Home

TVSports: Garner, Albright, Long & Whang...

This is a discussion on TVSports: Garner, Albright, Long & Whang... within the APF 2K Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K > APF 2K Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Icon10 TVSports: Garner, Albright, Long & Whang...

Many, many years ago there was a videogame series from Cinemaware called TV Sports. They had pretty much the absolute best Football, Hockey and Basketball games of the late Eighties/early Nineties. One of my favorite games among them was TV Sports Basketball. It consisted of several teams in a fictitious league. Two of the best players were named after programmers, designers or testers for the game. Larry Garner, Jerry Albright, "All Night" Long and Bernie "Burning" Whang were among the best.

I just created a version of the Los Angeles Avengers (AFL) called the Los Angeles Sentinels (based upon Gladiators logo). I put them in the Miller Gold Stadium, since it is so obviously based upon the Los Angeles Coliseum. I was just playing a game and noticed a generic DE named Doug Garner got a sack, pretty much unmolested. Shortly after, a generic WR named Antwaan Albright caught a cool reception for a first down. I was astounded when I saw Garner's name on the jersey... I was outright FLOORED when I saw Albright's name. So I stopped the game and checked my roster to see if any of the other names I remembered appeared on my team.

Sadly, there don't appear to be any others. I have always felt that part of the reason why I enjoyed Visual Concepts work has been that it reminded me so much of the TV Sports series, only more advanced. I suspect that someone among the staff at VC remembers those old games, and may have decided to pay homage to those titles of lore.

I now need to find some type of memory card so that I can save my Roster file immediately... I've already lost it once due to a glitch and don't want to deal with that again. I don't think I'll be editing this team again. Has anyone else here come across players in APF2K8 whose names you remember from old Cinemaware TV Sports games?

Red Ronin
A giant robot constructed on the authority of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the U.N. by Stark Enterprises, the original RED RONIN was created to stop the global menace perpetuated by the continued existence of Godzilla. He failed.

[Red Ronin's posts are Closed Captioned for the Humour Impaired.]
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: TVSports: Garner, Albright, Long & Whang...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Ronin
Many, many years ago there was a videogame series from Cinemaware called TV Sports. They had pretty much the absolute best Football, Hockey and Basketball games of the late Eighties/early Nineties. One of my favorite games among them was TV Sports Basketball. It consisted of several teams in a fictitious league. Two of the best players were named after programmers, designers or testers for the game. Larry Garner, Jerry Albright, "All Night" Long and Bernie "Burning" Whang were among the best.

I just created a version of the Los Angeles Avengers (AFL) called the Los Angeles Sentinels (based upon Gladiators logo). I put them in the Miller Gold Stadium, since it is so obviously based upon the Los Angeles Coliseum. I was just playing a game and noticed a generic DE named Doug Garner got a sack, pretty much unmolested. Shortly after, a generic WR named Antwaan Albright caught a cool reception for a first down. I was astounded when I saw Garner's name on the jersey... I was outright FLOORED when I saw Albright's name. So I stopped the game and checked my roster to see if any of the other names I remembered appeared on my team.

Sadly, there don't appear to be any others. I have always felt that part of the reason why I enjoyed Visual Concepts work has been that it reminded me so much of the TV Sports series, only more advanced. I suspect that someone among the staff at VC remembers those old games, and may have decided to pay homage to those titles of lore.

I now need to find some type of memory card so that I can save my Roster file immediately... I've already lost it once due to a glitch and don't want to deal with that again. I don't think I'll be editing this team again. Has anyone else here come across players in APF2K8 whose names you remember from old Cinemaware TV Sports games?

Red Ronin

LOL me, my cousin and my brother used to rock that game in the summer months. My cousin would come down for two to three weeks and it was all nighters on TV Sports basketball.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K > APF 2K Rosters »