Home

BB is going to make Pro Tak look like old old technology

This is a discussion on BB is going to make Pro Tak look like old old technology within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 19
Re: BB is going to make Pro Tak look like old old technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
BB looks exactly the same to me....Mindless BLITZ type action focusing on HUGE hits more than anything else.

And.....A british company making an american football just seems OFF. If an american company with tons of football "fans" (still debatable) cant get the fundamentals right...How the hell is a british company gonna do it?

Natural motion should scrap BB and make a sweet Rugby game....Now that would be fantastic.
So just because they are British, English, or whatever, means they don't know football or love the game as much as Americans do. Not attacking you here, I'm just asking a simple question. Don't be so quick to judge because the last time I checked most of the really good games are coming from other countries, not the U.S.

How does it look like Blitz. I've heard people say that and seen people state that on different sites, but I just don't see it.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:14 PM   #34
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
BB looks exactly the same to me....Mindless BLITZ type action focusing on HUGE hits more than anything else.

And.....A british company making an american football just seems OFF. If an american company with tons of football "fans" (still debatable) cant get the fundamentals right...How the hell is a british company gonna do it?

Natural motion should scrap BB and make a sweet Rugby game....Now that would be fantastic.
The Out Of the Park Baseball Franchise is developed by a European developer, and it is the most accurate baseball sim ever made.

By the way, as fickle as Football fans are I doubt there will ever be a game that will satisfy them all. Someone will always complain and bitch about something. But, to see different animations every play is good enough for me. Madden bores me to tears every year, and this game hopefully will remedy that.

Last edited by LingeringRegime; 02-08-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #35
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
I don't know, f'that.....I am not going to mention the word "BackBreaker" out side this subforum.....hell, I'm not even going to mention that word in the wrestling section.
LOL, I was just kidding-I had a couple of infractions over my time here-1 justified, 1 not justified.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #36
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovie
The way I look at it is if this game is even marginally successful, simulates the physics of football well and is enjoyable to play. They'll be making an NFL game in 2012.

You can't forget EA loses exclusive NFL rights in just 2 years. Backbreaker could be making this their trial run and a reason to build an engine ahead of time. This gives them the advantage to having a longer development cycle before their final product is released while still getting some return.

If Backbreaker gets some success they could possibly put out another non licensed game in 2011 or patch it through then, continuing to refine their engine. Then in 2012 they have a refined engine to flex in order to get an NFL license to compete.
So next year is Madden's last year of their exclusive license? I think the NFL will renew it, for some reason they LOVE exclusive licenses.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

Comparing BB to Blitz is just wrong. Blitz focused on over the top hits etc. to sell the product and hit the arcade fans. BB focuses on what would happen in real life. They are just showing these hits where guys are launching themselves at guys to show what the engine can do. I can't play Madden because the blocking/tackling is just plain broken. It does have most of the bells and whistles though. If BB doesn't give the user the depth in play-calling etc. its going to be a tougher sell but I'd still probably play it more than Madden but not much. If BB has all the stuff like the defensive zone vs man coverage, play-calling, hot-routes etc. in it then look out.

Problem is that people are SO looking forward to this game because of the potential they see so if this game does anything less than make us run in the streets shouting at the top of our lungs "I love BackBreaker!" then it may have a tough road. I think its interesting that so many people are absolutely craving this game and it speaks to how many people are just so frustrated that there isn't a great football out there anymore. I used to play NFL2K5 all the time and would hardly touch my NHL game - now the football game has to be at least on par with NHL10 for it to get my time and that's tough because NHL10 is really good.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:54 PM   #38
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
So next year is Madden's last year of their exclusive license? I think the NFL will renew it, for some reason they LOVE exclusive licenses.
I don't blame the NFL for wanting the exclusive deal and protecting their image. From a financial standpoint, the Madden franchise was the only one that was making any significant money using the NFL name anyway, so now the same is true, except that EA pays the NFL extra money for the right to make that game.

But I think the PR angle has as much to do with it as anything. The NFL got mad at ESPN for airing Playmakers, which was a show that didn't even feature the NFL, but depicted a pro league similar to the NFL with players doing coke during halftime and all kinds of other plot lines that made pro football look bad. If you have two or three NFL games trying to one-up each other, you'll invariably get something like Blitz: The League where you have guys purposefully trying to injure each other, and all kinds of things that could portray the league in a negative light.

The NFL is a business, it doesn't "owe" it to video gamers to provide as many NFL video game options as possible.
Old 02-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanders
Comparing BB to Blitz is just wrong. Blitz focused on over the top hits etc. to sell the product and hit the arcade fans. BB focuses on what would happen in real life. They are just showing these hits where guys are launching themselves at guys to show what the engine can do. I can't play Madden because the blocking/tackling is just plain broken. It does have most of the bells and whistles though. If BB doesn't give the user the depth in play-calling etc. its going to be a tougher sell but I'd still probably play it more than Madden but not much. If BB has all the stuff like the defensive zone vs man coverage, play-calling, hot-routes etc. in it then look out.

Problem is that people are SO looking forward to this game because of the potential they see so if this game does anything less than make us run in the streets shouting at the top of our lungs "I love BackBreaker!" then it may have a tough road. I think its interesting that so many people are absolutely craving this game and it speaks to how many people are just so frustrated that there isn't a great football out there anymore. I used to play NFL2K5 all the time and would hardly touch my NHL game - now the football game has to be at least on par with NHL10 for it to get my time and that's tough because NHL10 is really good.
Your post started out a little rough, but I came to agree with the 2nd half. Look, I don't blame people for being excited about Backbreaker, given all that it promises (and all that we've been following for the last 2-3 years of this debacle).

But that doesn't mean you should just throw all caution to the wind and ignore the fundamental axioms of video game releases:

(1) Unlicensed sports titles generally struggle to do well, unless there is a franchise history there (Tecmo Bowl, for example)

(2) It's generally a bad sign when a game release is repeatedly delayed, or when there is very little actual game footage and marketing effort put forth towards a release

(3) First-time efforts by upstart game developers are usually pretty rough-around-the-edges, and can't compete with established brands

There are things I like about what Backbreaker appears to be. But we can't say that Backbreaker isn't like NFL Blitz any more than we can say that it is, b/c nobody here has played a final build. And given the task that they're up against, I don't think the game should be automatically given the $50 or $60-dollar "benefit of the doubt" without more concrete information.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:02 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJH1
Your post started out a little rough, but I came to agree with the 2nd half. Look, I don't blame people for being excited about Backbreaker, given all that it promises (and all that we've been following for the last 2-3 years of this debacle).

But that doesn't mean you should just throw all caution to the wind and ignore the fundamental axioms of video game releases:

(1) Unlicensed sports titles generally struggle to do well, unless there is a franchise history there (Tecmo Bowl, for example)

(2) It's generally a bad sign when a game release is repeatedly delayed, or when there is very little actual game footage and marketing effort put forth towards a release

(3) First-time efforts by upstart game developers are usually pretty rough-around-the-edges, and can't compete with established brands

There are things I like about what Backbreaker appears to be. But we can't say that Backbreaker isn't like NFL Blitz any more than we can say that it is, b/c nobody here has played a final build. And given the task that they're up against, I don't think the game should be automatically given the $50 or $60-dollar "benefit of the doubt" without more concrete information.
I agree completely with what you said and I think there are two ways to look at it. Are they not showing us info etc. because they want to make sure its rock solid before they show anything in order to avoid starting off on the wrong foot because they are behind the 8-ball because they don't have an NFL license, are a first time game developer etc. or is it so they get some sales on hype before people realize it wasn't a good football game. Only time will tell but let's just say I have my fingers crossed

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »