Home

No reviews until 6/1

This is a discussion on No reviews until 6/1 within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #49
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: No reviews until 6/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZell20
Why would people think this sounds fishy? Reviews that come out pre-release are 10x fishier than ones that come out after...

"hey, we'll give you an early exclusive look at the game if you give it a minimum of _____"
So are you saying that's what BB is doing, or did you not read Rob's post in the link above before trying to discredit early reviews that says they'll have some exclusive reviews in place before launch?

" not all sites will have been set with the same embargo. ... Deals with major sites will probably be in place before the wider embargo lifts....."

Last edited by mestevo; 05-18-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #50
MVP

DLaren's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndhusker90
I'll be posting video impressions on day 1, that way you guys(the ones who didn't purchase it day 1) can actually see live, uninterrupted gameplay and get an idea of how the game feels and all that.
Looking forward to it, thanks in advance.
College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #2; Currently in Year-12.

College Hoops 2K8 (360): Mighty Monarchs Legacy #1 (retired); 40 seasons completed, 6 NCAA Championships won.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #51
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

To be honest, I don't think I've ever received a game for review that didn't come with some sort of embargo, and many of them are the day of release.

Also, the embargo could be to give print magazines (what are left of them) a fair shot at timely publications, like the embargo on the preview event from a few months back.

This info by itself is no cause for alarm.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #52
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

Two thirds of the potential customers can't get the demo until after release AND no pre-release reviews? Well this is offically a rental.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #53
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut
To be honest, I don't think I've ever received a game for review that didn't come with some sort of embargo, and many of them are the day of release.

Also, the embargo could be to give print magazines (what are left of them) a fair shot at timely publications, like the embargo on the preview event from a few months back.

This info by itself is no cause for alarm.
That makes a lot of sense, but how many magazines are going to review, go to press and be distributed in the 9 days after the game is received, presuming everyone is receiving the press copies on the 19th (which isn't an unreasonable assumption with the game going gold last week)?

Rather than a week or so of awesome reviews of the fantastic game to sway all the non-believers and fence-sitters, we get to hope the stellar marketing and information campaign continues to keep us informed... that's why this is disappointing news from a relatively small studio. If the game is so great then we'd be enjoying a weeks worth of reviews, feature walkthroughs and gobs of gameplay footage getting everyone into a frenzy over it's release. There's very little to indicate we wont just get a video Friday, then on Monday we'll get a facebook poll for the final video, and one more video next Friday, and that's it before release from NM. Oh and I think they said they were video taping one of the guys trying to pass all 100 waves in tackle alley, maybe we'll see that too.

Come on guys, I just want a reason to buy your game.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #54
MVP

mestevo's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
Two thirds of the potential customers can't get the demo until after release AND no pre-release reviews? Well this is offically a rental.
Demo is TBD, the original dates were wrong. They'll be out on a Tuesday, looks like not today, if not next week then it will be on release day or the week after.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
So are you saying that's what BB is doing, or did you not read Rob's post in the link above before trying to discredit early reviews that says they'll have some exclusive reviews in place before launch?

" not all sites will have been set with the same embargo. ... Deals with major sites will probably be in place before the wider embargo lifts....."
Missed that, what i was saying is that people freaking about a review embargo and speculating that the game is bad because of it...are off base. They should be more worried one major site getting an exclusive look and giving it a ridiculous score.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 PM   #56
Pro

rooney8's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZell20
Missed that, what i was saying is that people freaking about a review embargo and speculating that the game is bad because of it...are off base. They should be more worried one major site getting an exclusive look and giving it a ridiculous score.
I agree. I would have given Madden08 1/10. If a game site or reviewer did that they would not be getting an early copy of Madden again or any EA game. Game sites often give reviews the game companies want so they get the exclusive again next year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »