Home

Ain't No Laughing Matter: The Story Of Rusty Traylor

This is a discussion on Ain't No Laughing Matter: The Story Of Rusty Traylor within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

OVR: 0
Ain't No Laughing Matter: The Story Of Rusty Traylor

Introduction

I just picked up MLB 12 The Show yesterday, and by God I absolutely love it. It's the first baseball game I've played since MVP 2005, so it's been a long time. It's deep, it's fulfilling, challenging, and it's sparked a revival in me to do a dynasty-instead of my usually franchising though I'm going to step into the major leagues as a RTTS player.

This won't be the usually dynasty though with just stats and little story-I love story, I like plot, so doing a dynasty without one wouldn't be right. Expect to find a dynasty that puts story and stats at equal measure, with the story of our hero Rusty Traylor sometimes taking precedence over the stats.

As always, I welcome any and all comments, good, bad, or ugly. I want to make this as good as it can be so all feedback is welcome.

First write up will be up in a little bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Re: Ain't No Laughing Matter: The Story Of Rusty Traylor

There was a time in America where little boys wanted to play one thing and one thing only; baseball. It was America's past time, the national sport, the epitome of a country. Baseball represented everything that America liked; capitalism, strategy, spectacular moments, impressive talent, and winning.

But baseball is no longer America's sport; that mantle was passed on many years ago to football and with it so has some of the game's shine. It isn't what it once was for a lot of people.

The steroid era has stained baseball for this generation; baseball is now a second sport to football, some may even argue a third sport behind basketball. Baseball is for the "hardcore" and can no longer be something the "casual" fan can enjoy.

This isn't a story about baseball's woes though, but rather a story about a little boy who decided, against all advice, to choose his passion-baseball-over the traditional path of football. This is the story of a little boy who was good at just about every sport he played but two, baseball and football, would be the one's he was best at.

He had an arm. That much was clear from the first day of little league. He had the mental and physical toughness to excel at both sports. He had the intelligence, as his grades proved, and he had the determination as his hours of practice showed.

He also had a scholarship to South Carolina to play quarterback for legendary head coach Steve Spurrier. Football was something he liked, but he didn't love it. At least not as much as everyone in his family did, especially his father.

Hid dad had played running back in high school before an injury cut short his career. His father had been pushing him, since a little kid, to be the football player that he never could. His father didn't mind baseball, but he didn't love it. It wasn't his game.

It was Rusty Traylor's game though. A game he loved dearly, a game he watched, researched, and drank religiously. People say baseball is an obsession and it's not far off from the truth. Rusty was good, but raw. He had scholarship offers in baseball as well but he didn't want to go to college.

He wanted to play baseball and the fastest way to do that was to get drafted and go to the minors. So, against his father's wishes, he entered himself in the draft.

That didn't go over well with the family but Rusty's move paid off. He was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the first round and immediately became an asset for the club. He knew though that merely being an asset wasn't going to be good enough for him.

He grew up admiring Greg Maddux and Randy Johnson, two pitchers with very distinct styles. He wanted to be a starting pitcher in the big leagues and he wanted it to be sooner rather than later.

But the life of a player isn't what it seems on the field. A guy can throw a good game on the field and be hammered off it with this little thing called life...

This is the story of Rusty Traylor and though he has a funny name, it ain't no laughing matter....
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #3
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Episode 1: Reporting for Duty

Richmond, Virgina

March 29th, 2012

Rusty Traylor, all 6 foot 4 inches of him, felt like the smallest guy in the clubhouse. Not because he had had a poor spring training; far from it. His spring training with the Flying Squirrels had been a huge success and he had found himself a spot in the starting rotation, at the age of 18. Straight from high school to a minor league starter...what a way to begin a baseball career. He wasn't feeling small because of that.

He was feeling small because of the email he got...from his dad.

Things between the two men had not been easy since Rusty got drafted; going against his father's wishes was bound to cause some friction but Rusty hadn't anticipated the sheer level of dislike his father would have for the decision.

Rusty had apologized every way he knew how for entering the draft without his father's blessing but Bobby Traylor was known for his legendary levels of stubbornness. The old man wasn't going to let Rusty off the hook that easily.

He also wasn't going to come see his first start and that hurt damn near the most.

He sighed, his broad shoulders slumping as he turned off his smartphone and leaned back against his locker. That scholarship from South Carolina to play quarterback ruined everything. Up until that point Rusty was sure he could sell his father on the major league dream.

After that...his dad was focused on South Carolina like a hound on a coon; there was no stopping the elder Traylor from trying every which way to convince Rusty to accept that scholarship.

"Missing home?" A chipper voice called.

Rusty gathered himself, trying to put on his best face, and turned to see his catcher, Johnny Monell. The two had formed a bond over spring training and Johnny didn't really begrudge Rusty like the other pitchers on the roster. Some of those other pitchers on the roster had been in the minors longer than Rusty had been in high school.

"You could say that," Rusty responded with a forced smirk.

"Eh, you'll get used to it Traylor..." Johnny took out a piece of gum and began chewing it, big smacks echoing in the rather empty locker area. "You excited about the beginning of ball?"

He nodded. "I can't wait to get on the field...it's going to be something else."

"Cocky son-bitch, aren't you?" Johnny shook his head with a smirk. "This ain't high school...you won't be pitching to cheerleaders anymore."

Rusty smiled at the thought. There were some pretty damned good looking cheerleaders in high school he would have loved to pitch too...but he never really had the time with all the stuff he was doing. "That's an...interesting thought," he admitted with amusement.

Johnny winked at him and patted him on the shoulder. "Get packed, kid. We got a long road trip ahead." He left at a brisk pace and once again Rusty was alone.

He looked back at his locker, staring for a brief moment at the picture of him and his father.

If he didn't want to come to game, fine. Rusty would just pitch better without him anyway. With a defiant slam of his locker door, Rusty strolled out of the locker area.

His first start would be against the Bowie Baysox on 4-9-2012. If his family wasn't going to be there to support him, that was fine...he had made it through spring training without them, he could make it through the season too.

At least, he thought he could...
Old 06-04-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Episode 2: Not As Easy As It Looks

At The Team Hotel...

April 9th, 2012

"You sucked it out there, Tractor."

Rusty bit his lip but refused to be baited into this. He had a bad game, he knew that. He didn't need another pitcher reminding him. Especially this guy.

Justin Fitzgerald, the scrawny pitcher from Massachusetts. The two weren't real cordial with one another and this guy called Rusty "Tractor", a nickname he hated. Fitz thought it was funny. It must have been in college where he got his sense of humor

The guy had played ball in college for four years before getting drafted. He had been stuck in the minors for four years now and the 26 year old thought of himself as high and mighty because he had a college education.

He was also a class-A dick. Fitz had been traded to the Giants prior to spring training and more than that, had been a constant reminder to Rusty about how he "was too raw" to be here.

Fitz had also taken Rusty's number, 31; Rusty wore it to honor his favorite player Greg Maddux but Fitz, citing seniority, took the number instead.

And now here he was, telling him how badly he sucked it?

"Get it through your Southern fried skull...you ain't ready for this." Fitz, a smug look on his face, pointed at Rusty. "Look at the box score. I've seen a cripple pitch better than what you did."

Rusty, box score firmly in his mind, couldn't help but silently agree. He had screwed the pooch pretty bad in his first start. 5 innings pitched, 8 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned runs, and an ERA of 5.40. He wasn't good, he knew that.

But he didn't need Fitz rubbing it in his face. Standing to his full 6'4 height, dwarfing Fitz by a good three inches, Rusty jammed his finger into Fitz's chest. "I'll make it to the majors before you do...that's a fact."

Fitz's face went dark. "Yeah...we'll see about that." He stepped back and went back to his room.

Rusty sat back down on the curve, staring out into the night. He came to the hotel parking lot to relax, clear his head...but low and behold he found Fitz out here drinking a few beers.

The two had issues but they both enjoyed some peace and quiet once in awhile.

Staring out into the dark night, Rusty's mind drifted to his father. His mind had been doing that a lot over the last few days, especially yesterday when his mother called and told him she couldn't convince his father to come either. She wasn't going to drive up alone, she was deftly afraid of driving on the interstates...it's why any roadtrips as a kid had to be taken with his father behind the wheel.

His mind had been clouded by all the crap going on back at home.

"Damn him," he mumbled as he kicked some rocks.

"That you, kid?" Johnny called.

Rusty didn't look back, just kept staring ahead. "What, you wanna rag on me too?"

Johnny plunked down on the curb beside him and scoffed. "Hell know, I heard the earful Fitz was giving you. He pretty much said it all."

Rusty glared at him. "You agree with that dick?"

"This once, yes...you screwed up big time out there. What's up? I know you're better than that **** you threw. So what's on your mind?"

"How do you know something's on my mind?" Rusty asked defensively.

"I'm a catcher...I know when pitcher's are pitching with a clear head or, like you, pitching with their head somewhere else," Johnny responded as he took out a piece of gum. He offered it to Rusty.

Reluctantly, Rusty took it...he hated bubblegum. He preferred jawbreakers, but he'd make an exception for now. "You really want to hear about it?"

"Hell yeah," Johnny said enthusiastically. "Let her rip."

Rusty sighed. "Well..."
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Episode 3: Winning

Locker Room

April 25th, 2012

He held the ball in his hand, marveling at how it felt. Not how the ball felt but how IT felt...the feeling of winning his first game as a pitcher. Admittedly, it was only the minor leagues but after he got worked that first game...well, he was glad he did better this time.

He did a lot better in fact. He pitched a shutout, all 9 innings of it. Only allowed 3 hits, one walk, and he struck out six guys. Still had an ERA of 3.00 but compared to last game it was a huge improvement.

"Not bad kid," Johnny said with a wink as he finished taking off his gear. "Got your first win in the minors."

He smiled. "Yeah...my first win..." It felt good...but not nearly as good as he imagined it would.

Not nearly as good as if his parents were here to see it.

Johnny picked up the undercutting feeling and waved it off. "You're old man will come around. Trust me, they all do eventually."

Rusty looked up, his blue eyes intently focused on Johnny. "You think so? The two of us have never had it out this long before...he won't talk to me at all. I have to relay messages through my mother for Christ sake."

Johnny wagged a sarcastic finger. "You're a Baptist, kid, don't be saying that."

"Not the point."

"I get the point," Johnny said as he popped a piece of gum in his mouth, "and it's pretty basic. You miss your daddy...well, tough cookies. He wants to stay home, he can stay home." He shut his locker and leaned against it. "He missed a pretty good performance."

Rusty shrugged, ignoring the compliment. "I can do better."

"Oh, I know it...but what you did there, tonight...that was good. Not great, but good." Johnny leaned off his locker and stretched. "You want to get a beer? I'm dying of thirst."

Rusty sheepishly grinned. "Only 18, remember."

Johnny snapped his fingers. "Damn...well, how about a milkshake?"

With a chuckle Rusty nodded and the two walked out of the locker room.

He may not have his parents there to cheer him on, but at least he had a friend in Johnny.

For now that would have to suffice.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2012, 11:53 PM   #6
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Episode 4: Success Spawns Hatred

Offices Of Herb Roe

June 4th, 2012

He slammed the phone down and sighed in anger. His client was being denied a promotion-again. This, despite the club promising to recognize the man's talent. Well, man was a bit strong.

Rusty Traylor was only 18 but the kid was pitching strong. He was pitching so strong in fact that the Double-A teams he was going against just couldn't solve him. After that first shaky outing, Rusty had really righted himself.

Herb looked down at the notes in front of him one more time, his mind rummaging through the data to focus on the important things to see if he could come up with a new strategy dealing with the club.

4-30-2012 Richmond vs Bowie

Traylor goes 9 innings, allows only 5 hits, no runs or earned runs, walks 1, and strikes out 6. Kid finishes with a 2.28 ERA and gets the win. Richmond wins 6-0.

5-5-2012 Richmond at Altoona

The team's lost four straight since the last time the kid has pitched; the needed life and he gave it to them. Kid gives them a good 7 innings, allows 6 hits, no runs or earned runs, walks 2, and strikes out 8. He had his fastball working all game, baffling the batters. Kid finishes with a 1.80 ERA, gets the win. Richmond wins 3-0

5-21-2012 Richmond at Bowie

Team's been doing pretty well since Rusty last pitched and they gave him plenty of offense in this one. Pitching with a lead, kid took a few risks he probably shouldn't have but he still gets in a good game. Rusty pitched 8 innings, allowed 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, walks no one, and strikes out 3. He finishes up with a 1.73 ERA as Richmond smokes Bowie 10-4.

5-30-2012 Richmond at Altoona

Rusty gets out there with a 3 run lead and the kid starts letting it fly; it works for a little while but by the third inning, Altoona is starting to figure things out. Still, Rusty manages to put together a solid 6 innings, allowing 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, walking 2, and striking out 5. Despite the par-like outing he still earned a 1.69 ERA and Richmond won 4-3.

Scribbled at the bottom, with a circle around it was Herb's final note:

Traylor's record 6-1; the kid needs to move up before he gets too comfortable.

Herb sighed. His notes were damning; the confirmed everything that his eyes, as a former scout, told him; this kid was good. Too good to be pissing around in Double-A. He needed to be moved up.

But, what his eyes told him as a former scout, his abilities as an agent couldn't get done. He had been begging the team to move Rusty up but they were steadfast in their commitment to some other guys in Triple-A whom they had invested a lot of time in.

Well, he understood that...but he didn't much care for it.

He leaned back in his chair as his door burst open. In walked the young secretary, Gloria Green. The fiery, red headed woman was good in looks as well as mind. Herb had hired her for the resume, not the looks; those were a bonus in his mind.

He was 57. He was a little old to be fooling around with someone so young. His heart couldn't take it anyway.

"Gloria, damn it, I told you to knock," he grumbled as he took out a cigarette. Bad habits he developed a few decades ago just couldn't be broken, even with all the new millennium crap.

She paid him no mind as she set some files on his desk. "Mr. Roe, there's a call on line one for you; it's about Mr. Traylor."

He took the unlit cigarette out of his mouth, placed it on his desk, and rolled his eyes. Rusty was a good kid; but he was young. He wasn't demanding but he was a bit naive in some areas. "He probably nicked a fellow pitcher's car," he said jokingly.

Gloria shot him an unamused look as she walked out of the office. She was a serious secretary.

But still damned good to look at.

He picked up the phone and put it to his ear. "Roe here..."

What he heard next jacked up his heart rate pretty high. "What?!"

Richmond Training Facility

The ice on his shoulder did little to alleviate the pain. But it wasn't the pain that was on his mind. It was Justin Fitzgerald.

What a bastard. Rusty hopped off the trainer table and began to pace. It was practice and Rusty had finished early; walking off the field with Johnny he was riding high. He had a good practice and he had won six games straight.

But Fitz was damned jealous of it. He was being threatened with getting the bullpen treatment and he was pressing his last few games, going 1-2. While Rusty had been walking off the field, Fitz threw a pitch that landed smack into Rusty's throwing shoulder. Hurt like hell.

What hurt worse was Fitz getting away with it, selling it like it was an accident; he claimed it was a "wild pitch" and the coaches believed him. Johnny didn't. Rusty sure as hell didn't. But now he was going to miss time...the question was how much?

The trainer, Burt Wells, came in, his large mustache twitching slightly. "We're gonna run some tests on you in a bit...but our initial evaluation is that you'll miss a few days, probably a week." He came over and checked Rusty's shoulder. "That's gonna leave a knot."

Rusty sighed in relief. It wasn't serious it seemed. "Who's gonna pitch my next start?"

Burt's mustache went limp-a sure sign Rusty wasn't going to like the answer. "On such short notice...coaches are considering Fitz. Seems they don't want to put the other guys out there on short rest."

Rusty glared at the wall. He was gonna remember this. He was going to remember this for a long time.

Fitz had planned it all.

Rusty didn't know what he was going to do...his mind was swimming in anger. He knew one thing though...Fitz wouldn't like it; not one bit.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Designated Red Shirt

trekfan's Arena

Episode 5: Not Quite As Planned...

Rusty's Apartment

June 8th, 2012

Rusty sat on his couch, his eyes firmly glued to his laptop's screen. He was pouring over the stats from the team's last game. Richmond won, behind a good pitching performance from Fitz.

That's what worried him. This was Fitz's second start since Rusty got injured and he was pitching this one on short rest; despite that he guided the team to a nice win with 7 innings of good pitching.

It didn't sit well with Rusty that Fitz was benefiting from his "wild pitch." Rusty refused to believe that it was unintentional but there was little he could do about it. He had spoken to his agent hoping to get some sort of investigation into this but Herb had told him straight up no one on the team cared that much.

So, here he was, not with the team and stuck in Richmond until his shoulder healed up. It was healing mighty slow too.

Frustrated, he shut his laptop and leaned back on the couch. He should be out there with the team...he should have been the go to guy on short rest, not Fitz. This whole thing was a mess.

His cell rang and Rusty saw it was from his parent's house. "Home," is what the phone read.

Home. He missed it...now more than ever. He put the phone to his ear and answered it.

"Hello?"

There was silence on the other end of the phone for a brief moment. "Son."

It was his father. Rusty reflexively sat up straight, his attention fully on the conversation at hand. "Dad," he said hesitantly. He wasn't sure why his father was calling...the two hadn't spoken like this in months. It had been that cold between them.

There was an audible clearing of the throat on the other end of the line and this his father spoke again. "Rusty...your mother told me about your injury...just wanted to call...see how things were."

"They're...okay, I guess," Rusty said confused. He'd been waiting for months to talk to his dad and now his mind was going blank.

"Well...that's...all right." There was another pause at the end of the line, this time longer than the last. "Son...once you get healed up...your mother and I would like to come to your next home game...the next one you're starting that is."

Rusty beamed. "Really? Seriously?" He asked excited. He couldn't believe it. Johnny had been right, his dad did come around finally.

"I wouldn't have said it if I didn't mean it," the elder Traylor grumbled.

"Well...I'll let you guys know. I'll call or email you, okay?"

"That'll be fine. Here's your mother, she has something she wants to tell you."

There was a silent handoff between the two and Rusty's mom came on the line. "Rusty, do you remember Jessica Dodd?"

Rusty's mind flew back in time. Jessica Dodd had been a girl on who went to the local private school...very smart though she always seemed so small to him. She was on 5'2 or something like that. They had gone to church together for some years, were even in the children's choir before that. She was a year younger than him too if he remembered right.

"Uh...sure, I remember her. What about it?" He asked curiously.

"She's graduated from her school early, such a smart young lady, and she's moving up to Richmond as she goes to college there. Her mother's asked me if I could put her in touch with anyone in the area, help get her settled in and such. I thought you'd be perfect for the job."

Rusty winced. Another one of his mother's attempts at hooking him up with a girl. "Mom, I really don't have time..."

"You're injured, aren't you? You're certainly not spending all day rehabbing, are you?" His mother asked, her tone somewhat accusatory.

He sighed. He did have a bit of extra time on his hands. "Did Mrs. Dodd really ask this as a favor or are you just trying to set me up?"

"Rusty Travis Traylor, don't imply I'm a liar," his mother shot back, clearly getting riled up over the not so subtle accusation. "She did indeed to ask me and I did indeed volunteer you. Jessica will arrive on the campus of the University of Richmond on Monday; she's going to move in over the summer, get settled, and get ready for fall classes. She's going to need some help moving things so be a gentlemen and help her, understand me?"

Rusty rolled his eyes. "Understood."

"Good. Now, get some rest and heal up. We love you."

"Love you too, bye."

"Bye-bye."

Disdainfully, Rusty put his phone back on the table. Even in Virginia his mother could still find ways to volunteer him for something he didn't want to do.

When he made it to the majors, he was going to hire someone else to do his mother's "volunteer" work.

Yet another thing Fitz's wild pitch had contributed to. Now, not only was he injured, he was also going to play moving man.

"Great," he mumbled to the empty room.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9

Liking the storyline you have here so far, good luck making it to the majors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »