Home

Could You Live With Multiple Camera Angles If Focus Mode Retained Same View?

This is a discussion on Could You Live With Multiple Camera Angles If Focus Mode Retained Same View? within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Could You Live With Multiple Camera Angles If Focus Mode Retained Same View?
Yes-the importance of Focus Mode to QB accuracy deems that it be used often anyway 8 12.50%
No-the camera is fine-a small tweak maybe, but I'd rather keep it close. 25 39.06%
Give me multiple camera angles and No up close Focus Mode view. 31 48.44%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2010, 09:25 PM   #73
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: Could You Live With Multiple Camera Angles If Focus Mode Retained Same View?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
Well obviously the developers intended the game to be played without the icons - hence creating the game with a pick-up & play feel by using a simplistic control system mapped to the R-Stick instead of the expected icon-based passing system.
And? Icon based is more difficult and a hindrance to pick up and play? How so?

Because they made a design decision doesn't mean it can't be improved upon.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #74
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Could You Live With Multiple Camera Angles If Focus Mode Retained Same View?

I feel you're simply arguing in circles now, so I'll simply draw back and leave it at this:

The game was designed to play a certain way and to look a certain way regardless if some people like the direction the developers decided to take. We all agree we'd like options to change or tinker with certain things - cameras, icon passing, etc - but the game is what it is. At the end of the day, I like the game for what it is and how it was intended to be played, and I like the fact that the devs were borderline stubborn and myopic into making a game play, look, and feel so much different from every other football game that it polarizes the community that plays it. Yes, I understand that this could be it's ultimate downfall, but at the same time, it's what makes BB unique. I don't ask Bioshock to play like Red Dead, I don't ask Madden to be 2Ks 1st person football, I don't want Gears to be a like Halo, I don't want NBA 2K to be NBA Jam, etc so along that same logic I wouldn't ask BB become every other football game. In the end, it's all about innovation and hopefully, opening eyes to seeing things a different way.

Last edited by elgreazy1; 07-08-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:42 PM   #75
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgreazy1
I feel you're simply arguing in circles now, so I'll simply draw back and leave it at this:

The game was designed to play a certain way and to look a certain way regardless if some people like the direction the developers decided to take. We all agree we'd like options to change or tinker with certain things - cameras, icon passing, etc - but the game is what it is. At the end of the day, I like the game for what it is and how it was intended to be played, and I like the fact that the devs were borderline stubborn and myopic into making a game play, look, and feel so much different from every other football game that it polarizes the community that plays it. Yes, I understand that this could be it's ultimate downfall, but at the same time, it's what makes BB unique. I don't ask Bioshock to play like Red Dead, I don't ask Madden to be 2Ks 1st person football, I don't want Gears to be a like Halo, I don't want NBA 2K to be NBA Jam, etc so along that same logic I wouldn't ask BB become every other football game.
Great. What's your point? No one is saying take away the ability to play it in it's current format. We're saying add options. If I want to play with icons to select my receiver, it has no affect on you, so why would you be against it? Why would that be a bad thing?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2010, 10:36 PM   #76
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Great. What's your point? No one is saying take away the ability to play it in it's current format. We're saying add options. If I want to play with icons to select my receiver, it has no affect on you, so why would you be against it? Why would that be a bad thing?
I wouldn't mind "icons" in a sense. looking around with your head mapped to the RS and throwing with buttons...but on the other hand LOVE the CLEAN screen. I love the no hud look and no names, numbers, recticles, and button icons.

I wonder if pre-defining the recievers buttons would work but there is no actual icon? I think that is asking too much of the casual to semi-hardcore gamer though.

I agree with you that I'd like to look where I want, but I also REALLY like how it simulates tunnel vision when you focus in on a guy and most of the other stuff on screen is out of focus.

Possibly it could auto-select a receiver based on where you're looking, but that's problematic too.

On the flip side, playing safety of cb, they really need to de-automize a bit. I don't want to jump half the time and get burned for a big gain...sometiems I'd like to just turn my hips and stick an arm up and be ready to make a tackle.

The controls def need some work.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #77
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere

I wonder if pre-defining the recievers buttons would work but there is no actual icon? I think that is asking too much of the casual to semi-hardcore gamer though.
I was thinking that as well. Like the B button would always be your Z receiver, while the X button would always be your X receiver, etc.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #78
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Let me put it this way - if we knew with 100% certainty that this would be the only Backbreaker game released - no sequels, nothing. Fine, you can have your option. No argument at all. But we don't know that yet. We're hoping for a Backbreaker 2. And what happens to Backbreaker 2 if your "option" is preferred by more people? Those of us that like the current camera could lose it for the next game. Afterall, why devote resources to something no one uses. Look at what happened with Madden and the vision cone.

So, to put it bluntly, we don't want to see the game ruined in the future by "options" now.

Adding in controls to look left & right without affecting your target receiver would be fine. Zooming out and adding icons would not be. Period. End of discussion.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #79
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Let me put it this way - if we knew with 100% certainty that this would be the only Backbreaker game released - no sequels, nothing. Fine, you can have your option. No argument at all. But we don't know that yet. We're hoping for a Backbreaker 2. And what happens to Backbreaker 2 if your "option" is preferred by more people? Those of us that like the current camera could lose it for the next game. Afterall, why devote resources to something no one uses. Look at what happened with Madden and the vision cone.

So, to put it bluntly, we don't want to see the game ruined in the future by "options" now.

Adding in controls to look left & right without affecting your target receiver would be fine. Zooming out and adding icons would not be. Period. End of discussion.
LOL @ Period end of discussion. As if that was your call.

The rest of this makes zero sense logically. Now you're either just arguing to argue, or just want to defend the game and the devs at all costs. Adding one option doesn't mean they take out the original option. That's chicken little thinking at it's finest.

It's amazing, I have never seen people so ardently defend not having options in a game. It defies logic. I understand the motivation, but come on.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #80
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu

How are you going to have the ability to look left and right without icons. Looking left and right would have to be mapped to the right stick.

Are you going to have people look to the other side of the field then press a mod button to go into right stick switch mode, then shuffle the stick to the receiver. Pro QBs are faster than that and BB's pass rush and pass defense is too strong for something so slow.

It would make more sense to use the right stick as a look button with icons. Then you just press the icon and throw the ball with the right stick. That way you arent throwing to WRs that you arent looking at and its as fast as a real QB's reaction.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »