Home

Dane West's Journey to the Hall of Fame

This is a discussion on Dane West's Journey to the Hall of Fame within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Dane West's Journey to the Hall of Fame

Table of Contents:

Chapter 1: The Draft
Chapter 2: The Goodbye
Chapter 3: Arrival in Kodak
Chapter 4: My First Game

Last edited by AmazingMets; 03-07-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Dane West's Journey to the Hall of Fame

Chapter 1: The Draft

I can't believe where I am sitting right now. In New York City. The draft is about to begin! And I am in it! The reality as to where I am had not struck me until a few days ago. So few people make it to this place. And even fewer make it to the majors. I really hope I am one of the few to make it.

I just called my mom. She said all our friends and family are watching the MLB Network and can't wait to hear where I am going to be going! This is very nerve racking for me. My dream is to be selected by the Mets. But that is unlikely. They already have a farm system stocked with prospective relievers.

Oh my god, it's starting...

With the first pick of the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft, the Washington Nationals select Catcher, Bryce Harper.

Well, no surprise there. Harper is a truly talented player. A phenom he is called.

It is almost half way through the 1st round. I am so nervous. I can't believe I fell this far honestly. But, what can you do?

With the 16th pick in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft, the Chicago Cubs select, pitcher, Dane West.

What? Did they just say... It couldn't have been? Could it? Yes! It was! The Cubs selected me 16th overall! Oh my god. I cannot believe it. I have to call my parents.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
Rookie

Chapter 2: The Goodbye

"Daneee someone's here to see you!" my mom called from the kitchen.

I was upstairs in my room packing. I had been informed by the Cubs that I was going to be sent to their Double-A affiliate, the Tennessee Smokies. They are located in Kodak, Tennessee. Where the hell is that?

"DANE!" shouted my girlfriend Lindsey as she ran into my room and tackled me in a huge hug. "I am so happy for you!"

"Thanks babe. The Cubs are sending me to Tennessee to play double-a ball. Can you believe?"

"Tennessee? But, that's so far!" she responded sadly.

"It's not that far hun," I replied trying to raise her spirits. "And just think of it this if I make it to the majors, I might be able to get you free tickets the next time the Mets come to Wrigley to play the Cubs!"

"That could be fun," she said, with the start of a smile on her face, "I am just going to miss you so much!"

"I'm going to miss you too Linds," I said, stroking her face, "I'll come home to visit as much as I can. But, you have to know, especially the first month that I get to Kodak, I am going to be very busy. Getting settled, meet the team and my coaches. It is going to be very hectic."

"I understand, call me whenever you can though!"

"Oh, I will."

"When do you leave Dane?" Lindsey asked.

"My plane leaves at 10AM tomorrow, and I still have so much packing to do."

"Ohhh, I'll leave then. Don't want to make you not be ready," Lindsey said.

"Okayy, by Linds. I'll call you as soon as I land okay?"

"Sounds good. I'll be sitting next to the phone until I hear from you!"

"Bye Lindsey!"
Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Rookie

Chapter 3: Arrival in Kodak

The plane ride seemed to take forever. I just wanted to get to Tennessee before this would all go away. It still felt like that much of a dream. Getting off the plane I was met by my new team's manager, Ryne Sandberg.

"Hello, are you Dane West?" this guy I'd never seen before in my life asked.

"Yes I am. Who are you?"

"I am your new manager Ryne Sandberg. I was told to come here to pick you up. Your are highly regarded among the Cubs organization, and I was sent to get you myself. Wouldn't want anything unfortunate to happen to you. Now would we? You listening to me?"

"What? Yeah, highly regarded, don't want anything unfortunate yeah I get it."

"Good now hurry up and go collect your bags. We have a game tonight, and you have to be there. There is even a chance that you might pitch. So, don't be late!

What? I might pitch today? This guy must be crazy? Right? Nope, he looked dead serious. Holy ****. What am I going to do? I'm not ready for this! Especially, not double-a!

"Dane! I said to hurry up. When, I say to do something you do it right away. Welcome to the life of a minor leaguer. Your mommy ain't here for you no more son. Now go get your bags. I want you outside waiting for a taxi in ten minutes. You still have to get to your hotel. Be at the stadium in an hour and a half."

My god, he really is serious. I need to move! I'm so nervous for tonight..
Old 03-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #5
Rookie

Chapter 4: My First Game

I got to the stadium with only five minutes to spare. Had to quick change into my uniform and out on the field I went for warm-ups. I had no idea what was going on. So, I decided to tag along with this guy who was also a pitcher. He seemed to know what he was doing.

"Hey kid, what's your name?" he said after a few minutes of me following him.

"Dane West, I was just drafted by the Cubs last week. 16th overall pick," I said rather proudly.

"Ahh so you're the new guy. Word is that the manage is going to throw you out there in a real pressure cooker if he has the chance. Be ready."

"Thanks!" I said and then looked down.

"Don't mention it. Seriously. And if you get to pitch today, don't screw it up. I'm starting and I really could use a win."

"I would dream of it."

Well, maybe I do dream about messing it up. But, he doesn't have to know that.

As the guy started to walk away, I yelled after him. "Hey man, what's your name?"

"Chris, Chris Waters," he yelled back, "and remember, don't screw it up for me!"

----------------------------
(One hours later)

Riiinnnnggg, riiiiinnngg.

"Mhmm, yep, okay coach."

"West! Start warming up! Coach wants you ready at a moments notice."

I could hear the rest of the guys in the bullpen mumbling, wondering why the new guy was going to pitch in a run one game. Soon enough, after I threw only about ten warm-up pitches a two out, triple was hit off our pitcher at the time, Travis Bourjos.

Riiinnnnggg, riiinnnng

This must be it I thought, I'm going to pitch. And, in a big jam too. Get the batter out, and we can all go home happy we won the game.

"Now, Dane. Don't worry about the guy on third. Pretend he doesn't even exist. Just worry about the batter. He cannot reach base!"

"Yes coach, I'll do my best."

As both he and my catcher leave, my catcher says...

"Now Dane, just trust me. I understand this is your first appearance ever. Relax and throw the pitch, I call, where I want it," the catcher, Jess McCutcheon said.

Easier said than done...

"Okay!"

As he settled into his crouch my nerves really started to come on.

"Play ball!" screamed the ump.

Oh my god, this is really it, I thought. What's he going to call?

Okay, slurve, breaking right over the middle of the plate.

"STRIKE ONE!"

What's he going to call this time? Slurve again, this time low and outside.

"STRIKE TWO!"

One more pitch, just one more and I can go home happy. What is it going to be? Fastball! Down by the batter's knees and inside.

"FOUL BALL!"

Okay, Dane, relax. You can do this. What is Jess going to call now? Fastball again. This time high and tight.

"YOU'RE OUT!"

Oh, my god! I did it. My first ever save and strike out!

"Congratulations, Dane. I knew you could do it," Jess said, as we embraced.

"Job well done, Dane. Maybe you aren't a waste of a draft pick after all," my coach said.

"Hey new guy! Want to come out to eat with us?" someone yelled.

"Nahh guys, I can't sorry. I still have to unpack and stuff."

"Okay, see you back at the hotel then," that same person yelled back.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »