Home

Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre)

This is a discussion on Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre) within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #33
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Early Backbreaker Impressions (Pastapadre)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
Yes, pasta had some valid points, but I cant help but wonder how the review would have read if it had been another game, and what the ending score might have been. I have a feeling it would be 2 pages of positives, and these negative issues would be squeezed in a small paragraph somewhere.

My point is, I dont feel any credit was given to what this game has done right, and acomplished. The gameplay and physics are simply in another world. Its sad they really got no credit at all.
I highly doubt it. Most of his review was on the horrible AI, which in any sports game is a HUGE issue. Any review that snuck what he said about the AI in the last paragraph would be a joke.

Most of his review was negative, is that his fault? Should he just ignore those things. He did mention the physics of the game by the way.

A lot of people tend to be upset at the reviewer, well what about the game they are reviewing?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #34
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Yes, pasta had some valid points, but I cant help but wonder how the review would have read if it had been another game, and what the ending score might have been. I have a feeling it would be 2 pages of positives, and these negative issues would be squeezed in a small paragraph somewhere.

My point is, I dont feel any credit was given to what this game has done right, and acomplished. The gameplay and physics are simply in another world. Its sad they really got no credit at all.
There aren't two pages of positives because he reviewed it as a football game and not a euphoria tech demo.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
As someone who will be starting a job in video games come next week, artificial intelligence is a rather significant undertaking (morelike massive for a sports game) and definitely not just some rinky-dink thing. If it were as easy as you say it is, then no one would have any reason to complain about Madden's AI after its 21st iteration.

Basically, I doubt that the apparently glaring flaws in Backbreaker's artificial intelligence can be tracked down in code, reimplemented, QA'd, and distributed via patch in the month-or-two-month window that this game is likely to see in significant post-release support. The time could be better spent developing Backbreaker 2, or whatever else 505 / NaturalMotion are working on.
I'm not going to get into a pissing match of credentials with you. But they wouldn't be re-writing the AI from scratch. The issues are not (or don't appear to be to me) significant enough that it would be required. They need to tweak some algorithms on how the CPU calls plays and manages the clock. But you are right, they very well might not get a patch out to fix the issues... but I don't see why testing and QA would hold them up, the game obviously wasn't tested or QA'd much to begin with...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #36
Banned

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
He did say the physics engine was impressive.
True, he did, but it was really a passing statement, there was no meat to the comment. I didnt look to see when this review was posted, but I cant help but wonder why this review was rushed out on a friday evening. My guess is after hearing of a early release, one needed to rush a quick negative review to hurt sales.

I dont mean to judge, but it is fishy.

I dont think bb is the dream game we all want yet. Im just saying theres a lot to talk positive about. Nothing was really mentioned. In my personal opinion, a agenda typed review. It would have meant so much more to me if it didnt come across as such. Like I said, his comments were for the most part, on the mark(yet most already mentioned elsewhere many times), just thought the review was written one sided.

Many of you arent being fair or realistic. You know as well as me if this was a different game, these issues would have been hidden in a list of good features. No talk of the best logo system ever created? No talk of simply breath taking graphics, physics(passing comment). Saying the crowd is dissapointing, when its one of the best looking crowds ever in a football game? Simply put, this game does things NEVER SEEN before, and it wasnt even mentioned. I cant believe everyones ok with that, regardless of difficulty issues.

Last edited by wheelman990; 05-28-2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #37
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
True, he did, but it was really a passing statement, there was no meat to the comment. I didnt look to see when this review was posted, but I cant help but wonder why this review was rushed out on a friday evening. My guess is after hearing of a early release, one needed to rush a quick negative review to hurt sales.

I dont think bb is the dream game we all want yet. Im just saying theres a lot to talk positive about. Nothing was really mentioned. In my personal opinion, a agenda typed review. It would have meant so much more to me if it didnt come across as such. Like I said, he's comments were on the mark(yet already mentioned elsewhere many times), just thought the review was written one sided.
How do you know this review was rushed? LOL.

I mean that is your opinion, but it looks like to me your just coming up with excuses on to why BB got a bad review.

I'll say it again. Instead of everyone flaming Pasta, what about the game he reviewed? I would be much more dissapointed if he didn't touch on the major issues of this game and instead just sugar-coated the review and focused on positives only.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 PM   #38
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:

I dont think bb is the dream game we all want yet. Im just saying theres a lot to talk positive about. Nothing was really mentioned. In my personal opinion, a agenda typed review. It would have meant so much more to me if it didnt come across as such. Like I said, he's comments were on the mark(yet already mentioned elsewhere many times), just thought the review was written one sided.
I see it differently.

If he didn't hit the mark with some of the issues, then I could see your point. He did hit the issues that others have already reported on already.

So, I don't feel there is an agenda with that.

I just think it's a preconceived notion with some people because of his pro-EA stances.

Plus, it's an early impression, not a full impression, yet.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I'm really feeling a strong case of "I told you so". I felt this is what would happen. Everything was too fishy. No media for the longest time. No detailed information about the innards of the game. In my mind, there was no way this was going to come out pretty. Despite that, the demo actually exceeded my expectations for this game.

If online is very solid, there's still a chance this game has a home for some guys out there. I really hope that's the case. The potential here is huge.
Fishy...well if this was part of their marketing strategy then they need to hire some better ad people. They released a demo that has the same problems as early impressions. Reviews sites, including PP, had the game prior to the real release. They put it out there for a small, 1st time game.

It seems, this is a problem of people's expectation being higher than what a first year football game can be. And if I was EA Sports, I would be worried not becuase of the BB's quality but the anti-madden sentiment seems to be larger than most people realize. Heck this doesn't have anything to do with BB, it seems people just want a viable alternative more than anything.

Anyway, I hope BB does get a patch and that we do see additional versions. It would be sad for this game to be killed like APF.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #40
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
How do you know this review was rushed? LOL.

I mean that is your opinion, but it looks like to me your just coming up with excuses on to why BB got a bad review.

I'll say it again. Instead of everyone flaming Pasta, what about the game he reviewed?
I happen to like it, so did eurogamer. If you're not familiar with his past and his affiliation that's on you. Lets say he consider's the game to be on par with NBA Live 2006. Read that review, and read this one and it will become crystal clear.

Even games that do things undeniably well he finds a way to leave a snide remark just to underhand it compared to his beloved EA.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »