Home

The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be

This is a discussion on The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #49
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be

Is there an update coming soon?
Old 04-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #50
MVP

OVR: 3

haha yall went in on that photo about the fickle folks down in Gwinnett. Actually had me googlin' what you were referring to concerning Toronto and after one picture:

This my friends.. can't be life?

So now erm, back to business, this is actually a good and bad news type update. While I always enjoy breaking the fourth wall I must break it with a large sledgehammer because on the one hand I am about to reveal what was the greatest performance of Atlanta Braves Baseball on MLB the Show. Period.

Better than all the walkoffs, the 3 HR games, the clutch relief appearances, Derek Lowe winning one in 2010, Hanson beating the Yankees in 2012... Prado robbing the Rockies in Game 5... just any moment that you've ever read about throughout these memoirs have officially been trumped. Ice T style...

And yet on the otherhand the consequences of how this game came about sadden me on a personal level.

You see, this past week I lost a family member that I was very close to. In fact the person that raised me basically. I took it pretty bad the first few days.

Well anyway I decided I'd fire up the Show. Hadn't played in awhile, and I just wanted to distract myself from thinking about the events that were taking place. We had just hit the road to start a 13 Game Road trip out west making stops in San Diego, LA, and Colorado.

The first matchup was our Boys from Cobb County vs. The Padres. I was already excited for this game because it was a rematch of an excellent NLCS from last year and I knew it would be a great series, seeing as how they were also in first place in the NL West.

Zambrano was on the mound, we know how inconsistant he can be.. and yet, Big Z was through the first 9 batters untouched.

That's usually the first goal you shoot for is trying to give your best effort when the batters are timid. They usually come back with a more agressive approach the second time around.

But after 6, Z was still untouched. And at this point the game began purposefully trying to jinx things. Nearly every other batter there was a reference from the boys upstairs about what was going on in that hit column.

And for those taking score in the probably 20 years I've been playing Baseball games, dating back to Tony LaRussa RBI baseball, or Triple Play Gold on the SEGA. No-No's ALWAYS got broke up around this mark. We've all played the game, we know when we're on the verge of one, and we usually all know when they are about to get broke up. I was already well aware of what was going on without the help of Matty V.

Quote:
Yes, that is Fulton County in that 8bit graphic. I'm good like that...

The end was a little hard, the CPU was starting to catch on, but that damn ground ball up the middle never came. They kept popping up, flying out to OUT field, and weakly hitting the ground balls right to our infielders. . And for the rest of the ball game we played 3B bunt D to avoid the "chicken****" management of the CPU. Jim Tracy's words not mine.
I kept waiting for the bull****, my words not his, and almost got it when Zambrano had a ball hit him right in the arm and then I started animating over the ball, but he picked it up and got the close play at first..

There would be no other scares to that nature

This was a long post, and I know it... but let's be honest with ourselves. I'll probably NEVER,EVER,EVER,EVER throw a No-Hitter in a baseball game again. So one post for something this special is hopefully cool beans?

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #51
MVP

... Even more so, we'll never see Zambrano pitch a game with one walk. Now THAT was an abnomaly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #52
Cupcake Coach

R1zzo23's Arena

OVR: 16

Congrats on the no-hitter! I know what you mean on the CPU doing everything it can to break it up. I remember playing MVP 05 back in the day. My pitcher was 8.2 innings deep and had a no-no in the works. Next batter comes up, hits a little flare just behind where the first baseman was standing and the CPU wouldn't allow me to move my defender back to haul in the easy, lazy liner. No-no broken up...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #53
All Star

bhurst99's Arena

OVR: 27

Congrats on the no hitter. I've near had in one in 25 years of playing video game baseball. That's a great accomplishment.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 AM   #54
Y.N.W.A

Rexis's Arena

OVR: 25

Damn, I been waiting on an update of the last thread (Its in my subscription folder).

Funny I didn't see this earlier because I've been on top of updates to Hurst's two baseball franchises. Good thing I visited the main forum today instead of just going to check my subscribed threads. Even though I lost a couple hours of sleep, It was nice catching up with a lot of updates to go through.

Sorry about your loss and congrats on the no-no.

LiverpoolFC Atlanta Falcons Atlanta Hawks Atlanta Braves Kobe Bryant
Old 04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #55
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36
Sadly, the only picture I can see on my phone is the Blue Jays one. Yeah, it's been like that. However, now people are starting to sneak down to those seats. Which sucks, because I always sit in those seats.

On the no no, congratulations. Coming off something like what happened to you and pitching a no no is great. Another reason to love baseball. Congrats again, great update.
P.S don't worry about the long post. We all enjoy your updates, I think that I speak for everyone when I say that no one minds a longer post.

Cheers! :-)

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by AC; 04-25-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #56
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexis
Damn, I been waiting on an update of the last thread (Its in my subscription folder).

Funny I didn't see this earlier because I've been on top of updates to Hurst's two baseball franchises. Good thing I visited the main forum today instead of just going to check my subscribed threads. Even though I lost a couple hours of sleep, It was nice catching up with a lot of updates to go through.

Sorry about your loss and congrats on the no-no.
Ah cool a Rexis cameo. I actually feel your suggestion last season to run with the young guys in the rotation actually made the difference in getting over the hump and getting a ring last year and also saved the direction the offseasons were to go from 2010 on..

I only knew about the top 3 guys and didn't have confidence or knowledge in anyone in AAA, but once we started diving deeper into the depths of our system guys like Mike Minor, Brandon Beachy, and shudder even Kris Medlen have shown that they will carry the team for as many years as we need them as long as we can afford to keep them I guess....

So here's a Coors to you.

And a Coors to everybody else too, because we have finally gotten on a bit of a roll. The No-No was nice. The money is flowing in like milk and honey. We're out in La-La Land, and the Weather's nice, the Women...

I guess to interrupt our little small inpromptu party it appears the MLB Amatuer Draft has come up. Son of a bitch, it was just getting fun today! While the option to keep on kicking back silver bullets is not a possible choice. We go on and join Ted and Josh the Security Guard in a draft that's already in progess:

I just cropped this photo to show first picks and ours. We're selfish people here in Atlanta. We only care about us.. and pick one.... and maybe pick 2. But that's where the line is drawn amigo.

Also rather than spend valuable time, rating prospects with stats and x's and o's I thought it'd be a much better use of time to make note of a few guys who based on the CPU having a great sense of humor will be destined for greatness. I call it our "This guy's going to be a Beast because he has a Cold *** name" Moment"

For instance, Jerome Swift? eh? First pick eh? A 18 year old with no facial hair and pimples straight out of a prep school in Hollywood, Florida? I guess he'll be good regardless of his generic normal sounding name.

But..pick 22 in Milwaulkee Humberto Marquez? Or Santiago Vizcaino. Now THAT's.... a cold *** name. Having two last names will do that for a fella.

Or the Angels Boyce Heintz. Brilliant naming CPU.

And let this be a mini man lesson amongst ourselves. Next time you get into an argument with the special lady about possible names for future children. Fire up MLB the show and let her see some of these "alternative" names choices you could be coming up with. Your name will sound like a million bucks after seeing some of these names. Again the Memoirs is more than entertainment or banter.. it's can be a place of education.

Ahem... back to business, this was actually a great selection by Ted Turner and Josh. Usually the CPU gets it wrong. Usually the CPU goes after the best player available. Maybe the BPA was a position of need for us and this is all one nice coincidence. Needless to say, we needed a thirdbaseman, and we got a B potential guy at the last pick.

Keep in mind 3rd base has been our achilles heel. A-Gon has lost the job to Uggla. Uggla as you know can't hit the righty heat so he's not a permanent option. Conrad would be the fulltime guy but Furcal is so old he gets tired every other game so he has to play SS rather than 3B. We've also thrown Hinske at 3rd. We've had Freeman spell there too. It is clearly a Jersey Shore Turnstall on the hot corner, and any talent coming into that position would be a plus.

We also picked a guy it appears named Tug.. if you're like me you should be already salvivating at the possible opportunity of the life and trials of some random dude named Tug down in A ball.. he'll be the first one to get a contract.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »