Home

A Little Help in Backbreaker!

This is a discussion on A Little Help in Backbreaker! within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
A Little Help in Backbreaker!

Hey all fans of Backbreaker!

First off, I'd just like to say that I officially brought the game last week and love it! I am addicted to it now! I love the game, but I would like to get a little feedback on something regarding this game. The passing situation in this game I believe is horrible!! Every single I have played I only complete roughly 10 passes........out of like 35-40 attempts! Either, Interceptions or incomplete passes! I'm talking about over throwing like 5-10yds on a wide open WR , it gets very frustrating. I throw probably 7-10 interceptions per game its starting to get to me. I created my own team, their main priority is "focus" hoping that would help my QB but apparently has not. I would just like to get some feedback and pointers out there from some good players maybe it would help me out, Thanks you guys! GO TEAM XTREME!

PS......what does the formation thing mean when you have an option of choosing poor, average, good, very good section before playing a game? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 7
Re: A Little Help in Backbreaker!

form... is everything The better form your Players are in the better they play . think of it as in if you are having a good day . as for passing dont hold up after you pass just flick it . its hard but we you get you,ll love it
Old 06-13-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Xtreme
Hey all fans of Backbreaker!

First off, I'd just like to say that I officially brought the game last week and love it! I am addicted to it now! I love the game, but I would like to get a little feedback on something regarding this game. The passing situation in this game I believe is horrible!! Every single I have played I only complete roughly 10 passes........out of like 35-40 attempts! Either, Interceptions or incomplete passes! I'm talking about over throwing like 5-10yds on a wide open WR , it gets very frustrating. I throw probably 7-10 interceptions per game its starting to get to me. I created my own team, their main priority is "focus" hoping that would help my QB but apparently has not. I would just like to get some feedback and pointers out there from some good players maybe it would help me out, Thanks you guys! GO TEAM XTREME!

PS......what does the formation thing mean when you have an option of choosing poor, average, good, very good section before playing a game? Thanks!
Glad you're enjoying the game and yes, it can become frustrating at times. Sounds like you may have a QB with somewhat low ratings. You're on the right track with your focus thought and I would say to check your individual QB's focus rating. You can't change it unless you have the editor, check that in another thread if you wish, but at least it might give you an idea as to what he plays so poorly. Also go into your depth chart from time to time and see where the QB's focus arrow is pointing if it's down or toward the down position he will probably play poorly, might want to check the backups arrow too, sub if needed.

On your last question I think you mean "form" instead of formation. Supposedly your team will play either better or worse depending on what form you choose. I always go with average but you might go with the best one to see if that helps .
Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #4
Rookie

Thanks for the replys, I'm already starting to learn new things! opd, I usually keep my formation at average. During the game, will it change? I though it only changes if placed in "random" before the game starts. How can I check my QB's focus rating arrow? and how do I change it again? through an editor? Coolbreez, So everytime I pass just flick the stick handle? hmmm...Ill give it a shot! Thanks for all your help guys I really appreciate it! Any other helpful tips would be awesome! Once I learn how to pass in this game, It'll be like a dream game
Old 06-13-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
Pro

OVR: 12

Your form does not change mid-game. You can set it before a game, but once it is set it cannot be changed. You can see your players form in the depth chart in the pause menu. What is your QB's focus rating? In my experience, Focus is the ultimate stat for QBs. When I first started playing, the QB on my RTBB team had mid-70's Focus, and I completed about 10% of my passes with 6-7 INTs per game.

Then I started up a Season mode with a different created team and a QB with 94 Focus, and now I can pass at a respectable level. Now I complete 60-70% of my passes, with only 1-2 INTs a game and 3-5 TDs. It's a good thing I magically found my passing rhythm, because my running game went in the crapper when I started up my Season mode.

The best thing you can do it just practice. It will take tiem to get the hang of reading defenses and timing routes, but just keep pluggin along and you'll get better. I would also avoid QBs with Focus below 85 like the plague. 85-90 seems to be the magic area where QBs turn from Jamarcus Russell into... a good QB.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Banned

foolish813's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianwei32
Your form does not change mid-game. You can set it before a game, but once it is set it cannot be changed. You can see your players form in the depth chart in the pause menu. What is your QB's focus rating? In my experience, Focus is the ultimate stat for QBs. When I first started playing, the QB on my RTBB team had mid-70's Focus, and I completed about 10% of my passes with 6-7 INTs per game.

Then I started up a Season mode with a different created team and a QB with 94 Focus, and now I can pass at a respectable level. Now I complete 60-70% of my passes, with only 1-2 INTs a game and 3-5 TDs. It's a good thing I magically found my passing rhythm, because my running game went in the crapper when I started up my Season mode.

The best thing you can do it just practice. It will take tiem to get the hang of reading defenses and timing routes, but just keep pluggin along and you'll get better. I would also avoid QBs with Focus below 85 like the plague. 85-90 seems to be the magic area where QBs turn from Jamarcus Russell into... a good QB.
This is true. I started a thread thinking that form changed during games. I was very, very wrong.
As far as passing goes, I usually always use focus, flick up to pass, and tap in the direction I want to lead if neccesary.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Banned

NonIntegerIrish's Arena

OVR: 9

Passing Game Tips:

1) Pre-snap reads are ESSENTIAL!

60% of your success or failure is determined before you ever drop-back in this game!

- if you come to the line and do NOT go into Coach Cam before the snap, then you are doomed...but even if you DO, it is VERY important to mentally mark the match-ups and potential open receivers BEFORE you snap the ball. If you see a Nickel defense that has not rotated to get a CB or DB on your slot WR, then you should be looking to get the ball to the WR that is going against the LB (as long as its man coverage!)

- equally important is re-setting your primary read to be the "hot" receiver (or at least know how you are going to cycle to the "hot" read if you face pressure right away. BB gives you at most 3-5 seconds in the pocket (as long as you USE the pocket and don't drift to the side or too far back). Unless you are amazingly gifted or can focus on a moving camera that swings across the field, you will likely have to choose one side of the field or the other to attack pre-snap - be sure that you plan for this in advance!

2) Timing on passes is also VERY important.

Unlike other football games you may have played, BB punishes you severely for bad decisions and bad throws. Bad decisions include things like throwing BEFORE a WR makes his cut in this game (I know, in real life the QB often must throw before the WR breaks to complete routes, but in BB, you need patience and timing or your throws are going to go all over the place!

3) QB position and stepping into the pocket at times helps....A LOT!

If you want to avoid the silly looking jump-passes that get picked a lot, then you need to have your QB in a stationary throwing position when you move the right stick to start a throw ("flicking the right stick works much better than "pushing" it), you should not be simultaneously moving the QB's feet with the left stick! If you are, your accuracy will suffer greatly.

Also, you should NEVER throw while still dropping back....learn to take a sack and fight another down to avoid unnecessary INTs. My last game online I went around 15 or 16 of 28 for 260-some yards, 3 TDs and 2 INTs, but the last one came on a needless Hail Mary heave on the final play. I also took 7 sacks that game. BB rewards the player for making sound football decisions (mostly).

4) Learn to use "after-touch" control to guide the passes (and the WR) to open areas.

This gets you into the ability to complete 60-75% of your throws in a game with very few to no INTs once you master it. Lead passing actually WORKS in this game, but it CAN be very sensitive at times too! I have a hard time with it myself at times, but I have come up against some players who shred defenses with the pass too.

5) PRACTICE. PRACTICE. PRACTICE. (I need an Allen Iverson avatar here...lol).

The only way to get really decent at these things is to practice them. This is where I HATE not having practice mode and a user-controlled replay camera in BB...but you CAN get good reps for controls by playing exhibitions against the CPU on "normal"...play 15 minute quarters and call passes on every play to practice your timing.

Otherwise keep playing games and getting better via those reps...

Best of luck with the game, when you do understand how to play it, BB can be very rewarding - frustrating too, but rewarding as well!

NII

Last edited by NonIntegerIrish; 06-13-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
Rookie

noninteg, thanks a lot for all those tips, def helps me out a lot. I just finished playing half a game, and I did not do so well in passing (easy mode, I know, sad)...I had 2int but also had 2tds as well. but still over throwing many many many open WRs....I try and "flick" the stick, but by flicking the stick it makes the pass lob in the air and give enough time for the whole secondary and LB core to gather up and either tip it or int. I tried to switch the passing configuration and pass with the X button, but same thing. I hold X and over throws, I tap X and the ball will lob in the air for like a good 3-4 seconds to be intercepted or tipped. its really frustrating, but Im going to continue to practice, I had to turn the game off because I was getting very frustrating, but I will take these tips into consideration, thanks a lot noninteg!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »