Is the Upgrade Worth It?
Poll: What's more important to you, when the time comes to purchase a game? (Click to vote)

Old 12-10-2019, 10:37 PM   #49
MVP

UFCMPunk's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Ok after playing APF 2K8 for the first time, I completely change my mind.

Give me a generic game with the ability to customize teams like APF does and a logo editor.

Throw me in a good franchise mode, generic version of NFL 2K5 is good enough for me.

Iíd pay $99.99 for this type of game honestly if it had the 2K football feel.
This is why I've been hoping for Maxium Football to succeed with it being generic and having a dynasty mode. That if it was successful, 2K or anyone could see that a generic football game without any license could ideally work. If you take MyLeague with all it's customization options and apply it to a Football Franchise Mode, it could work.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #50
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Absolutely, but they need to make it fully customizable. Roster customization is a must, itís the way it used to be whenever you played a non-NFL(PA) game back in the day on PC. Itíd be nice if rules and league size is also customizable so it can represent any form of football. Have Canadian, US and collegiate rules that you can even mix and match, and choose from 8 to 140 teams in a league so people can make a XFL to NCAA leagues and all that good stuff.

APF really failed at creating a game that can implement a franchise. I didnít like the idea of them paying for the legends and it hurt them. They paid for a two deal with those legends and only got a year out of it, plus they said it gave them difficulties with how to do a franchise mode. They really shot themselves in the foot, most fans wanted some type of franchise mode more than anything along with truly full customization.

Last edited by TheGentlemanGhost; 12-18-2019 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 08:23 PM   #51
Rookie

Icon11 Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

I would hope they bring back even more legends. Imagine APF2K with these next gen graphics !

They need a full season mode that will allow all teams to be user controlled if anyone wanted that option. 32 teams is a must! Every sports game needs to copy or find a way to mimic MLB the Show's Diamond Dynasty Logo Editor. With an editor like that, there would be so much community created content. So you damn right I would buy this game. I would buy it for every console and get copies. This game needs to be made ASAP!

RuthLess2KPro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-22-2020, 03:54 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

According to SGO, XFL is in talks with a video game publisher regarding a game. It would make sense. Video games are good for marketing new league and could bring in new viewers. The publisher would want to wait until the XFL announces a second season before announcing a partnership. Last thing they would want is a Axis/AAF situation.

If true, most likely is 2k. NFL probably won't allow EA to do it(no one would want that anyway), Maximum is looking towards NCAA, And Axis tried with AAF. I think XFL would want a more experienced developer and a 2k football would help market XFL than a indie football game. They already have a relationship with WWE, so it makes sense. It makes sense that 2k wants to see XFL make it to a second season before making any announcements. 2k would want them to have initial success. 2k has shown that they will drop a game If it isn't profitable. I would love 2k football game. But I could see them having to take a APF 2k8 route. You can't have a franchise mode without understanding how the off-season will work in XFL. So they would have to do a similar style game to APF and be patient.

But I would buy it day one. If they could build upon 2k8s strength, more depth, and more customization. APF from a gameplay POV, was the best gameplay. If XFL can get to that relatively quick, then it would set up for success
Old 01-26-2020, 10:37 PM   #53
Rookie

I think 2K could of had something special with APF. The reason it didnít sell well was because the game was so bare bones, it had nothing but a single season and people donít want that. Plus the customization could of been way better. If they would bring it back with more legends, Backbreaker customization,franchise mode and the crib with updated graphics, the game would sell very well.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:54 PM   #54
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I wasn't a fan of a lot of APF, outside of gameplay and core mechanics. I think it lost a lot that 2K5 had, and it was a very cheesy feeling experience. I would prefer not to have legends for several reasons.

Really hoping they can nab the XFL if they don't ever dip into the NFL pool. Also hoping for large amounts of customization.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 AM   #55
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by testyourmight
I think 2K could of had something special with APF. The reason it didnít sell well was because the game was so bare bones, it had nothing but a single season and people donít want that. Plus the customization could of been way better. If they would bring it back with more legends, Backbreaker customization,franchise mode and the crib with updated graphics, the game would sell very well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I wasn't a fan of a lot of APF, outside of gameplay and core mechanics. I think it lost a lot that 2K5 had, and it was a very cheesy feeling experience. I would prefer not to have legends for several reasons.

Really hoping they can nab the XFL if they don't ever dip into the NFL pool. Also hoping for large amounts of customization.
I agree. Outside of on the field, the game left a lot to be imagined. The problem was the approach of APF. Not only did they took a huge step back depth wise from 2k5, the Legends approach couldn't allow them to expand in the future. I get that a fully generic game would have sold even worse. But with Legends, you can't really have a franchise mode since there couldn't be a salary cap and would have to find a way to phase out legends and bring in new players. The problem with the legends was that the casual fan would only know a hand full of legends anyway. I was 15 when the game out and could only recognize a few legends. But from a pure gameplay perspective, still my favorite football games. The gameplay was so smooth in all stages. From passing mechanics, Line play, to matchups mattering APF tops it for me. Madden has always felt like Speed was King. In APF, I created teams with 2 or less speed demons and still was a dominant team.

2k would be the best one to develop XFL. A Indie company wouldn't be able to get as much exposure as 2k would. Already have a relationship with McMahon. 2k would just want to see them announce a second season before committing to a football game. I don't see an opportunity for a NFL game. NFL is not probably backing down from its exclusive branding and Madden will continue to sell well. So, XFL might be the only option to have a licensed football game. The only thing is that it might have to take the APF approach as far as depth. We don't have an idea of what an off season for XFL would look like. So for the first year, the most important thing would be laying the foundation for future. They would be building a engine from scratch. The APF engine was essentially an upgraded version of the 2k5 engine. So I couldn't imagine them not building something new. If they could have solid gameplay, deep customization(ability to create team/uniform and stadium) and find a way to add initial depth outside of a franchise mode in year one, then they would have some thing to build off of. They shouldn't look to compete with Madden and not focus on initial sales. They would need patience. Even if they would have to sell the game at $30-40, that might be necessary at first.

I would buy day one regardless. Earliest I could see a game is Jan 2022 though. If 2k does want to wait until a second season is announced, then 2k would need time to develop a engine with XFL in mind. That would take time. I know they would need more than a year to develop a new game. So XFL would need to make it at least year 3 before we see a XFL game regardless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-29-2020, 09:26 AM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 2
Talking Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

lots of great point/counterpoint posts in this thread. i'm excited that we are all even having this conversation.

I get 2K's trepidation launching a new football game from a business perspective. But as a consumer, I'd say the 2K brand is strong, probably moreso than the XFL. People still criticize it for its early demise and question why Vince even wants to try it again. I imagine many others like myself would play an XFL 2K21 even if the league went belly up so quickly. I still play APF2K8 even though the teams are fantasy and there's been no updates.

let's not underestimate how much others want a new 2K football game.

Last edited by dazzo0007; 01-29-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: words

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »