Home

What do you think will happen after the intial release of Backbreaker?

This is a discussion on What do you think will happen after the intial release of Backbreaker? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: What will be the future of BackBreaker
It will be a one and done deal but still be a good game 45 41.28%
505 Games will Produce a sequel to Backbreaker with improved features 44 40.37%
Madden Will buy out the Euphoria Engine and apply it to a new game 20 18.35%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #73
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: What do you think will happen after the intial release of Backbreaker?

Madden doesn't have to do anything even if Backbreaker is really good. They'll still outsell it by a mile.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:18 PM   #74
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31

i think its just the hope that if something worthwhile comes out it will jiggle the easports to improve their product.

i think madden in on the right track, but the light is distant , but reachable
Old 02-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #75
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

It won't outsell Madden, not even close. But right now, no company will even dare try to make a football game, not even 2k for 3 years running now and that's what sucks.

I'm hoping Backbreaker does better than any expections because that in turn might convince 2k that if they have a franchise mode and more customization, their football game could be profitable. Who knows, maybe Sony could build off the Show and give us a football title too.

I really don't care if Madden outsells Backbeaker 10-1 as long as Backbreaker is fun, makes a decent profit and I get more football titles in the future out of the deal.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #76
SimWorld Draft Class Guru

CWSapp757's Arena

OVR: 24

I feel you kj. I'm sure that Madden will outsell BB and it won't even be close. Hell, I'm sure that I will be one of the people in that line at midnight getting because I mean.... its the NFL and I know no matter how frustrated I get with madden I end up getting the following year.

However, I know that months prior to that Madden 11 purchase I will get Backbreaker. And if my prayers are answered and the Franchise mode is as deep as I hope it is, it will probably get a lot more time in the Xbox 360 than Madden 11. But I'm 99 percent sure I will own both games. I don't want EA to die. I simply just want them to step their game up and competition usually does that.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:28 AM   #77
R.I.P 2KHockey 2000-2011

savoie2006's Arena

OVR: 29

Well here is a quote from the IGN Hands On:

Quote:
Rather than gunning for the simulation crown that Madden currently holds, NaturalMotion is going for arcade gameplay that has the most realistic motion ever seen in a videogame. You'll see things like defenders taking off from three yards away to lay the smack down on an unsuspecting quarterback and airborne receivers getting flipped end over end when trying to make a catch. It's nowhere near as ridiculous as Midway's Blitz but it does cash in on the same freedoms that come with the lack of the NFL license.
Not that IGN is the most reliable source, but since it has been stated by even the developers, I think those expecting uber realistic gameplay are gonna hate this game. Those expecting something more "sim" than Madden are gonna be disappointed. Yeah the physics will be better and more realisitic, but that doesn't mean the rest of the game will be. The big question is, how fun will it be. That's all that matters to me personally.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #78
Hard Times.

Bellsprout's Arena

OVR: 40

^^^
*reads quote*

And it just became a rental instead of a buy.
A lot of you guys seem pretty cool, but you have wieners.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #79
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

arcade gameplay......most realistic motion ever seen in a game?

WTF IGN? Which one is it?

How old is this IGN quote? I thought it was one of the hands-on previews we are supposed to be getting any time now, but I can't find it.

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 02-17-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:35 PM   #80
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
Well here is a quote from the IGN Hands On:

Not that IGN is the most reliable source, but since it has been stated by even the developers, I think those expecting uber realistic gameplay are gonna hate this game. Those expecting something more "sim" than Madden are gonna be disappointed. Yeah the physics will be better and more realisitic, but that doesn't mean the rest of the game will be. The big question is, how fun will it be. That's all that matters to me personally.
I really don't see how those two examples they mentioned are way over the top arcade things if they aren't frequent occurrences . I don't see how either of those things couldn't happen in a real game on occasion as well. Now if they are happening in Backbreaker on a regular occasion than that may be a problem.

I do agree with your overall point though, I am expecting Backbreaker to be a a hybrid between a sim in some apects and an arcade style game in others, which is what the devs have stated. I don't think they have ever claimed that their goal is to make the best sim game ever. I think their goal has always been to make the movement and physics more realistic than any other game.

In that same vein though, I think people who are expecting it to be a Blitz clone are just as incorrect as people expecting a great sim based on that quote. It may have some arcade aspects but it will not be nearly the same over the top style arcade game as Blitz. That still won't stop some people from inserting their generic this game will be another Blitz comment in every thread though.

And I really don't see how people can claim that either NCAA or Madden are great sims or don't have unrealistic things that happen, just for comparison. Those games certainly aren't anywhere close to being 100% sim games by any stretch of the imagination. Really the only sports game this gen that has come close to being a 100% sim is MLB The Show.

Not to mention like you said I would take anything IGN says with a grain of salt. They aren't exactly who I would turn to to find out what it is sim and what is not.

I could have swore the devs stated, somewhere that there would be two game play settings you could choose. One being a little more realistic and sim oriented game while the other was more of arcade style game. Maybe I am mistaken but I could have swore somebody posted that.

College: Michigan Wolverines
NHL: Detroit Red Wings
NBA:Detroit Pistons
MLB: Detroit Tigers

Last edited by mgoblue678; 02-17-2010 at 02:46 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »