Home

Has Anyone Ever Stopped to Think About the Title of This Game?

This is a discussion on Has Anyone Ever Stopped to Think About the Title of This Game? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2010, 03:27 PM   #1

OVR: 34
Has Anyone Ever Stopped to Think About the Title of This Game?

Whenever a new sports video game is in production, the question that lingers before release is often, "Is it a simulation representation of the sport, or is it an arcade representation?" I suppose for this community, the idea of "sim" takes precedence.

With a title like, "Backbreaker," what's your first assumption? Don't even consider the uniform styles, the developer diaries or anything else. When you first hear such a title, do you think American Football Simulation? It's not a bad name. I don't mean to imply that. Even if the game leans itself towards a Blitz-like style, that's the developers choice. I am interested though in how they came to the conclusion to give this game such a title. Was the focus at first to show body twisting tackles that were are an exaggerated display of what we might see in football? After watching the developer diary video, you don't get that sense. You tend to think they are taking the sport very seriously with the aim being real football.

I question this because I sometimes wonder if the core of this game is Euphoria and not football. It shouldn't be. It should be the sport first and then Euphoria part of the process. The reason being is, any sports video game could use Euphoria, no? That's probably the goal. So now I wonder why the name, "Backbreaker?" What about that name says football?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Has Anyone Ever Stopped to Think About the Title of This Game?

HOPEFULLY IT MEANS THAT IT WILL BREAK THE BACK OF EA SPORTS AND MADDEN
Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 21

as much as we all would love to believe everyone thinks like us....that is not the case...so although this game will probably be the best simulation of the sport... the publisher needs to catch the attention of the casuals, and that is what BackBreaker does, as well as all those hits you see in the trailers...

fans who want a sim football game will most likely do some research anyway, and would find out eventually that this is more of a sim than arcade...
Old 02-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 27

I don't believe this game will be the strict sim people are hoping for, and so far there has really been no indication that it's going to be. But quite frankly, I don't care and I don't see the big deal. I want a good football game. In my opinion, it doesn't have to be a grind-it-out sim to accomplish that. It just has to play well, do the things it claims it can, and be fun.

I'm much more confident it will accomplish the latter.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47

I never liked the name myself. Gridiron or Smashmouth would have either been better choices. But, the name won't prevent me from buying it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #6
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

Maybe the developers were trying to learn from these guys mistake.

http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/upl...apf_header.jpg

I mean, "All Pro Football" just has the sound of a cheap, generic football game. A lot of kids haven't seen those guys play or wouldn't recognize them out of their NFL uniforms either.

If these guys would've thought of a catchier title and splashed "From the makers of NFL2K5" on the cover they might have sold more copies.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I don't believe this game will be the strict sim people are hoping for, and so far there has really been no indication that it's going to be. But quite frankly, I don't care and I don't see the big deal. I want a good football game. In my opinion, it doesn't have to be a grind-it-out sim to accomplish that. It just has to play well, do the things it claims it can, and be fun.

I'm much more confident it will accomplish the latter.
if you read up on the game it is more sim based....you have to use vision and sound when you are playing... the camera is upclose.... if you focus on a reciever you want to throw it too, the camera will zoom in closer...(but now your pass will be more accurate)...but now you cann't see the pass rush, so you have to use sound to hear someone getting closer from your blind side....this is all been confirmed by the devs..

now this just my belief but maybe the controller will also vibrate on the left or right hand side alittle from where the pressure might be coming from...

so you can decide to drop back...see a WR and just throw a quick pass, with out focusing..and if he is wide open...then fine...but if you need to thread the needle...then you might need to focus on him...

here is an article about the controls in this game....which to me, has the potential of being one of the best simulations of the sport.

art of control
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/854/854993p1.html
Old 02-13-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
MVP

I've read every article and seen every image and video available on this game. I disagree with your take.

Their concept aim is to be immersive and they're accomplishing that through the camera's and control schemes. That alone does not equal simulation.

Simulation is about X's and O's being true to football and players actions and reactions being true to football. There must be both. We know nothing so far about the X's and O's part, so right there we can't say for sure that it's going to be a a sim. And to add on to that, we've seen over-the-top or at least Sportscenter-level hitting in greater than 90% of what's been shown.

While I think people are basically saying to ignore everything we've seen and expect a sim, I say expect what we've seen. I see nothing wrong with it myself. It's called BackBreaker for a reason and it's not that hard to figure out what their angle is.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »