Home

The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be

This is a discussion on The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: The Ted Turner Memoirs Part 4: Rise Of The Powers That Be

Ted chuckled a little...

Was it funny that as soon as Vincente Padilla entered the game, he knew there was a chance the game would get blown open? After battling all game with Jair Jurrjens pitching magnificently and getting absolutey ZERO run support due to the Braves leaving 8 men in scoring position on base throughout the game.. We were nursing a tied game into the 8th, and the opportunity for the Dodgers to steal one at the end seemed to be pending.

Then Padilla started running from the outfield bullpen and again I must note... Ted chuckled a little.

Once the first two guys got on with a single up the middle, and a double down the 3b line. Runners at third and second. Heyward up. Padilla sucking... and then again as the CPU has done this year... they've decided to take the bat out of Heyward's hand rather than lose to the 2012 MVP.

That's starting to become a rather unfortunate situation by the way.

And just like that... Freeman has done it AGAIN!

And this is what confuses me on the situation. This used to be McCann's role. He used to be the guy batting behind Heyward who'd come in take the heat and burn the pitcher for choosing to not go after Jason. But then... it seems once McCann got his dinero from our front office he has now turned into a shell of himself as he is now in a two season slump.

This after we cut this guy a check for 5 more years at max money before Heyward even got his off the top. You telling me there's 4 more years of this? Damn...

Enter Freddie Freeman. Just as McCann is starting to show signs of taking his money and riding into virtual retirement. It seems that Freddie Freeman is finally, FINALLY, starting to come around. it only took him 3 years. But I must tell you this guy has made me really regret losing Derrek Lee in 2011 every game he has played in. But... if he continues to play at an All Star level it may compensate for McCann becoming less of an offensive threat.

Unfortunately for Freddie, he'll never make it because the all star ballot goes
Quote:
1. Pujols (Lifetime MLB the Show spot it seems)
2. Random HR leader 1B
3. Most deserving guy based on stats.
Freddie Freeman is currently in that #3 range. Unless he was to eat a year supply of Wheaties prior to the season and start smashing the crap out of the ball.. he's always going to be on the outside looking in, unless Pujols opens the door for someone else to get a taste at a All-Star game. As it stands, Freeman is most certainly due for this chance. he's been playing incredible so far.

EDIT-I almost forgot to mention why Ted was so tickled? Because friend, it is common sense that Vincente Padilla is a horrible picture. Maybe he was good in Philly, but his tenure here in Texas had me knowing he was going to give our boys a chance. The Dude sucks and he proved it, giving up 2 hits, a intentional walk, oh... and a first pitch grandslam. That's pretty realistic and pathetic at the sametime IMO

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-27-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #58
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36

Are we going to see more back story from this?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #59
MVP

It had been hours since the team had answered the last of the postgame questions from bothersome beat reporters, and had changed out of their gray pants and into casual wear for the bus ride over to LA Century Plaza. As is usually the custom on road trips, the equipment manager makes one last round before signing over the lockeroom for the host team's approval and inspection.

However it was a Friday, and strangely enough although we were a bit behind schedule tonight.. Ted and Josh the Security guard appeared in no hurry. In fact, they sat one folding chair in front of the other, looking perplexed:

Quote:
Ted:
You know, I never thought I'd see it come to this. That son of a bitch is coming after us.
Quote:
Josh the Security Guard
Whaddya mean you didn't think it was coming? Don't act now that you're having some sort of moment of clarity or something like that Mr. Turner. They have sent me letters for the past 5 months. Roberts, the Appeals court.... Private letters, facebook notes.. they've come from all angles Mr. Turner. YOU chose not to act accordingly.
Quote:
Ted:
Well what do you want out of me Son? An apology. A glass of milk and cookies? You want me to just blow this whole thing up just like that? You know if I come forward, we STILL lose it all..
Quote:

Josh the Security Guard:

Quote:
Ted:
I'm not saying I'm playing it slow... I'm just wanting us to play this smart. I know there is a way we can get out of this with you still making a **** load of money. I can still make a load... you can own the team, and we will beat this case. I've... we've.. worked too damn hard for this just for somebody to come up out of nowhere and try to take it back.
Quote:
Josh the Security Guard
That's all I want Ted...
Quote:
Ted:
What's that
Quote:
Josh the Security Guard
I want to know things. I want to know what you know. Understand what you understand. I want to have that reassurance. That faith when I step in the court room... that I'm not stepping in a lions den, but a place where we will have a gameplan. As it stands right now, I'm getting sued. I don't even know who the hell is coming after me.
It's unnerving to get punched in the dark.

Quote:
Ted
That's all? You want to know who's coming after you... I can tell you who this guy is if that's all you want.
Josh the Security Guard actually implied that he wanted to know more legal strategies and planning, but Ted had already started his clever plot device story of who Walily Casillas-Thomas was....

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-30-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #60
MVP

The Powers That Be

In the old days of Atlanta there was a...um a, structure of order you could say within the city. A collection of power and old money. Now when that old money started to dry up and fade away that was new money and the industrial titans of the 70s chance to pour into the city. I was one of those self made men. I created Turner Broadcasting and made millions.

The old money that remained didn't like this, they couldn't stand the fact that there were others like me. People who once weren't fit to eat at the dinnertable with them, now ordering better glasses of wine. Living in far more luxiourious houses, and making old money obsolete. Needless to say Josh, there were clashes every other month. Atlanta was falling apart at the top because we were too damn stubborn to make it work.

Walily Casillas Thomas was an innovator. He created the Powers that Be of Atlanta.

He argued, why have a pissing contest between ourselves when we could instead utilize our monies, our influence, our many different strengths and control so..so much more.

He was such a diplomat too! Hah... the foresight to bridge old and new. Senile and young. WE. CONTROLLED.ATLANTA. Hell.. all of Georgia at one point. He found a way to bring us together. And as a result we began to become a bit too powerful.

It all ran through us... you wanted a favor, you talked to Walily. You wanted to own a piece of land, it went through us. If you so much as opened a lemonade stand on the corner and didn't run it through the Powers that Be, you were a target. And you were quickly dealt with.

I'm ashamed to say that I was a part of this. Sure it netted me even more money. And through control of TBS and CNN I had such a high stake in this alliance. But once I lost it all... I see how quickly they turned on me. How quickly they forgot all that was promised. The only reason they want the Braves back now after we picked them up from dead is because they are now in the prime of their sucess. Which means their influence is at it's peak.

And as you know firsthand Josh, they will kill to meet their goals. They are a ruthless bunch. They can not be taken lightly.. that is why I ask you to go through with this trial on my behalf. It really is for the greater good son if you want us to come out of this true winners and not men who have to fear for their lives the rest of their days.

So who's coming after you? It's the Powers that Be. I have no doubt of this. You can single out Walily Casillas-Thomas if you want, or you can try to pick each one of them out trying to figure out the others. But now that you know they are coming, you should use this as motivation to trust me more than you ever have before. I know how they think because... well I was them. You have just got to trust me on this one son and do as I say without a whole f'n bunch of questions. ok?!

Last edited by lilbiggio; 04-30-2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #61
AC
Win the East

AC's Arena

OVR: 36
Great update

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #62
MVP

Hello Boys and Girls, maybe some friends or foes.

I'm excited about this update because well, clearly I've figured out some things and our temporary problem of "how in the hell are we going to capture audio from the games if there is no internet" situation now looks to be behind us. Not that I have internet or anything I'm still starving out here, but the silver lining is... we can move forward with some audio.

Damn Right!

I guess as the old saying goes, why purchase ketchup from the store when McDonalds gives it away for free.. or maybe, um it was about cows and milk but nevertheless.... we head back out to Colorado and Coors Field a place that we have had many heated yet classic battles throughout the years:

At this point we should really take the time to appreciate our rivarly with Colorado. We've met up with them twice in the postseason. Both sides have traded wins and losses, both in close games and blowouts. Yesterday's finale in Colorado showcased Jason Hammel completely ****ting on the Braves pitching staff with relatively two pitches. The fastball and the curveball

This game also spelled the end for Alex Gonzales at third base.

As eluded to earlier we've been throwing people out there seemingly every other day like a tossed salad. Replacing Chipper Jones has been quite the challenge. Only Chone Figgins did it well, and that time didn't count unfortunately. The tandem of Gonzalez-Conrad-Prado--Uggla-Freeman-Hinske all doing poor or misplaying balls has led to the promotion of one Tyler Pastornicky.

Why do these guys that play for the real life Braves keep popping up out of nowhere as secret studs? I'm sleeping homies on a lot of people I feel.

So... let's see, We're going to promote our best hitter at AAA to the show. No need for somebody batting .311-ish in front of crowds of 35 to 40 people. Get that man to the show with quickness Ted! He can't do any worse right?

Last edited by lilbiggio; 05-03-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #63
MVP

Now before we get into the juicy details of Tyler Pastornicky's debut. A name that I'm going to love spelling for the next decade possibly if I don't butcher it 2 or 3 initial times... IT is nearing the end of June.. and as promised, that magical time for another RANDOM GAME OF THE MONTH UPDATE brought to you by Williams Chicken of course.

Interleague play is upon us. And the second place White Sox headed out to the Bay to take on the second place place Giants of San Francisco. Now why was this a good game for a live look in you ask?

The box score... oh my damn... the box score... and Konerko? Going ham on Barry Zito in his home ball park for not one but two round trippers? It was rather demoralizing for the Giants as they saw first place slip back securely into the hands of the Rockies who just not a few moments ago made rather easy work of our hometown Braves.

Quote:
Konerko goes Yard- MLB Tonight LIVE Look In

Hawk gets giddy.. as Paulie goes yard for the first of two out in San Francisco for our Random Game of the Month... Play of the Game.

Last edited by lilbiggio; 05-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #64
MVP

Back home in Atlanta we had a great one going as Tommy Hanson looked to help us right the ship after the debacle out in Denver. Hanson after being "Justin Verlander" or Fernando Valenzuela with the 80s mullet good last year, has seemingly come back down to earth.

But not today.. he was the GOOD Tommy Hanson.

Unfortunately for him, our offense is still sitting on ice cubes. Sometimes your ballclub hits these lulls where everything is going right, and then it just hit the fan for a few weeks. And then there are those times where you go months on end with alternating streaks of never being good all at the same time. We're fighting hard to not let it effect us.. but these games are getting difficult as hell down the backside of the month of June.

So lets set the stage, we've left countless amount of men on base. Hanson kept us in it as long as he could. We get to the 9th. No grapes. Heyward strikes out looking in the 10th. The 12th, Freeman and Uggla whiff. The 14th? We get down but scrap a run in the bottom frame. It was like a well played tennis match, except you can take out the adjective "well played".

Quote:
Dan Uggla Late Inning Heroics

The 15th inning...after both teams offenses showed they had no desire to win it, and instead ruin their bullpens for the rest of the week... well Dan Uggla would step up to the batter's box:

Yes sir Dan Uggla goes deep for the game winner. his second of the game. What have we told you time and time again. Left hand pitcher on the mound. Dan Ug at the plate? DON'T THROW HIM A STRIKE BECAUSE HE GONE KILL IT!

Last edited by lilbiggio; 05-03-2012 at 11:45 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »