Home

My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker

This is a discussion on My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:07 AM   #25
Pro

OVR: 6
Re: My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
it's obviously more real than what we've had, there are reasons why QB's with poor vision, or those who only focus on 1 receiver don't make it far in the nfl. God's view eliminates any of that...
Really? How do the user controlled QB’s in BackBreaker differ in their progression of their reads?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #26
Pro

Erratic's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
Really? How do the user controlled QB’s in BackBreaker differ in their progression of their reads?
my point was, when you can seeing the whole field is less realistic than the current tpv because you see everything with one camera view where as your vision is restricted in the current system. Just put on a football helmet, and stand still I guarantee you won't be able to see what the hell the left cornerback is doing when you're staring at the right cornerback on the opposite side of the field...
Old 05-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #27
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
my point was, when you can seeing the whole field is less realistic than the current tpv because you see everything with one camera view where as your vision is restricted in the current system. Just put on a football helmet, and stand still I guarantee you won't be able to see what the hell the left cornerback is doing when you're staring at the right cornerback on the opposite side of the field...
I get what you're saying Erratic, and it does have some merit. I just get annoyed when people suggest that the reason some may not like the camera view is because it’s too “real” for them. I’m not accusing you of this—but I’ve seen it, and it’s idiotic.

As I said earlier, I’m really going to try and give this camera a shot because this game has a lot going for it.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #28
Gatekeeper

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
I haven't played the demo yet, but I think the camera angle is more sim like. If you have played football then you know this camera angle is life like because you can't see the whole field. Football players make mistakes because of this and it's more exciting. There are blind side hits, like on the QB. If you can see straight overhead, then you can avoid all blind side hits.
I am gonna have to disagree. As you know when you play real football, you have peripheral vision, also you have almost an innate sense or feel of what's going in around you. You simply can't convey that in a video game, and those senses are completely gone with the in game camera. Also depth perception in a camera angle like this particularly throwing the ball downfield is problematic. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't have a great feel for distances down the field in relation to where players are from each other. I think that's due to the lack of depth perception from this camera angle. While I understand people like it, I disagree it's more sim like.

I've played the demo quite a bit this afternoon. While imo, there's a lot to like to the game, and I am for sure picking it up on release day, I am not a fan of the camera at all. Feels like I am playing football with one eye closed from a sensory perspective.

Last edited by bkrich83; 05-22-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:05 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0

Really not feeling the camera view. Haven't played it enough yet to completely dismiss it but as of right now I am not enjoying it at all. I don't mind it so much when im running the ball but on defense and passing especially its a huge turn off. On the defensive side I feel like I'm controlling one player for the play and I hate looking at it from that point of view. It's not really any more realistic because I'm not actually that player so its really not simulating what it would be like to see it from that point of view. Your still looking at it from outside their body. Like someone else said it really feels claustrophobic and unless the play is ran straight at me I have no impact. I just want to be involved on every play.

The passing camera is going is a pain too, super claustrophobic and clunky. I'm the kind of person that generally knows when I like something and when I don't--completely turned off right now. Could be something I really enjoyed with a standard camera angle. If you enjoy it that's cool but would love an option so we could all see it from whatever camera angle we please.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 AM   #30
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
I am gonna have to disagree. As you know when you play real football, you have peripheral vision, also you have almost an innate sense or feel of what's going in around you. You simply can't convey that in a video game, and those senses are completely gone with the in game camera. Also depth perception in a camera angle like this particularly throwing the ball downfield is problematic. Maybe it's just me, but I really don't have a great feel for distances down the field in relation to where players are from each other. I think that's due to the lack of depth perception from this camera angle. While I understand people like it, I disagree it's more sim like.

I've played the demo quite a bit this afternoon. While imo, there's a lot to like to the game, and I am for sure picking it up on release day, I am not a fan of the camera at all. Feels like I am playing football with one eye closed from a sensory perspective.
Absolutely agree with this statement. The sad thing is I would probably buy this game if it wasn't for the camera angle and I don't think I'm the only one. It just makes more sense from an economics points of view to appeal to as many as possible and I just get the feeling the camera angle is really going to turn some people off. I kinda felt the same way about AP2K8, because they didn't have a franchise mode and they included generic players. So close, yet a couple little things completely screw it up.

Last edited by Johnny "Too Tall"; 05-22-2010 at 05:17 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #31
MVP

rckabillyRaider's Arena

OVR: 36

I don't care if they keep this camera as the default , market it as the next best thing, etc.... The only thing I'm asking for as most are, is give us an option to use a different camera view. You can never go wrong with options. IMO, having only one camera is a huge negative for this otherwise solid game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2010, 07:13 AM   #32
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Don't listen to these people. The only thing this game is missing (assuming of course that franchise/road to backbreaker mode isn't horribly glitched or something) is fatigue and injuries, and with the futuristic look of the player models I'm sorta ok without those..

Yes, it's harder to pass with this camera angle - because it should be. It's realistic. Watch a real game and count how many times a QB doesn't see an open receiver. That doesn't happen very often with the God-Cam that every game since 1993 has used.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »