Home

My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker

This is a discussion on My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #41
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker

People talking about the cam in every thread. Maybe they will add a sky cam option later on, but it won't happen for awhile. The game needs to separate itself from Madden/2k and it has a huge disadvantage by not having anything NFL in the game. The devs obviously felt that if they offered the traditional view, they would just become another random generic football game that people wouldn't buy.

Unless they can get an NFL license, or this game gets to a point where it tops Madden/2k in almost every part of the game, I don't expect them to offer a camera that would make the Backbreaker experience too similar to those other games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2010, 12:00 PM   #42
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

what they should do for BB2 is offer two modes. a "normal" mode where the camera is from a raised perspective (ala madden/2k/whatever) that could be used for online H2H play, and a "cinematic" mode where the game gets directed for you, so the camera can pan, swivel, slowdown, etc all to show the player what is happening around them.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #43
Rookie

ESPOMAN's Arena

OVR: 17

I have a ps3 and no online. But after hearing how good the game is it is a must buy.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #44
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
People talking about the cam in every thread. Maybe they will add a sky cam option later on, but it won't happen for awhile. The game needs to separate itself from Madden/2k and it has a huge disadvantage by not having anything NFL in the game. The devs obviously felt that if they offered the traditional view, they would just become another random generic football game that people wouldn't buy.

Unless they can get an NFL license, or this game gets to a point where it tops Madden/2k in almost every part of the game, I don't expect them to offer a camera that would make the Backbreaker experience too similar to those other games.
I don't know about that. If this game had the standard camera, the player would be able to see all of these awesome interactions going on all over the field. This game has been built and marketed around the tackling and physics. In my opinion this current set up actually takes away from the appreciation of the physics, as often times I find myself too far away from the play (especially on defense as a safety) to really see it.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #45
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I love how everyone has glommed onto this idea of "god cam" and are now all using the same verbiage.
They use those terms as a backhanded insult to Madden in order to gloss over the games deficiencies. See Dice Roll injurie as well.

The notion that this cam is more realistic is false imo. As I stated in my earlier post,lack of peripherals, and lack of depth perception make that notion false. Not to mention when you are playing football, you can basically feel or sense what's going on around you a lot of the time. This camera conveys none of that.

People seem to ignore these points in the name of defending this game at all costs. While I realize this is a first effort, that doesn't make lack of camera options any less of a negative.

Imo, being forced to use this cam takes away from what otherwise seems to be an outstanding effort.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #46
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
People talking about the cam in every thread. Maybe they will add a sky cam option later on, but it won't happen for awhile. The game needs to separate itself from Madden/2k and it has a huge disadvantage by not having anything NFL in the game. .
I think it has a huge disadvantage forcing one camera angle. One of the things that give the game a fighting chance was unlimited customization. They should take that philosophy to the cam options as well.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:35 PM   #47
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I don't know about that. If this game had the standard camera, the player would be able to see all of these awesome interactions going on all over the field. This game has been built and marketed around the tackling and physics. In my opinion this current set up actually takes away from the appreciation of the physics, as often times I find myself too far away from the play (especially on defense as a safety) to really see it.
How many fans of Madden would take the time to ever even try this game to experience those interactions if the camera was the same and there is no NFL?

That's what NM is up against. In their opinion, APF 2k8 went the route of the standard camera without the luxury of the NFL and failed miserably in comparison to a terrible Madden 08 game with the NFL. If 2k and their history of making football games couldn't succeed going the traditional route without the NFL, what chance would a completely unknown British co. have?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 PM   #48
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
How many fans of Madden would take the time to ever even try this game to experience those interactions if the camera was the same and there is no NFL?

That's what NM is up against. In their opinion, APF 2k8 went the route of the standard camera without the luxury of the NFL and failed miserably in comparison to a terrible Madden 08 game with the NFL. If 2k and their history of making football games couldn't succeed going the traditional route without the NFL, what chance would a completely unknown British co. have?

APF lost out due to lack of licensing. I am not sure there's anyway to overcome that issue. Not to mention VC/2K's normal horrific marketing strategies didn't help. Lack of Franchise didn't help.

Cam options were the least of APF's problems. Leaving a lack of options is a hinderance, no matter what you are trying to do as a football game.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »