Home

Old 12-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #33
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: New Screens

Love how these same things that Madden gets hated on for are the things a lot of you are giving Backbreaker a pass on. I guess any football game that doesn't have an EA logo on it gets a free pass...

Old 12-24-2009, 07:40 AM   #34
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Love how these same things that Madden gets hated on for are the things a lot of you are giving Backbreaker a pass on. I guess any football game that doesn't have an EA logo on it gets a free pass...
Not true...we are willing to give a game a pass that is in its first iteration. We just hold games in its 6th iteration this gen (20 yrs total) to a higher standard.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:09 AM   #35
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
Not true...we are willing to give a game a pass that is in its first iteration. We just hold games in its 6th iteration this gen (20 yrs total) to a higher standard.
But when its a completely new dev team that is in its first year and delivers a lot of things we've been asking for for awhile it doesn't matter?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 AM   #36
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
But when its a completely new dev team that is in its first year and delivers a lot of things we've been asking for for awhile it doesn't matter?
Not really. This is Madden's 20th+ year as a football game, 6th year on the same "next gen" console yet there are still bugs/glitches/errors and/or innovations/additions/etc in the game that gamers have been asking to have been fixed/added since the longest I can remember.

It's not like EA lacks the resources nor talent to fix THE BEST SELLING GAME FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME, they simply just don't and milk the cash cow for what they can. And that's the biggest problem EA is more than happy with just marginal additions & remaining the status quo, but if you look at it when they had competition you could see Maddens improve by leaps 'n' bounds each year. We really can't say that anymore.

Best way I can equat it to sports terms is this: It's like Al Davis & the Raiders organization living off past glories and refusing to change their ways. At some point after all the years of heartache, boneheaded desicions, etc, even the most hardcore of Raiders fans will ask for the owner's head and begin to demand more.

Last edited by elgreazy1; 12-24-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #37
Hall Of Fame

BlueNGold's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Not really. This is Madden's 20th+ year as a football game, 6th year on the same "next gen" console yet there are still bugs/glitches/errors and/or innovations/additions/etc in the game that gamers have been asking to have been fixed/added since the longest I can remember.

It's not like EA lacks the resources nor talent to fix THE BEST SELLING GAME FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME, they simply just don't and milk the cash cow for what they can. And that's the biggest problem EA is more than happy with just marginal additions & remaining the status quo, but if you look at it when they had competition you could see Maddens improve by leaps 'n' bounds each year. We really can't say that anymore.
Yeah but my whole point was it being the 1st year with a new dev team, stuck with having to fix all the dumb*** mistakes the last group of guys made. Ian and co. are stuck digging themselves out of a hole dug by someone else so that should have gotten them the same pass these guys are getting IMO.

And you don't think this years Madden was leaps and bounds better than years past?

Old 12-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #38
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
And you don't think this years Madden was leaps and bounds better than years past?
As long as they don't have a better risk/reward sprint button (and as long as it's mapped to R2 instead of a more user-based tapping system like 2K football), line interaction and tackling system remains sub par, and the overall graphics and presentation (camera, audio, etc.) remain not my personal cup of tea, I can't ever see myself converting to Madden no matter how good the rest of the game is.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 12-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #39
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
As long as they don't have a better risk/reward sprint button (and as long as it's mapped to R2 instead of a more user-based tapping system like 2K football), line interaction and tackling system remains sub par, and the overall graphics and presentation (camera, audio, etc.) remain not my personal cup of tea, I can't ever see myself converting to Madden no matter how good the rest of the game is.

Madden completely changed its game after Madden NFL '98. Yes, I just said Madden NFL '98. It's my favorite Madden game of all time, and I truly mean that in the sense that I'd rather pop it in and play it before I'd play Madden NFL 10. It has nothing to do with which game is better, of course Madden 10 is better... but I don't prefer it, as I don't prefer the style of play, the way the game is packaged, the way the controller is mapped, etc. Hell, I can even go as far as talking about the playbook system. Again, it's just not what I like. It could just be me "hating", but I've been craving a playable (by my standards) football game for years. I've played every Madden extensively because my friends own it, but I just don't have fun when playing it, unfortunately. It could just be an intangible effect, but I listed reasons why I don't like it.

I feel if they pushed in the way of the 2K games during next-gen, they could have gotten my money. But they haven't even come close, and I think 2K represented the sport of football so much better (especially with APF 2K8). The biggest reason I don't own APF is because it lacks 60 FPS on the PS3 version. Honestly, if EA adopted this Natural Motion thing, they could probably turn things around to my liking... but that's just the start, as they need more IMO.

And here's where my "turning a blind eye" comes into full effect, because I will actually give Backbreaker a pass if they use R2 as a sprint button (R-trigger for 360). When I'm behind the player in the third person came, that seems like the proper button, only because I've played other shooters and racers that use the button as such, so it will feel more appropriate. However, time will tell if I actually like it for football.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

Last edited by Blzer; 12-24-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #40
MVP

FlyingFinn's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
It wasn't a new dev team at all. They changed lead designers but most the guys doing the actual coding were already on the team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »