Home

As The Patch Looms...

This is a discussion on As The Patch Looms... within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Banned

foolish813's Arena

OVR: 7
As The Patch Looms...

Instead of As the World Turns i'll go with As The Patch Looms. It seems that other companies are not fairing to well at wowing the masses in the football gaming race. What at first seemed to be an **** Fail for Natural Motion and Backbreaker, is now becoming a journey into darkness that shows a twinkle of light at the end of the tunnel. The inevitable patch that many are awaiting, holds much more weight than it once did. As initial reviews and other bad press have worn away Backbreaker is steadily amassing a cult family of die hard football gaming fanatics, and unhappy defectors. Natural Motion has earned the chance at another shot or debut anew, with hard work, ground breaking technology, and a relationship with their customer base that can only be envied by others.
As things heat up heading towards the end of the summer. What are your observations, gaming plans, and concerns As The Patch Looms?

Last edited by foolish813; 07-27-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

LingeringRegime's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: As The Patch Looms...

Sad thing is the only way BB will pick up more momentum is word of mouth alone. The gaming masses will still flock to the old stand by, and unless the patch is the greatest in the history of video games it won't change the poor review scores.

I love the game, because of the variety of every play, but it seems I am in the minority. I hope for the best for the patch, but my hopes aren't that high. I am very excited personally, but I don't think it will change the attitude of others who have written the game off.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 11

by the looks of the madden demo backbreaker may have a bright future! :-) Again..with a good patch....
Old 07-27-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 16

yeah, ive been really enjoying the game more and more lately after moving my qtrs to 10 min and using the ask the coach for my plays. Im still throwing picks and so is the cpu, but its just flat out fun just watching the action and the replays. I cant wait for the patch to drop.

|Washington Redskins| |Alabama Crimson Tide| |Boston Redsox| |Georgetown Hoyas|

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedy
My September 15th glitch is still broken even after downloading the latest patch... I won't be purchasing another one of your titles again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep316
You moron they didn't even put out a patch yet.
LMAO
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #5
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

I tried it again last night and just couldn't get back into it, will try it again after the patch in a few weeks. I am using another Xbox now and still can't get achievements.

This won't even really move the needle as far as sales go, even relative to it's poor debut, patches just don't have that effect, and it has a long way to go for most of us to really respect it as a football game. The only time patches and content make waves is when it's for very popular and high sales volume games.

Wait and see time, and it has a long time to loom, still 3-4 weeks out IMO. 2 if it's being certified now... and with it being their first title, and their first patch, can only wonder how long that will take.

There is kinda a big thread for patch stuff already though.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 17

Yep, people have cultivated extremely unrealistic expectations from the patch. There is more wrong with the game than a patch could possibly fix. The camera was the least of its problems. There's a reason the game got 5's across the board (and it wasn't because of the camera), and no patch will make that big of an impact.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:00 AM   #7
Pro

budsticky's Arena

OVR: 13

Yeah, the patch will go pretty much unnoticed by everyone except those that have already bought the game and the few football fanatics that have been reading the reviews and know the issues. Considering that the patch is due to hit sometime after the juggernaut that is Madden it really will have next to zero effect on sales. Sorry to say, but Backbreaker is already yesterday's news and on its way to clearance bins at stores near you (if it isn't there already). The goodwill they get from releasing the patch will go a long way for those that have already invested in the IP, but those that think this patch is going to drop and suddenly all of the world will forget about the new Madden and flock to this game are sorely mislead. I think Madden will see a significant drop in sales this year, just like Tiger and UFC, but it will have nothing to do with Backbreaker.

Mind you, I'm not knocking the quality of Backbreaker or the level of game it could be with a good patch, but I'm realistic. It's too late.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #8
Banned

Charleston_Tiger's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Yep, people have cultivated extremely unrealistic expectations from the patch. There is more wrong with the game than a patch could possibly fix. The camera was the least of its problems. There's a reason the game got 5's across the board (and it wasn't because of the camera), and no patch will make that big of an impact.
It received 5s due to franchise, camera issues, and AI issues. The actual core of the game wasnt bad though.

The patch is supposed to fix/improve 2 of those 3. AI is nothing but coding doesn't take up a ton of space. It can be fixed in a patch. The devs have already stated they are taking player feedback and adjusting the camera some.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »