Home

Game Informer Review

This is a discussion on Game Informer Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM   #25
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Game Informer Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Actually they did. If you look at IGN's review of a certain licensed '08 game in their review they said (this is a direct quote) "In the average game, you might see 8-12 turnovers between fumbles and easy picks". And that was with a game in it's third iteration, not it's first. Wasn't trying to spark any flame wars but seems the mods are blowing away anything legitimately using other historical reviews for reference so it seems like it's basically take what's being said about the game as gospel or walk.

I think BB has MANY legit issues that need to be addressed, but it really shouldn't be judged in the same way other sim games are judged imo - because it's really not what the devs were setting out to accomplish. At the very least these games need to be graded on a curve, because of the disadvantage the unlicensed games have against the licensed games. If they aren't, we're never going to get other options in this highly restricted environment.
If this game was licensed with NFL teams I believe it would of received a worse review to be honest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #26
DickDalewood

OVR:

Quote:
Actually they did. If you look at IGN's review of a certain licensed '08 game in their review they said (this is a direct quote) "In the average game, you might see 8-12 turnovers between fumbles and easy picks". And that was with a game in it's third iteration, not it's first. Wasn't trying to spark any flame wars but seems the mods are blowing away anything legitimately using other historical reviews for reference so it seems like it's basically take what's being said about the game as gospel or walk.

I think BB has MANY legit issues that need to be addressed, but it really shouldn't be judged in the same way other sim games are judged imo - because it's really not what the devs were setting out to accomplish. At the very least these games need to be graded on a curve, because of the disadvantage the unlicensed games have against the licensed games. If they aren't, we're never going to get other options in this highly restricted environment.
Game comparisons aren't tolerated because they lead to ridiculous arguments and flame wars. This game was reviewed on its own merits, so what a previous game was or wasn't rated is irrelevant. There are flaws, lots of them, and all of the previews and reviews we have seen to this point have mentioned the same exact ones.

Again, keep the game comparisons out. They aren't necessary, especially in regards to this review. Now, let's get this thread back on topic, or we can easily send it the way of so many other threads in this forum.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think reviewers will also compare the game to the stats of the NFL. The reviewer made a big issue of winning the RTB or something or other with a QB completion % of 40% and a rb avg of 3.4 ypg.
Why would it be? It's not and cannot be an NFL game so it's silly to expect that from the game imo. It's already working from a position of disadvantage. That's why reviewers can't judge the game as they would an NFL game.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Not really, those are bad stats comparative to college as well...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM   #29
In Dalton I Trust

Buckeyes_Doc's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Not really, those are bad stats comparative to college as well...
Sure are.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Why would it be? It's not and cannot be an NFL game so it's silly to expect that from the game imo. It's already working from a position of disadvantage. That's why reviewers can't judge the game as they would an NFL game.
Then why would the reviewer bring it up? Regardless if should or shouldn't, I think it will be.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #31
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyes_Doc
If this game was licensed with NFL teams I believe it would of received a worse review to be honest.
But that's the thing - if developers were allowed to make an NFL game, they'd (likely) be using the NFL as the blueprint. NaturalMotion had to go with futuristic player models. Generic stadiums. They're making up players and team histories. I seriously doubt they would've chosen to go that route if they had official licensing. I'm sure 2K would've preferred having official licensing than trying to make up it's own fictional league. Imo it needs to be understood how much of a disadvantage non-licensed games are working from. It's as if tying one guy's hand behind his back and having the same expectation of that person as you would someone that's allowed to use both hands. It doesn't make sense imo.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #32
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

I have not played the full game yet sine I have been out of town. But I have played the demo a lot. A lot of his complaints were skill based in my opinion. I have no problem switching between receivers at all and I don't have 20 negative runs per game. Sure I might get tackled in the backfield a couple times, but I can keep a solid 3.5 ypc average without skewing it with a 40 yard run.

I think the reviewer just didn't adapt to the new scheme BB uses and was too used to the other games. I think had he been given more time he would have maybe gotten a more positive review. Probably nothing significant tough, probably a .5 boost at the most. Who knows how much time he had with it. If he didn't like the game, then he didn't like the game. This game isn't meant for everyone. Either you like Backbreaker or you don't, I am in the minority and do like it...

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-02-2010 at 10:00 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »