Home

All I can say is WOW!!!

This is a discussion on All I can say is WOW!!! within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #41
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: All I can say is WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackceasar
I disagree. Its BUSINESS. Businesses are about making money FIRST. Period. And there is nothing wrong with that. Regardless of your opinion of the general public, they matter. Maybe not to you, definately not to me, but to a game publisher, yeah they matter.. thats where the serious $$$ is unfortunately. And yeah you are right there is money to be made when you're a niche game.. but when you are a niche game that happens to be "football" with the 800lb gorilla which is madden sitting next to you in the room, its another story. This is a niche game (but not really) thats in a general category (football). Its not the same thing as if you create a TRUE niche game which means there really is no category for it. BB is a football game. Therefore its really not a niche game.

You have to look at it from a business perspective and not from what YOU personally would buy or like. They dont care about what YOU personally would like. If you said " you know Id pay 100.00 for a football game with no franchise, no NFL license and the field was rainbow collored" , that doesnt mean its a good business move for BB to do that just because you would be willing to buy it. You dont speak for the masses, BUT I can go and pull demographics data (i actually work in the industry) that would tell you just how much in the minority you really are. These companies look at that kind of data so they can apeal to as many people as possible so they can sell as much as possible. Do you think if there were no exclusive deal on the NFL that BB wouldnt have been an NFL game? Sure it would have but thats just one area that they cant play for obvious reasons but you know good and well if they COULD have made BB and NFL game, they would have.. and why? Because thats what the "moronic" (as you put it) general public would rather have.

So with that said, they know they have to do everything ELSE better than their competitor to get everyone to look past that its a non NFL football game and for people like you and me, its easier to do than it is with the general public. Its no different than the ugly truth that most hot chicks like hot guys, or prefer them at least and the more physically attractive you are as a person the more expectations people around you will make. Is it right? Nope but is it a reality? Yup. Which is why the not so hot guy or girl has to be really better at other things like be a REALLY REALLY nice guy where the hot guy doesnt have to be so nice. Im not saying he can be an a-hole but he doesnt have to work as hard as the not so hot dude to win a girl over. Its the same thing in business. Same thing with this football game.
You're wasting your keystrokes on the hopefuls. Obviously there are plenty heads in the sand.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
You really want to use Rockstar as an example? Go check youtube for Red Dead Redemption glitches.
Yes there are glitches,but do you see rockstar having a Major patch for red dead?If I was NM I would have not realse BB in the state that it was in?Like I said on the offical forum this game die when NM sign up with 505 games.

Last edited by lofeazy; 07-23-2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #43
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofeazy
Yes there are glitches,but do you see rockstar having a Major patch for red dead?If I was NM I would have not realse BB in the state that it was in?Like I said on the offical forum this game die when NM sign up with 505 games.
For all you know, the only difference Rockstar might have made is that we'd be playing with the Liberty City Assassins or the San Andreas Outlaws instead of the generic teams we have.

The camera issue is personal preference and stubbornness issue.. Some people like it, some people don't. There's nothing actually wrong with it. It works the way it was intended to work. After that, the biggest problems are AI related - and every football game ever created has had some of those. I mean, come on now. I think having the CPU RBs breaking 5 tackles in a row on a consistent basis or DBs making cuts before the WRs is just as bad, if not worse than CPU QBs throwing into coverage too often and defenders catching too well. It's hardly a "broken" game.

You guys really need to get your expectations back down to earth. Play the game for what it is... or don't. Stop wishing for it to be something it isn't. They aren't trying to compete with the other game, they've said that themselves. They can't, even if they wanted to. Not only would they need to be better in every way - they'd have to do it for multiple years. It ain't gonna happen with one game. They know that - so they went with a different style. If you like that style, then you should want them to fix a few issues and keep improving the game. If you don't... then go play something else and leave us alone for now. They're on such a small publisher that they don't need to appeal to you to be "successful" with this title. Like I said, they're a niche game. They appeal to a small, specific subset of the video game playing football fan group - their first goal should be to make that group happy. After they do that, THEN they can start working on more options to appeal to other people. One thing at a time, people. It's a gradual process. There were 5 games in the 2k series before they finally managed to get to the point of being "competitive". (and even then it took a $20 price tag to really move units)

Last edited by RaiderKtulu; 07-23-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 1

I feel ya dawg. I had one of the most excellent online football gaming experiences last night. The I was down at the half but came back to take a nice and what I thought was a comfy lead. I punted with 45 tics left on the clock..with 15 tics left and on 4th down my oponent launched a bomb and my corner fell down so he scored a game tying td.

I wound up winning the game in OT 31-28..decent score..some big plays but not too many..some big hits on defense..lots of 4 yrds and a cloud of dust..it felt like a hard hitting, grind it out football game where converting on 3rd down really mattered and 25 yard runs really hurt...

THat feeling of football=a successful game in MY BOOk..in the board room..not so much..it would need to sell...but even 505 new that without an NFL license..they wouldnt sell all that much.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 0

cvbbvmnhnmghngfb cxvz
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #46
Rookie

Legionnaire's Arena

OVR: 5

The game lost me as soon as I got a look at the cartoonish, arcade-like style. My introduction to the concept of this game came back when I was hearing rumblings about this amazing engine that would let you finally play (instead of sort of loosely stringing together canned animations that you would be locked into like other sports games).

Bottom line: I expected, and wanted, something different than what it ended up being. I wanted a serious, realistic football game. Something more real than what EA was offering. And that's just not what this is, which is why the game never made me seriously think about buying it.

The lack of a license isn't a deal-breaker for me, either. Especially since they're toying around with customization tools that might feasibly lead to you eventually being able to recreate the NFL (or NCAA, if they were smart enough to let you use 120 teams and have an option to make players come and go like student athletes do every 4 years instead of a professional situation with contracts and all that).

But, to get me to buy it, the game needs to not look like it's supposed to be some bizarre futuristic cartoon-land version of football (the player models must've been designed by the only man alive who digs that dumb CGI robot in the corner of FOX's football broadcasts). Also, they need to really go to town adding in even more abilities to customize the game (so you can run an NFL-like league, or leagues that operate more like high school or college ball with as many teams as necessary to pull off that sort of thing -- imagine if Backbreaker offered a serious option to run a customized NCAA-type dynasty, but with a playoff system instead of bowl games). And they need to add more player ratings to better differentiate from one guy to the next in terms of what everyone's physically capable of. What's the point of a kickass physics engine if you're not feeding as many variables as possible into it before it spits out the results? That's a big reason why you need more player ratings.

Toss out the unreal graphics. Get serious about players' ratings and abilities. Get even more serious about customization options (and I know they were pretty serious about it to begin with... but load up on even more, is what I'm saying). And stretch your legs creatively, taking more advantage of the freedom EA doesn't enjoy when they have the NFL and NCAA telling them what they can and can't include in their games. I'll line up to put down 50-60 bucks for the game then.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #47

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
If it really is just about money... why release the game at all?
To make money

Pretty sure that's the reason anyone pays to produce a product and sell it.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #48
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
To make money

Pretty sure that's the reason anyone pays to produce a product and sell it.
If that was true they would be in banking or some other less creative/fun but more profitable occupation.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »