Home

Faceshields...

This is a discussion on Faceshields... within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13
Faceshields...

So, this has probably been noticed in other threads before, but does every single player have a black-out faceshield on their helmet?

I'm actually not a big critic of the graphics, I think they're pretty good for a first effort and nothing in the player models really distracts from the action. But I don't know if people fully appreciate how bothersome this may become until they try to recreate the NFL offline or start seeing dropback passing QB's and placekickers wearing dark visors. IIRC, the NFL doesn't even allow that type of visor unless you can come up for some medical/eyesight reason why you'd need one.

It's pretty clearly a design decision to prevent them from having to worry about facial detail. Kinda like how they had that artist's sketch of the Unabomber in the 1990's, but the drawing had his head covered by giant sunglasses and a hood b/c they had no idea what he looked like. No, it isn't a "dealbreaker" or anything like that, but kinda hokey when you consider that even PS2 football games did a passable job with football player faces.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Chelsea, Assemble!

Altimus's Arena

OVR: 58
Re: Faceshields...

I would have gladly taken even 3 generic faces for each skin type compared to black visored players.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #3
MVP

sb24's Arena

OVR: 28

This has been talked about quite a bit. Doesnt bother me one bit and I actually am very happy they went this route. They didnt spend time trying to program a whole bunch of faces they just gave us a football game. Just so you know, the game is set in the future.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altimus
I would have gladly taken even 3 generic faces for each skin type compared to black visored players.
I would've like that option, certainly. I get where they're coming from as a first-time football developer, but it's not like this game was handcuffed to any development cycle...it was heavily rumored in all of 2008 (possibly 2007?) and it was pretty much ready when they felt like it.

Their perspective was probably that the degree of difficulty in making quality facial features in BB would be much harder than, say, Madden, due to the low and zoomed-in camera angle. Like I said, it's not the end of the world, but they definitely took a shortcut, and it's even more "generic" to have everyone with the same visor, as opposed to having a bunch of dudes who look basically the same!
Old 05-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
MVP

Methlab's Arena

OVR: 15

It's a shortcut, but it doesn't bug me too much. It also allows them to use resources on other things. A game like BB would have the 2k eyeball tracking, and I bet they could not work that in this game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

I would have prefered a few generic faces as well but if you make the NFL you just have to pretend that the visors and uniforms are Roger Goodell's idea.The way he's going who knows but the only positions that it doesn't look right on is qb's and kickers.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 1

I thought they looked like a team of badasses myself. Seeing the face of the guy who thumps you to the ground adds nothing to the game for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 06:04 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 9

It was a big issue of mine until I played it. You can't notice them at all really It's not even an after thought of mine now

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »