Home

No reviews until 6/1

This is a discussion on No reviews until 6/1 within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: No reviews until 6/1

Man I am so glad I stay out of these threads. Everytime I pop my head in I see the same guys focusing on the negative while the same guys are only looking at the positives. Each thread may be talking about a different point but they all relate back to whether or not you expect alot out of a small company producing a brand new football game with tech that no other football game has used.

I dont expect alot and will enjoy this game for what it is, not what its not. You guys are really funny.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:36 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney8
I wouldn't see this as a red flag and what other things have this crew done wrong???

I think one reason they might be doing this is so they don't have reviewers and game sites playing the game for an hour and writing a review on it. They are giving Steve a copy tomorrow but he can't say anything about it??? I think we all realise this game will need an adjustment period seeing as it's so different from what we're use to so they want the reviewers to become accustomed to the game before writing a review. Steve will have played the game for 11 days before we see a review from him. I think that's a good thing.
I agree with this.... there are alot of websites who rush to be the first review out to get hits or whatever......also since I presume the demo will release before the review embargo lifts....it gives gamers the chance to play this game and have their own early views of it.......so if a reviewer says gameplay is not fun....but someone had a ball with the demo, they would have already had that feeling...before reading a review.....

people are different.....there are some who get influenced by reviews to the point where they don't even try something out.....heck some even get influenced by a # score more so than the actual content in the review.

I think this just gives every gamer a chance to try the game out before getting any opinions from outside sources......that is only if both the PS3 version and 360 version release before June 1st, which might happen....since they are done with the demo already.

besides gameplay....where reviews might be very important for some people is the actual content in the game.....finally finding out all of the things you can do in the Franchise type modes...and all the things you can not....and then see if that is a backbre...I mean deal breaker for these individuals.

this all being said, I can understand the reg flags popping up for some....review embargo and no demos until released date is a scary thing....think MLB2k

but NM seem very satisfied with their work...and have already started on BB 2.....so I think that shows confidence from a start up game developer.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Yet another red flag by this crew...

Wrong. It's smart marketing on BB's part.

They have much more to lose from bad reviews than no reivews at all.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #20
S**c*d* P**l C*-Ch*mp**n

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Wrong. It's smart marketing on BB's part.

They have much more to lose from bad reviews than no reivews at all.
Bad reviews are going come regardless if you wait before or after 6/1..
Old 05-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Man I am so glad I stay out of these threads. You guys are really funny.

Uh, O.K.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #22
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
It would only affect those that are day-one purchasers really. Given what APF went through I think they need to take this approach. IGN went so far as to try to compare Madden '08 to APF2K8 - APF in it's first next gen iteration w/o a license and Madden in it's 3rd iteration with the license. It's not a fair comparison. Let's not forget most of these sites have never - NEVER - rated Madden low, even when it sucked. I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but imo it's obvious certain games just won't be judged on their own merits. Madden typically gets reviews that places it near or above a game like NBA2K, which is ridiculous.

I'm just about positive Backbreaker will garner mostly negative to lukewarm reviews. It's a first year title w/o the licenses. Given everything they already have to work against it'd be that much more of a burden to have to work against reviewers hammering the game on issues they weren't willing to hold Madden '06 to when it came out.
Exactly.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #23
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
but NM seem very satisfied with their work...and have already started on BB 2.....so I think that shows confidence from a start up game developer.
How many other developers have come out right before their game launched or at any point during development and said 'boy this one is a stinker, but the next one will be better, in fact we're already working on it' ? I don't see how this can be used as any kind of baramoter for the game being good.

Come on guys, "NM said it's good" and "no reviews is good marketing" ... really?
Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
"no reviews is good marketing" ... really?

Can be--when compared to the alternative.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »