Home

For Those Probably Buying Backbreaker How Important Are Fatigue And Injuries To You?

This is a discussion on For Those Probably Buying Backbreaker How Important Are Fatigue And Injuries To You? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: How Important Are Fatigue And Injuries?
Very Important 45 29.22%
Important 41 26.62%
Not That Important 49 31.82%
Could Care Less 19 12.34%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: For Those Probably Buying Backbreaker How Important Are Fatigue And Injuries To Y

After hearing the news about fatigue and injuries, I'm afraid that this game went from a "Must Buy" to a "Wait a month before Buying," for me. I guess I just don't understand how they could consider these features non-essential. I mean, if there aren't any injuries, why in the world is the game called "Backbreaker?" It doesn't exactly instill a ton of confidence.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #74
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: For Those Probably Buying Backbreaker How Important Are Fatigue And Injuries To Y

Player form is just a rip from the MLS - Winning Eleven - Pro Evolution Soccer series (which I am sure they gleamed a lot of ideas from) and in that game player form was a dice roll from game to game. Maybe they changed that aspect but I am unsure of it.

However there is something much more than just roster management that fatigue and injuries can bring to game play on the field.

1. In All Pro Football, everyone loved how guys can pull a hammy when sprinting and pulling up lame on a leg. How is that not a dice roll. I mean what incident could lead to that. No one complained. It was something that added to game play not took it away from it.

2. Fatigue from play to play. Case in point in: you make a long run but because there is a fatigue system, the player slows down and tires out towards the end of the run and the defensive player who has more stamina can can catch that player. Not here if his speed is at a level it will stay at that level never tiring, never slowing down. You can make back to back 40 yard runs with the same player and not have any effect on him physically. In fact there is no reason not to put you best running back as kick returner and starting halfback since he will never tire.

3. No huddle. I mean with no fatigue why not just no huddle your way all the way to the end zone relentlessly. The defense doesn't tire and neither does the offense. These are all important "IN GAME" elements. Not just roster management and depth. This does effect game play itself.

And if your saying there should be no dice rolls then why are you playing games in general. Some players perform tasks better than others. If that is the case how can that be replicated without a dice roll. Dropped balls, overthrows by poor inaccurate throwers. Those are all dice rolls too. Yet they pick that excuse to pass for the failure for not having a feature? Unless there are no overthrows ore dropped balls. Then what makes anyone different from anyone else besides from, speed and strength.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #75
Pro

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22

1. In All Pro Football, everyone loved how guys can pull a hammy when sprinting and pulling up lame on a leg. How is that not a dice roll. I mean what incident could lead to that. No one complained. It was something that added to game play not took it away from it.
Great post. Here is an example of All Pro's injury system

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #76
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kings
Couldn't care less. I have been playing without fatigue and/or injuries with APF 2K8 for three years now to keep those rosters without legends and have still enjoyed the game thoroughly. I'm used to it. Also, I would prefer they do it correctly instead of implementing a flawed technology for the sake of its implementation. If it takes them until the next release to include fatigue and injuries, so be it. I see no need to rush them on something they weren't comfortable with on their first try at a football game just to say it's there.
You have rosters without legends in APF?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 AM   #77
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

I think it's important as it defines what this football game is...Arcade

They (Devs) spoke about realism in the game, but without fatigue or injury isn't this robot football?

Are you really going to sub in a guy with lower skill ratings for the hell of it, even when the more talented starter isnt tired or hurt?? why?

Last edited by blackscorpion11; 05-07-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #78
Pro

blackscorpion11's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKasmar
Great post. Here is an example of All Pro's injury system

&nbsp
&nbsp

Damn good point, for me there's no excuse for that.. any excuse for the omission = admitting that u rushed the game. This game showcases these solid tackles, what good is it if they dont cause a player to get tired or injured???? Whose idea was that??

Sell the gameplay engine to 2KSPORTS and stick to Futbol
Old 05-07-2010, 12:44 AM   #79
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
Damn good point, for me there's no excuse for that.. any excuse for the omission = admitting that u rushed the game. This game showcases these solid tackles, what good is it if they dont cause a player to get tired or injured???? Whose idea was that??

Sell the gameplay engine to 2KSPORTS and stick to Futbol
Well I don't think 3, almost 4 years of development could be considered 'rushing a game.'
They've said time and time again, their focus is very strongly on gameplay. Of course injuries and fatigue are HUGE factors in football. No doubt about that. But you have to look at it from the devs perspective as well, maybe the Euphoria engine makes it more difficult to implement injuries. I don't know. There are soooo many unknowns.

You're free to bash me for 'defending' the devs. I won't argue with you, I'm done with all that garbage. But if this game ends up playing a good game of football - sans injuries and fatigue - I won't mind those parts missing so much.
I just want to have a fun football game. In the end, it's all about your preferences and how they line up with the game.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:44 AM   #80
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

My thoughts on the real reason that fatigue and injuries are not in this game is probably because NCAA is coming out soon, so they HAVE to beat the football competition by releasing their product first.

The developers were probably advised to get the game out as quickly as possible before the release of NCAA 11. Maybe the distributor told them "hey if you don't get this game out before the release of NCAA you will not be able to gain a market share of the buyers and will lose out on a chance for making enough sales to continue making this game in the future". Either that or what till next year.

They might have been unaware of the impact of when to put their release date and were only concerned with Madden 11. They may have had a deadline slated before the release of Madden 11.

With less time to work out all the issues with the game, meaning a late Demo and other areas that needed huge improvements, they had no time to actually finish the game with fatigue/injuries working properly and still beat out the NCAA 11 release date.

They couldn't say "hey guys we need to beat out NCAA's release date with our game so we can actually make some money". So instead of saying that they bring up the laughable excuse of "dice rolls" or "we want to get it right".

Now with all that said if this is the case, I would much rather them do it this way instead of waiting till next year or doing what All Pro did and not make any real profits by releasing their game after NCAA. They are making a smart move I just wish they they had more time. Hopefully what we get is "good enough" for now till next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »