Home

Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Video: Developer Diary #1 within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 10
Re: Backbreaker Developer Diary Video #1 (Gamespot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
I total agree with you on X's and O's.The aI didn't look good in the secondry.
Do blown assignments happen in football? Maybe the secondary didn't look good because they're poorly rated. Are people purposely ignoring the good play were the secondary responded at 28 sec.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 21

this was posted by one of the developers, when someone asked about AI and some players not in position correctly or what ever...

Rob
Quote:
Of course, all this is being worked on costantly. It's a matter of tuning, and the guys are tuning hard. We didn't want to edit out footage just because of a few bugs. Rest assured it's already being tackled and will continue to be worked on.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
Do blown assignments happen in football? Maybe the secondary didn't look good because they're poorly rated. Are people purposely ignoring the good play were the secondary responded at 28 sec.
also, not to lower standards, but is there a football to compare this to....I mean defensive AI is hard to implement, unless you let the CPU cheat (like in years past Madden)..
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
The funny thing is I am in BB corner hoping for it to be a great game. But I am also a football fan first and seeing some of the off X's and O's is a red flag to me so I state what I see wrong. Not in a attempt to bash the game but to bring to light some of the issues.

I think some people are just so closed minded they don't understand what it is to converse on a topic. In their little world someone has to be right and someone has to be wrong.

My perception of BB still stands though. I think the tech is going to be amazing and will push sports games in a direction we have always hoped for. But Backbreaker won't be the football game to take people away from 2k5 or Madden.

Ultimately the weight and physics of the Euphoria engine will break the defensive side of the game. Having a CB turn at the wrong moment bringing them out the play, having a linebacker take the wrong angle to the flats (ala Madden 10, just a single step can ruin a game and madden does not have true physics and it killed the flats), etc.

I think to many of these guys are not looking at this from the correct angle and when they get the game in their hands and go online and someone is using exploits to beat them they are going to be the same people going to the BB forums crying about a broken game.

I am more realistic in my expectations. I expect a amazing use of tackles, broken tackles, and FUN game. But I am also expecting a ton of fundamentals of FOOTBALL to be off that will hurt the online portion of the game.
I'm hoping it does very well too. It pushes the envelope in football gaming.

If I'm wrong, I stand corrected, but when I saw the QB's passing the ball, I thought it appeared that the QB's threw the ball without momentum.

Maybe my eyesight is going on me, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #21
MVP

bigsmallwood's Arena

OVR: 37
I think that we should take that video for what it is...a developers video blog. It wasn't finalized gameplay, it wasn't even a true glimpse into what every down of football played will look like on Backbreaker. IT was just meant to highlight and show a few things and let the Devs make their points about their game understood.

With that said, the engine alone makes this game buyable. The gameplay looked decent, but I can't make a call on it until we see ACTUAL gameplay player vs. CPU or Player vs. player....right now we know nothing. Lets be patient. Madden should really have adopted this system....it looks GREAT in that aspect...compared with canned animations. We will see what both have to offer this year! I'm excited!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #22
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
YES,but the one play the guy just standing there.But the post under yours answer that qustion.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #23
Rookie

Dudd's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Blown assignments should happen, but they should be realistic in nature. When a football player makes a mistake, he usually has a reason to do so, either he mistakenly jumped a short route and left a deep man uncovered or bit on a playfake or something like that. The footage in this trailer showed some fundamentally flawed AI routines where they were reacting to the ball instead of the man. Defenders in football are smart enough to only react to the ball when they have a good chance at actually breaking up the pass, otherwise they make tackling the receiver the number one priority, here it seemed like defensive players were programmed to respond only to the football instead of deciding whether to play the ball or anticipate the catch. Hopefully it gets fixed like the dev who responded said it was/will, but I'll believe it when I see it, too often game makers promise something in a trailer was just an old version that would be fixed before it went gold, only to see that same issue appear in the finished game. Football is a game of angles, if those are off the entire gameplay can come out broken.

Last edited by Dudd; 02-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:05 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Those sacks looks sweet!

Can't wait to take this one out on the field.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »