Home

Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

This is a discussion on Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2019, 02:32 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Icon7 Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
I'd be absolutely interested just to see how far advanced 2k football would be on the field in all aspects of gameplay since APF2k8 was and still is ahead of its time. But that doesn't mean squat in the grand scheme of things. 2k/Visual Concepts themselves have to first be interested and then there has to be a market for the game. I see neither one happening. An XFL2k game would be more likely but that's not saying much either as it falls on the same conditions. The NFL/NFLPA license is where the power is.
I always wished they could go full in depth with the VIP system. Especially the one in 2k5. That was good in the sense user tendencies were tracked and you could even basically play against your self because CPU would use your tendencies. I would love in this day and age for CPU to fully take advantage of that and know your tendencies and play accordingly. Also would be great to see CPU coaches get assigned VIP system. Where each coach has full tendency list of how he calls plays based on situations. That way no two teams should play the same. I feel that VIP system could be huge for how the games are played.

I agree that I don't see their being a market for a generic, APF, or even XFL(unless very successful) for 2k to be interested. Even CFB, I don't see 2k being interested enough to build a football engine for a college football game. NFL is where it is at for 2k to be interested. Who knows when or if the NFL license will become available. But I know 2k/Take Two is in better financial shape to go after NFL license. I'm not sure about exclusive though. EA paid 300 mill in 2005, I know it is substantially higher now. And that 2k just signed a 7 year 1 billion contract with NBA license. So I don't know if they want to take up both. But I dont think EA will want any part of that contract with NBA Live. So there could be a change up and sports game landscape in the next few years
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Would you be interested in 2K football returning with no NFL license?

There is market for another 2k football game with franchise mode.. I believe 2k need acquire the licenses of defunct football leagues such as XFL, USFL, AAF and UFL. By owning the licenses of those leagues you can have access of stars i.e. Jim Kelly, Trent Richardson, Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia, Anthony Carter, Steve Young, Herschel Walker, Sam Mills and others. The player would even had access to real coaches such as well like Steve Spurrier, Marv Levy, Jim Fassel, Mike Martz, Dennis Green Marty Scotthemier and Jim Mora.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:35 AM   #27
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar4k5
There is market for another 2k football game with franchise mode.. I believe 2k need acquire the licenses of defunct football leagues such as XFL, USFL, AAF and UFL. By owning the licenses of those leagues you can have access of stars i.e. Jim Kelly, Trent Richardson, Daunte Culpepper, Jeff Garcia, Anthony Carter, Steve Young, Herschel Walker, Sam Mills and others. The player would even had access to real coaches such as well like Steve Spurrier, Marv Levy, Jim Fassel, Mike Martz, Dennis Green Marty Scotthemier and Jim Mora.
Defunct football leagues don't own the rights to any of those players, that's not typically how it works.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:26 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm late to the party, but if we got an APF game that didn't even include any legends, but had improved gameplay from 2k8 with more modern schemes and plays plus all of what they could take from MyLeague then I'd be more than happy to buy it. Madden has improved some over the years, but it still is not where it should be in my opinion. I have always favored 2k's gameplay and would jump on a new football game of theirs in a heartbeat if it was built off of 2k8's gameplay.

― Plato
Old 07-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #29
Banned

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar4k5
There is zero chance of this happening and it shouldn't happen, quite frankly. There is definitely a market for a realistic football game since we don't have one currently, but it doesn't need a license of any kind. Yes, we all love the NFL, but quite honestly, as someone who used to play Madden and in a league setting, you can get attached to fictional players and teams. It's not really the shield that matters anymore, it's the universe and the immersion. Look at what the SFL has done with APF2k8. All 2k would have to do is make a football game that includes the same realism and immersion that their NBA title has. You're not necessarily going to compete with Madden (at least early on), but it would prove to be very profitable. PES does it now with their soccer game, and it is a FANTASTIC game. Blows FIFA out of the water.

So much time has passed now that the shine of the license has worn off. People are so starved for a realistic football game with a deep franchise mode that it doesn't really matter anymore. It's now more about creating a football world that users can be immersed in. Give us a game that offers what NBA 2k offers without the branding and users would flock to it. The unfortunate part of this is that we have two talented indie shops who see the value in this, Canuck Play and Axis. They don't have the resources to build what we wish we could have. They've done great work with what they've got. If 2k would only wake up and give this a legit shot, we'd be good to go.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:29 PM   #30
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I would have enjoyed APF 2K8 much more without the legends, personally.

However, that game did start to transition to some weird things that I wasn't a fan of, mostly on the presentation front. The game started to appear awfully cheesy. Thankfully the gameplay was so damn good.

I'd still play it if the PS3 version wasn't 30 FPS and full of jaggies. We definitely got the short end of the stick there, compared to 360 users. Same thing with 2K5 on PS2 versus Xbox, but that was slightly more expected, I suppose.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 07-10-2019, 12:24 AM   #31
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

The 360 version is locked at 30 fps also is it not? And it is also full of jaggies. I was just playing it the other day and was wishing the emulators had it running because it hasn't aged gracefully in the looks department thanks to those jaggies.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2019, 01:13 AM   #32
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The 360 version is locked at 30 fps also is it not? And it is also full of jaggies. I was just playing it the other day and was wishing the emulators had it running because it hasn't aged gracefully in the looks department thanks to those jaggies.
I can't tell you about the amount of jaggies on the 360 version anymore because I haven't played it in over a decade, but I seem to remember it running at 60 FPS and I can guarantee that it is running superior AA to that of the PS3 version.

Try and look up comparison videos of both versions running at maximum performance. I'm sure you'll be able to note the differences rather quickly.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »