Home

Backbreaker Review

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Review within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #73
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Backbreaker Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
I don't disagree with the point, I just don't think a "review" is where we have to earn our keep or get buried. If we provide "expertise" all along the way, then the review shouldn't be the ultimate element of coverage. I do think it's important to have solid coverage throughout and up through the review, but a review is inherently going to cause issues with the readers -- they have opinions as well and won't always like what a reviewer says and so forth.
Agree again and didn't mean to imply that I though a bad review would be the measure of you earning your keep or getting burried. In fact, I personally 100% disagree wih the opinion of the UFC review and I personally think that is a broken game that was rated very high by the OS reviewer, but also think he did a good job throwing all the pros and cons out there. It just happened to be that the good points fell in areas that he valued and he was able to overlook the negatives and still have a fun experience. My only issue here was I felt the reviewer did a poor job reviewing the game not so much what his review was.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #74
MVP

Dogslax41's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyCobra
I played a game last night..Skins vs Cowboys...I was up 24-6 at halftime.....CPU comes back and beats me 26-24. Romo throws a 24 yd strike to Bryant. I am finding that the game does offer me some challenge.

I would love to have that experience, it just hasn't happened for me yet and I think I have a pretty good sample size completed. I continue playing though remaining hopeful that someday the cpu will surprise me.

Last edited by Dogslax41; 06-09-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #75
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55
I agree with the score. While I've seen better written and organized reviews, the bulk of what is said is correct. The game really isn't that good.......
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #76
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Friendly editor of said review popping in here for a moment. Two of those things in bold are mentioned in the review and everyone knew about the physics from the start -- the game was pushed forward because people were going crazy about the tech demo. However, if the reviewer thinks the gameplay is suspect, how can he rationally rate it much above a 5 when -- and I think everyone would agree here -- gameplay is the most important aspect. I think he gushes about the customization but that can only take a game so far.
maybe you can clarify this sentence more.....um, what tech demo are you talking about? and when did people go crazy?

for a second there I thought the head editor of OS, was referring to this game as a tech demo...lol.

maybe I'm misunderstood what you were referring to there.

Last edited by Afrikan; 06-09-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 PM   #77
Banned

OVR: 32

The review reminds of how 1up review sport games. OS should take it down and give a quality review or don't put a review up.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:44 PM   #78
MVP

swaldo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
This is a flawed view though, people are reviewing the game in the packaging, not the game that it could be after a patch, or after half a decade of refinement.
I partly disagree. If someone were to tell you that BB was a one time deal- take it or leave it then I don't think anyone would buy the game based off it's existing flaws. As a sports gamer I want to know where this thing is going in the future? Is this just a tech demo put out for EA? Was there any effort to make this a sim or is it just an arcade game? Are the developers active and listen & support the community? Do they have the capability to compete with bigger players?

The BB team confirmed they are starting work on BB2 so that's a plus. You just have to factor in how many flaws you can tolerate and decide if it's something you want to support. The average consumer reading the review will get an impression that it's a lousy game. Is it so bad to say look folks, the gameplay has some glaring issues. However, it has this revolutionary new animation system so it really has some crazy potential!

If the game was totally unplayable it would be a different story, I'm not going to just make a $50 donation for something I won't play at all. But there's enough there for me to want to support it and a patch could do wonders.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:51 PM   #79
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

If I'm not mistaken,2k8 got reviewed pretty badly,like 6-7 on average,and many people really enjoyed it,much more than the other game that year that got very good reviews and that game was awful.

I just hope people take the time to make their own opinion.This game does need alot of patience though,which most people don't have.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #80
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
The review reminds of how 1up review sport games. OS should take it down and give a quality review or don't put a review up.
oh those old MLB The Show reviews were inaccurate and unprofessional.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »