Home

Weight and strength factor

This is a discussion on Weight and strength factor within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
Banned

foolish813's Arena

OVR: 7
Weight and strength factor

I think all of the problems in this game stem from strength and weight not being implied enough. O-linemen are usually heavier than D-lineman. If weight was more of a factor they wouldn't get man handled so much. Then the CPU's passing and run game would work better. There would also be fewer people looking lite as paper in the wind.
I have seen players in real life drag defenders for a few yards but not 15 - 20 yards.
This would limit QB's from bouncing around on top of linemens heads after a jumping throw.
As far as strength goes, I believe if the muscle tensile strength in each players individual muscles were strengthened (tuned a little higher), there would be fewer weird and uncalled for falls and not as many legs and arms bending to look like sure injuries for me and you.
From a behavior standpoint (this may not be able to be touched 'til BB2), I think the players should always avoid falling on their backs as much as possible. Most people would twist, bend, whatever to avoid that defeat if possible. And if they do get knocked on their backs they should be damn quick about getting off it.
I think most problems can be tracked back to the strength and weight deal. Am I missing anything?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33
Re: Weight and strength factor

I'd argue that weight is not a factor at all, as demonstrated in videos of players dragging ragdolls that have erroneously attached themselves to the person w/ the ball not slowing the ball carrier down at all.

I think the entire engine is predicated on strength and momentum and the players are weightless for the most part, and how it applies strength masks this shortcoming for the most part.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Banned

foolish813's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I'd argue that weight is not a factor at all, as demonstrated in videos of players dragging ragdolls that have erroneously attached themselves to the person w/ the ball not slowing the ball carrier down at all.

I think the entire engine is predicated on strength and momentum and the players are weightless for the most part, and how it applies strength masks this shortcoming for the most part.
I've seen this happen too, it seems to make them struggle at first, but then they still excellerate to top speed again. weightless?... I should have recorded it, but I had this running back float up, off of the pile and continue to fly out of the stadium. I guess it was an abduction, but he was back for the next play.
But yeah, no weight at all... you could be right. I never thought it that way.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Yea I metioned this previously. The momentum is present but the players have no weight at all. It has a major effect on the gameplay. It damn near makes the whole "physics" engine that the game is based on mean nothing.

What I'm thinking will probably happen is this. The base engine is good, but it needs to be spliced with a traditional animation engine somehow to get rid of the marionette/puppet effect that the game has.

Dont know how they would make that work, but it'll have to be done. As it stands now the players are too.... "loose" should I say.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Banned

foolish813's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
Yea I metioned this previously. The momentum is present but the players have no weight at all. It has a major effect on the gameplay. It damn near makes the whole "physics" engine that the game is based on mean nothing.

What I'm thinking will probably happen is this. The base engine is good, but it needs to be spliced with a traditional animation engine somehow to get rid of the marionette/puppet effect that the game has.

Dont know how they would make that work, but it'll have to be done. As it stands now the players are too.... "loose" should I say.
Exactly, loose. The engine is made if smaller engines. One for the skeleton, and one for the muscles and nervous system. The later is what must be tweaked to be tighter, stronger, and faster as I said in the OP. Using any type of animation engine would ruin what is already a potentially industry changing and great system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #6
Rookie

I can vouch that players are weightless. I don't understand why everyone is basically the same size either? I posted this up at the BB forum: http://forum.backbreakergame.com/showthread.php?t=7776
I played with the freeware version of this software and there are different sized people. They have guys that look like MJD all the way to guys the size of Calvin Johnson with a gut. They could really can be a match for Madden if they'd put more effort in the game.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #7
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

The more I play the more I notice that there really isn't much difference between players. Stats-wise, yes, but not physically. It's still a fun game to play, and it has truck-loads of potential. I just wish some things were a little tighter. I also wish my RB wouldn't have rubbery legs behind his own O-Line. That stupid little fall really pisses me off, lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
Banned

foolish813's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeagle
The more I play the more I notice that there really isn't much difference between players. Stats-wise, yes, but not physically. It's still a fun game to play, and it has truck-loads of potential. I just wish some things were a little tighter. I also wish my RB wouldn't have rubbery legs behind his own O-Line. That stupid little fall really pisses me off, lol.
Maybe they modeled the legs of Curtis Enis aka "The baddest RB there will ever be"

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »