Home

What's with this "EMBARGO" stuff?

This is a discussion on What's with this "EMBARGO" stuff? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #17
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: What's with this "EMBARGO" stuff?

The only really stupid thing about the embargo is that I'll be playing the demo well before reviews come out - this means that the reviews loose a big bulk of their meaning to me.

The only thing I'd look for in reviews is franchise quirks and player creation, things like that. I'll know if I like the gameplay which is #1.

In other words it's stupid because I'll have my own opinions and experience before the media embargo is up.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #18
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
The only really stupid thing about the embargo is that I'll be playing the demo well before reviews come out - this means that the reviews loose a big bulk of their meaning to me.

The only thing I'd look for in reviews is franchise quirks and player creation, things like that. I'll know if I like the gameplay which is #1.

In other words it's stupid because I'll have my own opinions and experience before the media embargo is up.
That's actually a pretty good argument for the demo to be delayed until 6/1 too, and let Sony/MS take the heat for it.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #19
Banned

Quote:

and I'm sure this is EXACTLY what they want....and I think there is nothing wrong with that...

BB is a new game/franchise.....I'm sure lots of journalist will have their own opinion....some will be professional...some will be Madden fanboys..and some might even be Madden Haters and will praise this game just because of that fact..

there are alot of gamers who will barely give this game a chance, just by the way it looks.....if a one page fanboyish review comes out slamming the game and spends more time talking about how it looks different in a negative way...without touching on any of the positive things this title brings to the genre of Football videogames....then those people who are on the edge of giving this game a chance, might not even go through the trouble of downloading the demo......with the "I knew it" response.

but with them giving every reviewer a grace period to put time into the game....and not rush out a quick review just to beat the next journalist to the punch...this approach works out for NM with both gamers getting a chance to tryout the game....and journalist (if they choose to) spending more time with the title...
Old 05-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
That's actually a pretty good argument for the demo to be delayed until 6/1 too, and let Sony/MS take the heat for it.
how in the WORLD would Sony/MS take the heat for that....

mestevo, sometimes you try too hard and it shows....
Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #21
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I posted this in the other thread but since this is where the conversation is, I wanted to re-ask it here since I keep seeing non-sports games being brought up in the main argument about have an embargo up through the release date.

To reiterate though, I am merely curious.
As I said in that thread, MLB 2k10 did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #22

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by statnut
As I said in that thread, MLB 2k10 did.
You answered in there after I posted that here, but either way, any others that you know of?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
Pro

statnut's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
You answered in there after I posted that here, but either way, any others that you know of?
Sports games, no, but that's only because I've just started to get review copies of sports games recently.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:55 AM   #24
Banned

Clemalum2007's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

This is a bad thing? You can formulate your own opinion of the game before you have some website who receives a LARGE amount of advertising dollars from EA shove a review down your throat.

I mean look at the reviews they give Madden every year.... 9/10... That game is no where near that quality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »