Home

Backbreaker Ratings System

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Ratings System within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #65
MVP

OVR: 26
Re: Backbreaker Ratings System

A poll taken a long time ago in the BB forums showed most people wanted a blend system. I wouldnt be surprised to see the bronze, silver, and gold system supplemented with tangible things like 40 yard dash, bench press, vertical jump, and squat. That way players could be physically different but still have the same intangibles(gold/silver/bronze)

This doesnt mean I believe IRL that those drills truly express what a player's real speed is or strength but many video games have used it as a "benchmark" because everyone who does or plays football knows about those drills.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 1

Personally i would like to see something different then the number system seen in Madden. It would fit very well with the "a different way to play football" idea the game is going with.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:12 PM   #67
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

2k did the bronze rating already too
DO whatever they want, but please let them show on the field.
otherwise it`s pointless.

As madden, it has TONS of ratings, were only a few are noticieable and even not that.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #68
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
2k did the bronze rating already too
DO whatever they want, but please let them show on the field.
otherwise it`s pointless.

As madden, it has TONS of ratings, were only a few are noticieable and even not that.
I believe it will be blend, just for the fact of scouting players and drafting. I mean, if you just have gold, silver and bronze how are they going to describe the player to you without things such as dash times and and bench press?
Old 03-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #69
MVP

booker21's Arena

OVR: 16

it would be great if you have gold, silver and bronze, but they do have other ratings in it. Just you can`t see it unless you scout them.

THat would be really good.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:06 PM   #70
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
it would be great if you have gold, silver and bronze, but they do have other ratings in it. Just you can`t see it unless you scout them.

THat would be really good.
I concur.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #71
Rookie

OVR: 3

I am personally not a fan of the 1-100 ratings system. It doesn't really capture the individual player accurately in my opinion.

The blend is an interesting player ratings concept. If Natural motion is going with that for this game.

I am all for a tier system. If it's done right. There is tweaking going on with Backbreaker as we speak but I doubt that whatever ratings system, Natural Motion decided upon can be changed now.

If a football game is going to have a tier system. I would have it position specific with progression capabilities through franchise mode. Where a player's success on the field dictates what atributes he can obtain in his progression.

I would have done a simple 5 tier player rating system. Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper.

Platinum players have 7 atributes
Gold players have 5 atributes
Silver players have 3 atributes
Bronze players have 2 atributes
Copper players have 1 lone atribute

The Copper players all have 1 specific atribute that relates to their position. This way, The game will not have any players without any talent level. Every player in the game has one atribute to start with and can become a better player through on field success. The copper player can become a platinum player if he obtains 7 specific atributes that relate to his position.

So here is an example of a Platinum QB with 7 atributes that all relate to his position.

#1-Arm strength, #2-Accuracy, #3-Toughness, #4-Awareness/Intelligence, #5-Mobility, #6-Speed and #7-Leadership

Arm strength covers the ability to throw the deep ball and throw the laser pass. Accuracy covers The QB's touch on his passes and precision. Toughness covers his strength and durability. Awareness/Intelligence covers a QB's ability to read a defense and be able to anticipate where players are on the field, his receivers and the defenders. Mobility covers the QB's ability to move in the pocket, buy time for himself and throw on the run. Speed covers the athleticism of the QB, His ability to scramble and make plays running the ball. Leadership covers the QB's ability to make his teammates better and the ability to be clutch and come through in big situations.

As the gamer, You have to earn these atributes through on field success. You can do this with every position. To accomplish this. You need a real strong AI in the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2010, 02:17 PM   #72
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonM
I would have done a simple 5 tier player rating system. Platinum, Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper.

Platinum players have 7 atributes
Gold players have 5 atributes
Silver players have 3 atributes
Bronze players have 2 atributes
Copper players have 1 lone atribute

And my question - as always, with any system like this:

Will players without "attributes" have varying skills in those areas?

For example, if a guy is a "Copper" with the speed attribute - what are his ratings in the other areas? Say he's a WR - could he have a higher route running ability than a "Silver" that has Speed, Strength, Elusiveness, for example, but no Route Runner attribute?

Likewise, 3 WR all have Speed attribute - will they all then run the exact same speed with the exact same acceleration?

To me, the problem with Madden's 1-100 has less to do with it being 1-100 than the fact the high and lower ends of players aren't drastic. For example, 50 RTE and 90 RTE don't show major difference. That problem can plague any game whether we see the "Route Running" as 1-100 or not.

Madden's system should be one of the best ways to make players individual given the sheer number of ratings it has - but they don't take advantage of it with the ratings (some many players end up rated the same) or the engine (differences that are there don't show up very well at all).

Backbreaker would do well to avoid those pitfalls whether they imitate APF, Madden, Tecmo Bowl's, or their own ratings system.

Last edited by KBLover; 03-07-2010 at 02:20 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »