Home

Through the thin air ~ An MLB 09 The Show Rockies 'Chise

This is a discussion on Through the thin air ~ An MLB 09 The Show Rockies 'Chise within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-25-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 31
Through the thin air ~ An MLB 09 The Show Rockies 'Chise

Hello everyone. I've owned the game MLB 09 The Show for the PS2 for quite a while now, and am going to try and get a franchise going for you all. I'm not sure exactly how much time I'll have to update this, seeing as I've got two things I'm working on frequently in the hockey dynasty hq forums. However, I'll try my best to get some steady updates going. I've chosen the Rockies because I've got family that used to live in Denver, and my first baseball game as a child in the states (first ever one was with a different side of the family at the Skydome) was a Rockies' home game. I hope you'll all have as much fun as I do as I take you along the ups and downs of running a dynasty.

Also, I'm already mid-way into the season.

Here are my settings:

MLB 09 THE SHOW (PS2)

Difficulty: Veteran, default sliders

Rosters: default (it's either this or updates from the middle of May--thought it'd be fun to see where Manny and Ben end up

House Rules for GM Mode: No signing big-name free agents in the middle of the season, no giant trades in season 1.

House Rules for playing games: Only play defensive side of inning, sim offensive side.

Will try and get you all up to speed ASAP, so I'll just give a few short articles detailing some of the trades I've made. I'm in the middle of May, so I'll provide an end of the month April recap.

Wish me luck ;-)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Banned

Re: Through the thin air ~ An MLB 09 The Show Rockies 'Chise

ROCKIES, ANGELS SWAP HOT CORNER-MEN

Chone Figgins' stealing ability and fielding prowess made him a premier attraction to Jim O'Dowd.

April 20th, 2008 --

Rockies fans all over were left with mixed feelings today. Some were happy. Others, sad. More, enraged. Most, confused. However, one thing is solidified: Rockies' General Manager Jim O'Dowd has traded away struggling third baseman Garret Atkins to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in favor of a smaller, speedier talent.

That's right, Denver. Please welcome tiny Chone Figgins as your team's new talent in the hot pocket.

Figgins, as of now, has been incredibly hot, starting off the season with an inredible .342 batting average while knocking 2 dingers over the fence, while knocking in an incredible 14 RBI's. Atkins, on the other hand, was seriously struggling, and had been the main topic of frequent complaints by manager Ottis Marino, as well as owner Jim Coors.

Figgins is set to make his first start as soon as possible, and has already been tagged as the team's starting third baseman.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Banned

ROCKIES MAKE QUESTIONABLE DEAL, SEND ACE TO MOTOWN

Armando Galarraga, who is 2-0 so far this season with the Detroit Tigers, will be looking to make an immediate impact with his new team, the Colorado Rockies.

April 20th, 2008 --

Almost 15 minutes after completing a questionable deal that sent young 3rd baseman Garret Atkins to Anaheim, Jim O'Dowd has made another move, sending superstar pitcher Jeff Francis to the Detroit Tigers for Armando Galarraga. Galarraga has gotten off to a remarkable start to the 2008-09 season, going 2-0 with 24 strikeouts. However, Jeff Francis has been struggling in his first 3 starts for the Rockies, going 0-3 with a dismal 7.44 ERA.

"It was very, very hard to part ways with Jeff," O'Dowd said to media moments after the trade had been announced.

"He is a very gifted, talented, young pitcher, with some great stuff. However, it became more and more clear with every start that he just wasn't going to work well with our organization. He simply wasn't going in the direction the staff had planned for, or even hoped for. We wish all the best in the future, and wish him very good luck."

Galarraga, on the other hand, seemed somewhat complainy over the news of his recent trade.

"I don't want to move," He wrote down as his status on Twitter. Moments later, he changed it to, "I was already on a great team where I had great friends and great fans. Now where am I?"

Galarraga is set to make his first start in a Rockies' uniform on April 24th, Friday night at Coors Field against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #4
Banned

ROCKIES ADD POP WITH DEAL FOR DOUMIT

Ryan Doumit is reportedly eager to start his career as a Colorado Rockie.

April 25th, 2008 --

Another trade has just been made by Colorado Rockies general manager Jim O'Dowd, merely days after he made not one, but two, lopsided, questionable offers.

Today, he has dealt away young rising catcher Chris Ianetta to the Pittsburgh Pirates for more proven, powerful catcher Ryan Doumit.

"I'm excited," Doumit said to reporters minutes after the trade had been announced.

"I still love some of the guys in the Pirates' locker room. Hopefully there won't be any bad blood between any of us. However, this news of the trade's really made my day; I can only take so much losing!"

"We're very, very happy to having Ryan become a part of our team, as well as become a part of our family," said general manager Jim O'Dowd. "We're looking forward to the upcoming season he'll be spending with us, as well as the next two that are set to follow that."

Doumit has been struggling as of late with the Bucs, although Ianetta has been worse, with a .121 batting average, nil in the home run department, and only 2 RBI's.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Banned

ROCKS ADD YOUNG CANNON WITH LITSCH

Jesse Litsch is an incredibly gifted young pitcher, and now, he's a member of the Colorado Rockies.

The word's just come through. It seems that having two trades every week is going to become a regular thing, here in Denver, as fire-seller Rockies' GM Jim O'Dowd has made yet another trade, sending the ace of his starting rotation, Aaron Cook, to the Toronto Blue Jays for youngster Jesse Litsch.

"It's definitely a big move for us," said O'Dowd to the press during the announcement of the transaction.

Litsch, who is 22 years old, is a right-handed young starter who has 2 years of professional baseball under his belt. Last year, in the 2007-08 season, Jesse went 13-9 with the Toronto Blue Jays, posting a remarkable 99 strikeouts in this kid's first MLB season, while maintaining a 3.58 ERA.

This season, he is 1-1, with 12 strikeouts and a 3.29 ERA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
Banned

O'DOWD DOES IT AGAIN, GETS PIERRE

April 29th, 2008 --

Moments after the Colorado Rockies swept the San Diego Padres, another trade was announced. Three days ago, the Rockies finished a 3-game series with the Los Angeles Dodgers, losing 2 of the 3 games played. Juan Pierre was a vital part of the Dodgers' series victory, stealing 6 bases through the first two games and stealing another two in the third game. He posted two triples, and managed to knock in four runs.

And now, he's a Colorado Rockie. The Denver-based organization paid an arm and a leg for the ancient, yet speedy left fielder, and only time will tell if the price of top-prospect left fielder Frances Langford and shortstop Omar Quintanilla for Juan Pierre and a no-name, highly doubtful prospect will pay off.

"He was lethal against us," O'Dowd said in reference to Juan Pierre. "It's going to be exciting having a guy like him on the team. A lot of people might say that we've already got our fair share of speedy players, like Chone [Figgins] and Scott [Podsednik], but the truth is that while a guy like Scott is great in the field, and is great on the basepaths, he's been having a lot of trouble in the batter's box these days. It's good to have a guy like Juan on the team, who can help the club win big ball games, and will hopefully add some more fans to the stands with his stellar speed."
Old 07-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
Banned

WARNING: THE UPCOMING TRADE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FACT THAT THE MAIN MAN INCLUDED IN THE DEAL RECENTLY PITCHED A PERFECT GAME.

Ok, well....maybe a little bit ;-)
Old 07-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #8
Banned

O'DOWD FIXES MAIN PROBLEM, GETS ACE

Without Aaron Cook, the Rockies had been lacking a major ace. Now, they've got one in Mark Buehrle.

May 7th, 2009 --

Without Aaron Cook, the Colorado Rockies had been struggling for quite a while without a true number 1 starter, a true go-to guy, a guy who the team could depend on to win the majority of his starts. No "ace", if you will.

Now, general manager Jim O'Dowd has fixed that problem, by acquiring ex-Chicago White Sox pitcher Mark Buehrle, as well as AA-minor league starting pitcher John Van Benschoten, and AA-minor league prospect Omir Benton for Rockies' #1 starting pitcher Ubaldo Jiminez, AAA-minor league prospect Matthew Brnes, and AAA-minor league starting pitcher Jorge De La Rosa.

"It was a very tough decision, carding away Ubaldo like that," said O'Dowd in reference to the trade.

"However, although he was clearly our best player so far this season, it was clear that we were in desperate need of an ace, and we got that in this trade, no matter how desperate we got in the negotiations."

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »