Home

Backbreaker was doomed to fail from the beginning

This is a discussion on Backbreaker was doomed to fail from the beginning within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:45 PM   #33
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Backbreaker was doomed to fail from the beginning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan
and YES I did ask you to make a video of your DAD putting up 70pts a game on the CPU on Hard...

I was the second post right after you made yours...on the same page.

here is the link...
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041166292
Pretty funny-there was a similar (but polar opposite) post on the Backbreaker Forums (i'll find it eventually) that stated that " I beat the CPU by 60 points even if I throw 6 interceptions a game. If I learned how to pass I'd beat it by 90 or 100 points a game." I asked him if he played on 25 minute quarters, but I got no response.

This one says he can't run the ball and uses a decrepit 55 year old father (I'm 54) to slam his point home. I play on Pro/Hard/Average using the "Coach Pick" plays and lose half of my games.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:32 PM   #34
MVP

Tyrant8RDFL's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjspeaks
BB was doomed to fail because they didn't make a dumbed down mindless button smashing football game like the others. The fact that gamers (and especially reviewers) can't, without a thought, smash several buttons and get instant offensive success doomed the reviews and sales. You actually have to pay attention when playing this game. The Brits overestimated the intelligence, patience and determination of the American public.

Those of us who took a little time to learn the game and allow things like pocket awareness and the on field camera to become 2nd nature are really enjoying an awesome sim football experience with incredible tackles, collisions and multiple, fresh 'wow' moments every single game.

You make some great points about the name, marketing, etc. One day one of these companies will recruit some gamers to assist them. Most of us would do it for free.
This game will succeed. Right now many can not see it, but I can. Watch how this game explodes when BB2 releases.

The patch will be good, and then the word will spread. Those that were hesitant will give it a go when 2 releases and the mayhem will begin.

I will not get into more details why, because I do not want to brake any forum rules, but remember you heard it here first.

BB2 will EXPLODE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandice
Everybody's forgetting one important thing -

the gameplay sucks.
Like it was mentioned many times before. This game is for a certain level of patience and knowledge of the sport of football.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #35
Rangers Lead The Way!!!!

ABR173rd's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
And that's the problem Blue, most people who come on here to bash the game don't even own it or have spent enough time with the game to give a good opinion on it. Most opinions are based on hearsay, what they see in Youtube videos, or their impressions after merely playing the demo. It's the exact same thing that happened with APF2K8.

BOOM! Roasted
Opinions here are based off of game play, we all purchased the game and because your one of the 4 guys who hyped a game up before its release (Afrikant who's been called out on this numerous times)and are still trying to hype it up after most sane people abandon ship doesn't make any ones opinion less valid...Everything I have stated was supported by the fact that I spent as much time as possible playing the game from an unbiased stand point....You cant be a fan boy and give an honest opinion and when it comes to any football game I scrutinize them all equally.

You also can't blame the consumers being idiots for the reason a game fails especially when you don't have to be a genius to play or be good at BB,and I'm not saying for other games you do but for BB's run specifically I found it easier to run the ball right off the bat then most other football games I've played now running to the outside sucks because of the camera but that's just an example.When people come on here and act like there amazing at football games and thier so intelligent and thats the only reason they '''get'' BB and no one else does I thinks its hilarious.....Because the playbooks the reads its all been there done that only difference is a camera angle that can't be customized....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #36
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneRanger1
As far as the 54 year old who isn't destroying the cpu on hard which I don't know how, its not possible beings the cpu AI throws 7 ints a game on 5 min quarters you must not be good at football games which given your age and the amount of experience you have means you opinion doesn't count....
How many BackBreaker games have you played? Or your ancient father?

The problem is you're dissing the game without any significant amount of data. Your "no time for gaming Ward Cleaver" father somehow had the skill to demolish the CPU, but where are your details? I've had one game where the CPU threw 0 INTs and others in the 1-2 pick range. Here is another game I documented:

I'm playing as the DC Lawmakers (52-60-59) against the CPU's Boston Smugglers (41-56-50). I'm leading 31-14 at the two minute warning. At 1:52 the CPU QB throws a 26 yard TD pass to make it 31-21. I go three and out and with 38 seconds left the CPU QB hooks up on a 66 yard TD pass to make it 31-28. I expected an onside kick but they kick it "normal deep" and by the time I get to the ball my momentum takes me into the end zone for a safety to make it 31-30. The CPU gets to my 10 yard line to kick a FG to put them in the lead 33-31. With 15 seconds left I throw an INT-next play the CPU kicks another FG to finalize the scoring at 36-31. They outscored me 22-0 in the final 1:52 of the game.

Granted, the big play was the inexplicable decision by the CPU to NOT attempt an onside kick, but still a pretty good comeback.

CPU QB Shay was 16-29, 365 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT despite being harassed all game. He was sacked 9 times, 6 of them coming from my STAR player DT G.Poling. (who I did not control the entire game)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:22 PM   #37
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Airborne Ranger,I'm not a moderator but my suggestion would be that at this point you should just leave this forum.It's obvious you hate the game and it's turning from a debate into something getting pretty ugly,especially at Afrikan.Your comments were getting racial which ,white or black,are unacceptable to most of us.The mods aren't going to tolerate anything close to this either.These forums aren't meant for people who constantly have negativity.Spend time on a forum of a game you enjoy.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:36 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 14

It all starts with the name first. The game should never have been called Backbreaker. The name itself is a fail because it suggests an arcade style gimmick sports game.

* Without an NFL License who would appeal more to this game? Sim or Arcade?

The marketing and promotion for Backbreaker by 505 sports and Natural Motion has been very poor.

* I think they handleled advertsing well. The games features are few. Word of mouth and demos were the way to go. The free Tackle Alley iphone app was a good idea also.

The argument can be made that this game should have been priced at a lower tier as well. I think that Backbreaker would have been sampled if the price tag was 20 or 30 dollars.

* I agree with this, start at 29.99
Old 06-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #39
MVP

opd897's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
Airborne Ranger,I'm not a moderator but my suggestion would be that at this point you should just leave this forum.It's obvious you hate the game and it's turning from a debate into something getting pretty ugly,especially at Afrikan.Your comments were getting racial which ,white or black,are unacceptable to most of us.The mods aren't going to tolerate anything close to this either.These forums aren't meant for people who constantly have negativity.Spend time on a forum of a game you enjoy.

Agree ^^^^
I reported a previous post of his. Getting into people's ages and such is a little much and shouldn't be tolerated on this board.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 PM   #40
MVP

gr18's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by e0820
It all starts with the name first. The game should never have been called Backbreaker. The name itself is a fail because it suggests an arcade style gimmick sports game.

* Without an NFL License who would appeal more to this game? Sim or Arcade?

The marketing and promotion for Backbreaker by 505 sports and Natural Motion has been very poor.

* I think they handleled advertsing well. The games features are few. Word of mouth and demos were the way to go. The free Tackle Alley iphone app was a good idea also.

The argument can be made that this game should have been priced at a lower tier as well. I think that Backbreaker would have been sampled if the price tag was 20 or 30 dollars.

* I agree with this, start at 29.99
After playing the demo and then hearing and seeing the A.I. issues when it was released I was hesitant.When I saw that QVC had it for $30 and Flying Finn putting out an editor for the 360, I then decided to buy it.I'm now enjoying it and hoping the patch will take care of the couple of main issues that are holding the game back from being exceptional.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »