Home

Is progression order the problem?

This is a discussion on Is progression order the problem? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Is progression order the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
This is very true. Its irritating, lol. I see maybe 3 passes to (my left, cpus right). They throw to the same receiver all game with the occasional other side of the field or flats passes.
It's frustrating, it comes down to only covering the #2 WR all game long. No need to worry about the other side of the field at all.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
MVP

StormJH1's Arena

OVR: 13

I haven't really paid attention to what the CPU does for progressions...it seems like a lot of the time, they stare down one receiver and then the QB gets smacked in the face if that one doesn't work.

I will say that the focus/progression concept in BackBreaker is actually kinda cool, and far better than the Madden '06 vision cone. However, the execution of that concept (much like 2k5's failed First Person Football) is terrible.

People argue a lot whether or not this is an attempt at a sim game or arcade game. I don't think there's any question this was meant to be a "sim" game, and a hardcore one at that. Yes, the playcalling is bare bones, and some of the controls are meant to be simplistic. But any time you limit the amount of information you're giving the game player in an attempt to recreate what a real football player would experience, that's a clear effort at a simulation experience, in my book. The casual gamer expects to have all the information, and wants it spoon-fed to them through God cameras, button press labels, etc.

Passing in Backbreaker is very hardcore, but the controls stunt it from working the way it would in real life. Looking from one receiver to the next (even if it is just one at a time) is something a real QB could do in a fraction of a second. In Backbreaker, it takes time for the camera to shift and for you to get reoriented. Sometimes, the R stick inputs for switching WR's don't even register.

As much as I hate Natal, if ever there was a game where I felt some elements of Natal could be incorporated, this is it. It might feel more like a series of "passing" and "running" mini-games, but you could imagine rotating your head or body to view the field, and then doing some type of throwing motion when the right guy is highlighted and open.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I have the same problem as mentioned in this thread: the pre-snap progressions ARE NOT the same as the post-snap progressions.

When I went to learn the passing game I would focus on my one specific player before pre-snap to see where the ball would go. In this case, I'd select the TE and flick left to see the left progression (FB) and right to see the right progression (flanker - right side). Once the ball was snapped, those progressions would completely change so my left flick went to split end (left) and my right went to the FB. But, I found this was not consistent to every play and/or formation. So in some cases, the progressions remained the same and other times, they didn't.

This is one key part of the passing game that HAS TO BE CHANGED because it doesn't allow for any continuity. With the minimal amount of time in the pocket as it is, not having the same progressions makes passing merely luck at times.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:45 PM   #20
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I have the same problem as mentioned in this thread: the pre-snap progressions ARE NOT the same as the post-snap progressions.

When I went to learn the passing game I would focus on my one specific player before pre-snap to see where the ball would go. In this case, I'd select the TE and flick left to see the left progression (FB) and right to see the right progression (flanker - right side). Once the ball was snapped, those progressions would completely change so my left flick went to split end (left) and my right went to the FB. But, I found this was not consistent to every play and/or formation. So in some cases, the progressions remained the same and other times, they didn't.

This is one key part of the passing game that HAS TO BE CHANGED because it doesn't allow for any continuity. With the minimal amount of time in the pocket as it is, not having the same progressions makes passing merely luck at times.
Could this have something to do with the QB's ratings? A weaker QB blows his progressions under pressure or in tight spots in the game where as a better QB is almost automatic with his progressions?
Old 06-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by randombrother
Could this have something to do with the QB's ratings? A weaker QB blows his progressions under pressure or in tight spots in the game where as a better QB is almost automatic with his progressions?
I never knew this was the case for this game. Was this really implemented in the game? If so, I may have to go back in and do some more research.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »