Home

Old 12-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #73
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The All-Underused Team

had to resurrect this thread.

I built a new team, similar to my last one, and wanted a power running back. I switched out a bronze DT for Rathman at FB. I chose Ottis Anderson (a silver) as his abilities fit exactly what I was looking for. Two games later and I am less than impressed. Way too slow for a silver HB even if he is a power back. Not enough power to break tackles. My last game, he had 20 carries for 56 yards. I wish I was making that up.

Switched him out for Curt Warner. If he does not fit what I need then perhaps I need to try a different type of back and that means Billy Sims is next if Warner isn't good.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #74
Rookie

OVR: 1

Warner and anderson, in order to perform up to their potential, need leadership somewhere on the offense. I was underwhelmed by their production until i had otto graham, or ditka or a lineman with leadership on the offensive side of the ball. After that, i can say they performed up to their skills and tier.
Old 12-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #75
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

OVR: 33

Nice to see some activity here for the first time in a long time. Sportsdude, you might consider Chris Warren. He's only got one ability, but he does it all: he runs with power and speed, and he can catch.

And Holykoran, I think your point is well-taken too. Unless you have a back that's super fast or really good at tapping out of tackles, then you need help on the line and at the TE position. Though most people don't use high picks on lineman, you might find that a couple of silver or gold picks on the line will help your back out a lot. I have a team with Dermontti Dawson at C and Tom Mack at G, and I really can tell a difference in my line play. Dawson in particular crushes guys, and a major difference that I've noticed especially with him is that he is really good at making the initial block and then moving to the next level at the appropriate point in the play. This has been my experience with other legend lineman with run blocking ability as well, namely Anthony Muñoz and Jim Otto.

I'll add someone to the list as well, while we're at it. Archie Manning is vastly underrated I think at silver. He is quick in the pocket and is able to pick up yards on the run, though he's not as fast as Cunningham. I've also noticed that the tough as nails attribute is no joke. With guys in his face, Manning will throw more spirals and more accurate balls than guys without that ability. If you don't have a great line, or if you don't have a lineman with the stonewall ability to keep your QB composed, then you will get more errant passes under pressure, more negative momentum after sacks, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #76
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

first game with Curt Warner:

I win 17-14. Warner rushed 20 times for 169 yards and two touchdowns. He also had four catches for 43 yards and no drops. He had a long of 86 (his first touchdown) and had four broken tackles. Still, as much as Warner was nice, I miss Matt Snell. Snell's ability to shoulder charge through two and three defenders ON ONE PLAY is unrivaled.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:00 AM   #77
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

Glad you liked Warren. I'm telling you, he's got it all: speed, shakes, power, receiving ability. I am actually building a team with Snell on it right now, so I'm looking forward to seeing the power in action and to using his blocking ability to open up some stuff for my FB.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #78
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

Another guy I'll add is Keith Jackson. People typically go for Coates or Christensen if they use a silver TE, but Jackson has some game. I just put him on an Eagles-inspired team with Cunningham at the helm, and Jackson showed some impressive toughness in my first game. He caught 6 for 100-plus, but what really surprised me was his strength after the catch: he broke four tackles, one of which was a death blow from a safety to the legs, which he knocked him back but not down before he scooted into the endzone. He did have a drop, but he also made a really nice catch over two shorter defenders, and hung onto a ball on a route where the FS rung his bell. I'm going to put him through more testing, and I'll report more later, but the initial results are promising.

A couple of defensive guys I'll speak to briefly are Lamar Lathon and Bryce Paup. I've played around a little with both, and have Lathon on one of my permanent teams. Both guys "arrive" when they tackle. They hit and play stoutly in the run game even though they're both pass rushers. Neither plays as fast as Wilson, the other pass rushing OLB at Bronze, but I think they're a little stronger overall.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #79
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Glad you liked Warren. I'm telling you, he's got it all: speed, shakes, power, receiving ability. I am actually building a team with Snell on it right now, so I'm looking forward to seeing the power in action and to using his blocking ability to open up some stuff for my FB.
uh, to clarify, it was Curt Warner, NOT Chris Warren.

when you use Snell, you need to get accustomed using the shoulder charge in the open field. I'm telling you man, if you break the line, charge up and unleash a shoulder charge on the next would-be tackler. You'll get an extra 5-15 yards, or if it's a safety, you probably got yourself a touchdown.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:22 AM   #80
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

Sorry, dude. I'm a couple of beers deep

Warner it is. I've actually wanted to give him and extended shot, so let me know how it goes.

And I'm definitely taking Snell up. I'm not all that good with the juke moves, so I'd love a guy that I can just truck with.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K > APF 2K Rosters »