Home

Breaking Down Backbreaker

This is a discussion on Breaking Down Backbreaker within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #41
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Breaking Down Backbreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
that would be at least a 2.5-3 million dollar endeavor
They'll get it back due to that marketing, though.

You know that EA is in for a Madden commercial, though obviously they can very easily pay it off. The word needs to be thrown around to everybody, and everybody watches the Super Bowl.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2010, 01:14 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
The Evasive and Aggressive mode is interesting I suppose.......but I don't like having to choose if i'm locked into it for the entire play. A ball carrier can juke a guy and then choose to lower his shoulder and go over another defender right after that in real life. hopefully you're not locked into one of those modes for the whole play.
I think I recall seeing a video where it was switching between Evasive and Aggressive mode during the play, the camera gets tighter in Aggressive mode and pulls back in Evasive, so it's not locked for the play duration. I'd imagine if you're quick enough on the buttons you should be able to pull off a stiff are spin/juke move.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:26 PM   #43
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2451
yes, you can mathematically predict what will happen between two inanimate objects when they colide if you know the exact conditions of that collision...

however we are not talking about inanimate objects, we are talking about football players... they have to be able to accelerate, make cuts, have balance, strength, vision, agility, possibly some sort of fundimentals rating (ie a bad tackler may just throw a shoulder into the ballcarrier, where as a good tackler will try to wrap the ball carrier up)... thats completely ignoring things like passing, catching, etc

yeah, realistic physics are great, but without ratings there is no game... you cant just take a physics engine, throw a bunch of dummies w/ different weight distribution in there, and expect a football game to come out of it...

there are many many more factors than just mass/speed and angle of approach when determining what happens on the field

that's not really what I was trying to imply. I was trying to show that during a tackle it the outcome is kind of ratings free. You're kind of taking about before an impact or how a player would try to initiate an impact.

I was also saying that in a way everyone could have the same "ratings" and you'd get different games/plays/events each time. It didn't imply dumbness, I was indicating that we wouldn't need different ratings for the game to function properly. We would want ratings to flesh out nuances and strategy though and give players the appearance of uniqueness in terms of their abilities.

So in short, everyone could have a good football IQ, decent speed and acceleration and power - and you'd still get unique games and plays, because of the way things would flesh out differently each time. Really 'no' ratings 'is' ratings, but they would all be the same.

I'm not sure I explained myself well the first time or even this time the way i wanted to
Old 01-12-2010, 01:27 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 24

The game has some promise. But then so did APF 2k8...........
Old 01-12-2010, 02:46 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 25
i am still VERY suspect to say the least....Some have actually seen it....No real new news since 07 til recently....I HIGHLY doubt we will ever actually see this game hit retail....

IMHO, i think Natural Motion is still just trying to sell this tech to an actual developer....I wouldnt get too excited as it is not going to be around this spring......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #46
Darkness!!!

DirtyJerz32's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
They'll get it back due to that marketing, though.

You know that EA is in for a Madden commercial, though obviously they can very easily pay it off. The word needs to be thrown around to everybody, and everybody watches the Super Bowl.
This. How many random people out there know about this game? I would bet good money that there arent' a lot of people other than OSers that know about it.

They would do themselves well by putting out some kind of clip or something.

This game reminds me of the Under Armor brand. Not a lot of people knew about it other than those schools that wore the brand. Then they started marketing and all of the sudden... Everyone knows about Under Armor.

Just my .02

Twitch: DirtyJerz32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengold34_OS
No longer shall you be referred to as DirtyJerz32, but simply BOSS -
Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #47
Rookie

AlphaTrojan's Arena

OVR: 11
All I want for Christmas is for Backbreaker to rock!!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 04:51 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 27

I doubt they have the budget for a Super Bowl commercial. This is not how you build a product from the ground up anyway.

They need to build slow (which they will), create a strong foundation, and then build from there. If they market this properly on the net and do in-stores, they'll reach exactly who they're targeting without blowing their budget.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »