Home

All I can say is WOW!!!

This is a discussion on All I can say is WOW!!! within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #49
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64
Re: All I can say is WOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
If that was true they would be in banking or some other less creative/fun but more profitable occupation.
Uh. What? How does this make sense?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #50
Rookie

IcyVegeta's Arena

OVR: 0

The game does have its flaws, but it is leagues beyond Madden in its running game, and QB presence alone.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #51
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish813
U can really tell that alot of people want to see this game succeed. It has been quiet for a long time here. People r patiently awaiting the patch. We should remember this period in time as "The Patch". It's like, everyone knows that if this patch works well, the football gaming market is gonna be shaken up more than it has been for a long time. But back on point, I say wow 'cause any1 else would be ridiculed to death for the patch wait time. I guess we all sense something good on the way.
Wow.

I think I love to play it. I hope it will become successful someday.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 10:36 PM   #52
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
The game lost me as soon as I got a look at the cartoonish, arcade-like style. My introduction to the concept of this game came back when I was hearing rumblings about this amazing engine that would let you finally play (instead of sort of loosely stringing together canned animations that you would be locked into like other sports games).

Bottom line: I expected, and wanted, something different than what it ended up being. I wanted a serious, realistic football game. Something more real than what EA was offering. And that's just not what this is, which is why the game never made me seriously think about buying it.

The lack of a license isn't a deal-breaker for me, either. Especially since they're toying around with customization tools that might feasibly lead to you eventually being able to recreate the NFL (or NCAA, if they were smart enough to let you use 120 teams and have an option to make players come and go like student athletes do every 4 years instead of a professional situation with contracts and all that).

But, to get me to buy it, the game needs to not look like it's supposed to be some bizarre futuristic cartoon-land version of football (the player models must've been designed by the only man alive who digs that dumb CGI robot in the corner of FOX's football broadcasts). Also, they need to really go to town adding in even more abilities to customize the game (so you can run an NFL-like league, or leagues that operate more like high school or college ball with as many teams as necessary to pull off that sort of thing -- imagine if Backbreaker offered a serious option to run a customized NCAA-type dynasty, but with a playoff system instead of bowl games). And they need to add more player ratings to better differentiate from one guy to the next in terms of what everyone's physically capable of. What's the point of a kickass physics engine if you're not feeding as many variables as possible into it before it spits out the results? That's a big reason why you need more player ratings.

Toss out the unreal graphics. Get serious about players' ratings and abilities. Get even more serious about customization options (and I know they were pretty serious about it to begin with... but load up on even more, is what I'm saying). And stretch your legs creatively, taking more advantage of the freedom EA doesn't enjoy when they have the NFL and NCAA telling them what they can and can't include in their games. I'll line up to put down 50-60 bucks for the game then.
Agreed. I was excited to hear that a developer was incorporating Euphoria and trying to apply real-world physics to a football game, but it just seemed hollow. I don't need a game to have the NFL license, but I do need a football game to have... football. Customization, intelligent AI, a slew of features and details... they just weren't there. I get the feeling that the crew who created this game isn't very intimate with football.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 AM   #53
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Uh. What? How does this make sense?
How does it not? Matter of fact I stole that statement from a game publisher. An entrepreneur or a well to do investor that solely cares about return and profit would not publish video games and if they did they would be trying to back a cheap flash facebook game not Backbreaker.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #54
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanyr Vhok
How does it not? Matter of fact I stole that statement from a game publisher. An entrepreneur or a well to do investor that solely cares about return and profit would not publish video games and if they did they would be trying to back a cheap flash facebook game not Backbreaker.
The reason an investor invests is to make a return on his money. What you are describing is along the lines of philanthropy. At some point in time, those that have invested time and money into BB will need some sort of return. If not then that's the end of it. That's just how things go in this world.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:16 PM   #55
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnwood
The reason an investor invests is to make a return on his money. What you are describing is along the lines of philanthropy. At some point in time, those that have invested time and money into BB will need some sort of return. If not then that's the end of it. That's just how things go in this world.
Its not philanthropy. BB wasn't the endeavor for people trying to make a quick buck. It would be naive to assume anything but a long range plan in which immediate profits wasn't the main goal and certainly wasn't in the forecast.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-31-2010, 09:21 PM   #56
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodizzy
Agreed. I was excited to hear that a developer was incorporating Euphoria and trying to apply real-world physics to a football game, but it just seemed hollow. I don't need a game to have the NFL license, but I do need a football game to have... football. Customization, intelligent AI, a slew of features and details... they just weren't there. I get the feeling that the crew who created this game isn't very intimate with football.
That was the feeling I got before the game was released. There is just too much about BB that tips the realism scales for me to feel that way now. Somebody on that team must know the game well or they just got lucky.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »