Home

Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 AM   #41
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: The All-Underused Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Man
Nice squad. If you can get Snell going, control the clock, and get a turnover from at least one of your CBs (and you will every game, at least one, with those guys), it's over. I still haven't seen guys do much with him against me, so if you don't mind divulging just a bit, what sort of back is he. Does he work well from the I? Single back? Other sets?

No obligation to divulge, of course, but I am curious. He seems like the type of back who needs a couple of yards to get going, and I've got a line that doesn't typically allow that, so he usually gets hit before he can get rolling. I love his attribute set, though.
Like I said, I still have more testing to do with Snell. But so far he seems just like the attributes describe him. A horse that's gonna get you some yards the hard way. What I like is he can catch well and I did break one for a long TD (69 yards).

Formation-wise, it's tough to say because I run with a FB or second HB 90-95% of the time and never out of the shotgun. I ran one single back play (Kings HB Dive Right) and I caught the defense in a nickel so I got 11 yards. What I did notice was you don't have to run him dive/iso all the time. I ran him on spread/stretch plays with success, off tackle, weak power/strong power, with guards pulling and with no guards pulling and, well, he's a silver back for a reason.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #42
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

OVR: 33

I need to give it another go with him, then, 'cause when I tried, I was having a hard time with the stretch and power plays. I may have just been a little impatient that day, or I may have just faced a squad that was particularly "on." I've gone with Chris Warren, who is nowhere near the blocking stud that Snell is, but is a beastly power/speed combo and capable of putting up some sick numbers when he's on his A game.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:30 PM   #43
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

Quote:
I need to give it another go with him, then, 'cause when I tried, I was having a hard time with the stretch and power plays. I may have just been a little impatient that day, or I may have just faced a squad that was particularly "on." I've gone with Chris Warren, who is nowhere near the blocking stud that Snell is, but is a beastly power/speed combo and capable of putting up some sick numbers when he's on his A game.
Second game with my new team (and Snell). I wont 24-21. The dude had the cookie-cutter online offense of Cunningham, Rice, Moore, Metzelaars and Warren.

Dawson 10-11, 169 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Snell 14 carries, 98 yards, 2 TD, 7.0 average, long of 29, 3 broken tackles (as recorded by comp); 4 rec., 76 yards
Ricky Sanders 5 rec., 82 yards, 1 TD

Martin 3 tackles, 2 sacks
Simmons 2 tackles, 1 sack

For him:

Cunningham 9-16, 240 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT
Warren 7 carries, 34 yards, 4.9 average
Rice 1 rec., 23 yards
Moore 5 rec., 168 yards, 2 TD
Metzelaars 3 rec., 49 yards.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:21 PM   #44
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsdude
Second game with my new team (and Snell). I wont 24-21. The dude had the cookie-cutter online offense of Cunningham, Rice, Moore, Metzelaars and Warren.

Dawson 10-11, 169 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT
Snell 14 carries, 98 yards, 2 TD, 7.0 average, long of 29, 3 broken tackles (as recorded by comp); 4 rec., 76 yards
Ricky Sanders 5 rec., 82 yards, 1 TD

Martin 3 tackles, 2 sacks
Simmons 2 tackles, 1 sack

For him:

Cunningham 9-16, 240 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT
Warren 7 carries, 34 yards, 4.9 average
Rice 1 rec., 23 yards
Moore 5 rec., 168 yards, 2 TD
Metzelaars 3 rec., 49 yards.
Nice update. It sounds like you've really got Snell worked into your offense with his receiving contribution being as good as it is. I love that you've got some non-traditional picks as well. I kindof wish folks would be more imaginitive in with their picks (I see the offense you described so much that I never pick those guys because I'm sick of seeing them, with the exception of Warren, whom I never see online but love).

Ricky Sanders is a secret that's going to get out soon if it's not already. I don't see him online much, but I've played around with him and he's very reliable for a bronze. I just can't part with either of my receivers at the moment or I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:21 PM   #45
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

Quote:
Nice update. It sounds like you've really got Snell worked into your offense with his receiving contribution being as good as it is. I love that you've got some non-traditional picks as well. I kindof wish folks would be more imaginitive in with their picks (I see the offense you described so much that I never pick those guys because I'm sick of seeing them, with the exception of Warren, whom I never see online but love).

Ricky Sanders is a secret that's going to get out soon if it's not already. I don't see him online much, but I've played around with him and he's very reliable for a bronze. I just can't part with either of my receivers at the moment or I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Sanders is nice. Definitely one of my favorite bronze receivers.

Third game with Snell and the legend d-line. Won, 21-14. The guy had some silver QB (not Cunningham), Christensen, Moore, OJ Simpson and John Taylor. Defense, He had Rod Woodson, Lem Barney, all bronze LB crew and one bronze d-lineman.

I accidentally left the game before copying the stats, but these are fairly accurate.

Dawson 12-17, 207 yards, 1 TD, 2 INT. Ugh. First int, I panicked on a blitz, threw it too early it was picked. Second, I thought I had my guy wide open in the endzone, but his FS like chameleoned into the same color and literally appeared out of nowhere to pick it. These picks almost cost me the game.

Snell 14 carries, 40 yards, 2 TD; 7 rec. 95 yards, 1 TD. Rushing, Snell was limited. I misread some holes, became kind of stagnant in my playcalling. There were three runs where he got tackled after 6 yards, but had he broken that tackle, would've had 20-30 more yards. I had 5 recorded broken tackles, but the best was on a toss the right and the only unblocked guy between me and the first down 10 yards away was a hard charging Lem Barney. Charged up and unleashed a wicked shoulder charge on Barney that literally threw him 5 yards backwards. 15 yard gain, it was pretty sweet.

Uh, receivers didn't do much. Hit Taylor on a key 49 yard catch that swung momentum in my favor.

for him, his QB was like 9-17 for 160 yards, 1 td 2 INT. OJ was like 12 carries for 60 yards.

Basically, his offense was run with OJ, throw to Christensen. I matched up Night train on him and put that to an end. Funny, my two INTs on his QB were from my generic CB matched on a bronze receiver when I switched Night Train to Christensen. The guy knew how to take advantage of mis-matches, but my generic CB made a case to earn a bronze star of his own.

In the end, it was an ugly game for me, but the bottom line is that I won.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM   #46
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

Fourth game with Snell and all legend d-line. I won 48-21. The guy quit with 1 min left because on consecutive offensive plays for him I intercepted him and housed them both.

This guy had Montana, some bronze receiver, Okoye, Ismail and a user-made silver WR who was 7 feet tall and like 250 pounds but moved like Jerry Rice. On defense, he had Mike Singletary, one bronze d-lineman, Albert Lewis and Terry McDaniel and some bronze FS, his defense stood no chance. can't remember his 11th legend, you can tell it made no difference anyway.

Since he quit, I couldn't get the stats, but he's an approximation which is mostly accurate.

Snell, 16 carries, 86 yards 3 TD; 5 rec., 45 yards. Oh man, the shoulder charge is the key for this guy. I barreled over like 3 guys on one play with this move. The best is when it's fully charged and you unleash on it a guy who's coming at an angle. No chance.

Dawson, 14-17, 198 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. I was running well and mixed in my passing plays at the most perfect times. 3rd and 3, I'm up by 7 with 1 min in the 3rd quarter and I know I have to score because I was having hard time containing his hurry-up cheesefense. I had gone to Snell every play that drive with the previous being isos. I come out in i-form twins left with a passing play and he's got everybody pressed up to the line. It's over. I hot route two streaks and Taylor could've napped his way into the end zone.

So I'm up 35-21 with 4:45 in the fourth and he runs one running play out of i-form then no huddles to a 4-wr set. First play is post out to Coates, picked (one-handed!) and run back by Willie brown. I kickoff, literally his first play next series, 10-yard out to his cheese WR and it's easily picked by Night Train and easily run back for a TD. I get set up to kick the field goal and then the message comes up "waiting for opponent....5....4...3" lol.

I had two sacks. One coverage, one legit. Going against all-generic d-line, I did not get the penetration I would've liked, but Okoye was shut down. One more game before the experiment is over.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:06 AM   #47
All Star

EnglishBull34's Arena

Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper squad, man. I would have never guessed that Snell would be such a double-threat with his receiving, but it sounds like he's got good hands and he obviously has the power to be a threat at the second level.

I'm a huge fan of the legend d-line, though my squad, which has two golds on the line, has been playing poorly of late. There's nothing like pressure. Good players at the skill positions don't matter if they can't get rolling or if the QB doesn't have enough time to make his reads.

Len Dawson also sounds like a nice piece to your puzzle--you're routinely accurate with him. There are just so many guys out there that I never see people try, and it sounds like folks are missing out.

I wish you played on the PS3 so I could see this team in action. It reminds me of my Raiders team, which has a few guys you don't see all that often. Ken Stabler is a lot of fun to play with at QB, though most seem to go for Cunningham at silver. He can really air it out, he's clutch, and the "deception" thing he's got going on can really work to your advantage. I did a pump-fake to Christensen on a play that I intended to send Gault's way, and not only did it pull in the safety, it put the CB out of position as well. The result was a long TD right before the half to put me up in a game that I wound up winning by ten.

I've thought it would be cool to have a team with Snell and someone at FB who could run just so the offense couldn't be sure who was getting the ball, even if they knew it was a run. Have you tried this?
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 PM   #48
Be Massive

sportsdude's Arena

Quote:
Sounds like you've got yourself a keeper squad, man. I would have never guessed that Snell would be such a double-threat with his receiving, but it sounds like he's got good hands and he obviously has the power to be a threat at the second level.

I'm a huge fan of the legend d-line, though my squad, which has two golds on the line, has been playing poorly of late. There's nothing like pressure. Good players at the skill positions don't matter if they can't get rolling or if the QB doesn't have enough time to make his reads.

Len Dawson also sounds like a nice piece to your puzzle--you're routinely accurate with him. There are just so many guys out there that I never see people try, and it sounds like folks are missing out.

I wish you played on the PS3 so I could see this team in action. It reminds me of my Raiders team, which has a few guys you don't see all that often. Ken Stabler is a lot of fun to play with at QB, though most seem to go for Cunningham at silver. He can really air it out, he's clutch, and the "deception" thing he's got going on can really work to your advantage. I did a pump-fake to Christensen on a play that I intended to send Gault's way, and not only did it pull in the safety, it put the CB out of position as well. The result was a long TD right before the half to put me up in a game that I wound up winning by ten.

I've thought it would be cool to have a team with Snell and someone at FB who could run just so the offense couldn't be sure who was getting the ball, even if they knew it was a run. Have you tried this?
Using three legends on the d-line I have no room for a legend fullback.

Of course I wish we could cross-platform online, I'd love to play some of you ps3 guys. I know Gears is planning on having this capability, I wish more games did.

I do think the team is a keeper but sometimes I wish the legends were better against the run. If the RB gets past my line, it's pretty much a given my LBs will whiff on the tackle even though I've picked a run-stopping crew. Nobody's burned me yet with the run, but the potential has been there.

Dawson is a lot of fun to play with. He doesn't throw as hard as Montana (my usual QB) but sometimes that's a good thing. He's got nice touch on the medium passes as well.

Ricky Sanders is automatically on any other team I make. For a bronze receiver, he is incredible, just a terrific option. The best thing about him besides his ability to catch everything is that I feel like he's always open, even against silver and gold corners.

legend d-line is hit and miss for me. There's not as much pressure or penetration as I would like. Still, the sack numbers I've achieved with them are nice and the best part is the line seems ideal for third and long plays. There's nothing I hate more than giving up a third-and-long because there's no pressure on the QB.

I wish I could have a legend at SS but so far it hasn't affected me much. The generic has been burned a couple times, most notably for a long TD pass at the end of a first half to Christensen.

Two gold corners is nice. When you can consistently make your opponents complete less than 50% of their passes, it's much easier to play defense.

There's not much more I can say about Snell. Tough runner, never gets tired, takes a beating, dishes it out. A charged up shoulder charge will send pretty much every defender flying. Bronze LBs literally bounce off him. Line him up in the slot and if he draws a linebacker that's a big mismatch there.

One more game but overall I like the team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K > APF 2K Rosters »