Home

Finish what ya started!!! (1994 Chicago White Sox Dynasty)

This is a discussion on Finish what ya started!!! (1994 Chicago White Sox Dynasty) within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 8
Finish what ya started!!! (1994 Chicago White Sox Dynasty)

The year was 1994 and it is a year that lives in Baseball History as the worst thing to ever happen to Major League Baseball! The 1994 Baseball season was cut short due to a players strike when the MLBPA refused to agree to a new bargaining agreement to impose a league wide salary cap much like the National Football League enacted just a couple years prior. We are not going to get into the details of all that because quite frankly after researching about it all things got nasty and that's not the point here.

So, let's into the major players. With the strike many seen opportunities from several teams that were not major players in the playoff races for quite some time and even a big time franchise going through one it's worst droughts of it's rich history do battle to make into the elite 6 teams to reach the post season. Starting with the Montreal Expos! We all know what a terrible turn this team took later on, but in 1994 this team was loaded with talent and had the best record in baseball at the time of the strike. Many say that 1994 was their year after the other Canada team was current World Series Champions.

There were other teams destined for post season play that had not been very good to say the least. The Seattle Mariners lead by their young slugging Center Fielder, Ken Griffey Jr. was making a bid to win the American League West. The Texas Rangers which was a door mat to many teams in the past was actually leading the rce up by 1 game over the Oakland A's when play stopped and the divisional races was shaping up to be a great one between the 3 teams teams even though they all were under .500 on the season.

The New York Yankees! The team with all the Championships that everyone loves to hate! Well, they were on a twelve year non-post season drought and arguably one of the best first basemen to ever step on the field had not even had one post season at-bat. Don Mattingly was that man. The Yankees were finally making their bid to end that drought and Don was more than ready to see what October can bring!

The Cincinnati Reds & the Houston Astros were doing battle in the National League Central separated by only a half a game and The Dodgers were pulling away with their division.

Then there is the Chicago White Sox. They were leading the American League Central by 1 game over Cleveland, which was enjoying the inaugural season at Jacobs Field. 4 games back was the Kansas City Royals. The White Sox was loaded with talent anchored by the eventual 1994 AL MVP, Frank Thomas.

SO, with the history lesson out of the way... I think you might have guessed already that I will be taking over the reigns in Chicago trying to make it to the big dance! I plan on continuing this after the season for as long as I can. Everyone says that, but I think I can actually hold interest in this for awhile. Why? Because we all know the young studs that are going to be stars. If I started a 2009 dynasty no one knows many of the young players, but here I can change the course of history as we know it. I am a big history guy. I rather do something like this instead of current day. Don't know why. Goes with my NASCAR dynasty I started last year that I will pick back up some day in the future.. That's if the world don't blow up first!

The next question some of you may be thinking is how can I do this? Well for those that don't know, I am using MVP 05 for the PC and the 1994 MOD that a bunch of awesome people made a few years ago. There is a couple more reasons to do this over a MLB 09 dynasty is MVP games only take around 30 minutes to finish and that there are single A teams which means more GM management for me. The best part is the save reader and box score extractor that I can use to make my updating a lot easier. Which means more meaningless crap that you all can look at if you so choose, but everything you will need to know to follow will be right here. All that extra stuff is just that, extra stuff!

I am playing on the All-Star setting. I have not messed with the sliders, but I will be tuning to make it realistic. I am using a very good team, but even then a .750 winning percentage is unheard of. I will be posting nice recaps using the template style for the White Sox games that has seemed to catch on so hopefully that's cool as It's my own making, but the idea is not mine obviously! I am going update my Minor League Teams with just box score recaps.

The links are to the site that hosts all the team pages and stats. The only player pages that work right now are for the 4 teams in the White Sox organization. I have to upgrade my storage to hold everything. All the team pages, league pages, stat pages & everything else that don't have to do with individual players all work for those interested. I am going to update the site after every series.

So on with the dynasty!

"The Chicago White Sox Organization Information"

The White Sox made 2 moves just 1 day before the season started!
"Trade"
Chicago White Sox Get:
Paul Molitor (1B/DH) (MLB)
Chris Woodward (SS) (A)
Chris Carpenter (SP) (A)

Toronto Blue Jays Get:
Julio Franco (1B/DH) (MLB)
Erasmo Villafuerte (SP) (AAA)
Kevin Witt (1B) (A)

"Purched the Contract of (Texas Rangers)"
Scott Podsednik (LF) (A)

"The Links to each League"
1994 MLB.com
1994 AAA.com
1994 AA.com
1994 A.com

Last edited by Sacrafice; 04-02-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Pro

Re: Finish what ya started!!! (1994 Chicago White Sox Dynasty)

Major League Baseball History (Thread Links)
To be added as the dynasty progresses!

Chicago White Sox History (Thread Links)
To be added as the dynasty progresses!

Important and or Misc. Stuff for Dynasty (Stats Site Links)
To be added!

Permanent Ryne Sandberg link for "onlybygrace"

"Click on picture to view"
Updated: April 23rd, 2009

Last edited by Sacrafice; 04-23-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Pro

Last edited by Sacrafice; 04-02-2009 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
Pro

Ok.... Let's try this again... I got everything corrected from what all the notes say so here we go!!!

"Opening Day 1994!"

Monday
April 4th, 1994

Full Box Score

Last edited by Sacrafice; 04-02-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Pro

"Game 2 of this 3 game Set!"

Tuesday
April 5th, 1994

Full Box Score

Last edited by Sacrafice; 04-02-2009 at 11:24 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Pro

"Chicago Salvages Series!"

Wednesday
April 6th, 1994

Full Box Score

"Chicago White Sox press conference after Blue Jays series"

*White Sox Manager, Gene Lamont steps up to the podium*

Gene Lamont: Thank you all for coming today. I'm glad we won today or this wouldn't be a a very fun press conference.

*The reporters in the room chuckle*

Gene Lamont: Before I field questions I have a few notes to report. First of all as I just stated I am glad we were able to win this game today. The plane ride home would have been aggravating to say the least. As has been mentioned our offense wasn't able to get that hit when we needed it the first two games, but today we were able to get men on base and get them home. Darrin Jackson hit our first homerun today aswell. It was a big point in the game as we just went up 2-1 two batters earlier and to be able to go up by four runs is huge.

I don't think I need to worry about our position players as all of these guys have been around for awhile now and I think that being so early in the season that they will get things rolling. Not taking anything away from the Toronto pitchers as they were pitching rather well as they should. Toronto is not the back-to-back champions because their batters put up 20 runs a game.

Which leads me to our pitching staff. Wilson Alvarez pitched very well today as did Black Jack & Alex the two games prior. The difference between Alvarez getting the win and not Alex or Black Jack is that he didn't give up that mistake to take us out of the game. Wilson didn't have any control problems today and I hope to see that trend continue!

Lastly, we didn't get swept! Toronto is a team we will be battling with through out the season record wise and to start out 0-3 out of the gate quite possibly would have been a big deficit to over come when it gets to the end of the season.

Now for your questions...

John Hickey: I want to touch on your bull pen a little bit here. Today you used 5 of the 6 guys listed on your roster and that 6th guy got the loss in yesterdays game. What is your thoughts on this and do you plan to use these guys a lot this season?

Gene Lamont: Today I did use most of the guys, but for the most part they were in to sway the percentages in our favor. I didn't want to get these guys in the game also so they could get a little bit of action to start the season. I didn't want guys like Roberto Hernandez to start the season on the bench and when we needed him to come in and not have played at all. We needed this win today so I did what it took to keep the score in our favor. I don't plan on having the game play out like it did often, but I won't hesitate to do so if I need to.

Todd Kalas: What kind of role is Bo Jackson going to have on the team with the acquisition of Paul Molitor?

Gene Lamont: Paul Molitor will get as much playing time at DH as he wants. He has earned that in his career. As for Bo Jackson it has been a couple years now since his hip surgery and he feels that he will be able to contribute more on defense than he has the past two season. With that said we will use Bo more in the field and to spell Molitor when he requests a break or a game here and there. Bo will also come in during those pressure situations when anyone in the lineup is having a bad day. Bo's bat still has some pop and we are confident that he will be able to contribute in many ways. We all know he is not the Bo of the past, but we are fortunate to have him here.

Scott Meakin: Your superstar Frank Thomas was out there playing his heart out these 3 games. Are you worried at all that your best player may wear himself out before the end of the season?

Gene Lamont: Frank Thomas is the heart and soul of our team. He is our leader and Frank chooses to lead by example. he plays every play like it's his last and this series is no different. We might not have won the game today if it weren't for him. He had 2 runs and 1 RBI today. To answer your question, no I don't think Frank will wear himself out before the end of the season. We will make sure he gets his days off. He hasn't taken many games off in the past I don't see that changing at all this year.

That's all for today. I will see you all after the series with the Red Sox.

Last edited by Sacrafice; 04-02-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Pro

"Minor League Report"

"Nashville Sounds (AAA)"

Thursday
April 7th, 1994

Full Box Score

"Birmingham Barons (AA)"

Thursday
April 7th, 1994

Full Box Score
Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
MVP

stlstudios189's Arena

OVR: 41

I like this

I have won like 20 Super Bowls in Madden so I am kinda a big deal.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »