Home

Breaking the Curse: A Pittsburgh Pirates Dynasty

This is a discussion on Breaking the Curse: A Pittsburgh Pirates Dynasty within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Banned

mpejkrm's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Breaking the Curse: A Pittsburgh Pirates Dynasty

You may post!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

This should be fun. Fantastic banner in the opening post! You have some nice skills (Photoshop?).

I love the choice of the Pirates as well. I'm a Cardinals fan, but I'm also a fan of baseball and good stories. I'm one of those guys that roots for the underdog if my team can't win and the Pirates certainly fit that description.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Banned

mpejkrm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
This should be fun. Fantastic banner in the opening post! You have some nice skills (Photoshop?).

I love the choice of the Pirates as well. I'm a Cardinals fan, but I'm also a fan of baseball and good stories. I'm one of those guys that roots for the underdog if my team can't win and the Pirates certainly fit that description.

Good luck!
Thanks for the compliment, but I didn't make the wonderful banner! Credit goes to my boy Brady at Digital Sports Scene. I can't photo edit for my life, haha.

Thanks for the compliment though, thanks for following!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #12
MVP

GR5Noles's Arena

OVR: 2

good luck with the Bucks. McCutchen is quickly becoming one of the best players in the league, so having him is gonna be a luxury
Old 03-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #13
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

McCutchen is going to be a beast! Following.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

Definitely following, the bucs don't have any real key pieces apart from cutch so this should be interesting.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:23 PM   #15
Banned

mpejkrm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR5Noles
good luck with the Bucks. McCutchen is quickly becoming one of the best players in the league, so having him is gonna be a luxury
Thanks, McCutchen is indeed a fantastic player. I like him a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrmlb
McCutchen is going to be a beast! Following.
Thanks! Hoping to do a lot with Cutch this season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenarago
Definitely following, the bucs don't have any real key pieces apart from cutch so this should be interesting.
Thanks, although I would say Walker and Pedro are big players to build on as well. Along with Cole and Taillon when they come up, we have a really dangerous farm system.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Banned

mpejkrm's Arena

Pittsburgh Pirates 2013 Roster Preview: Starting Pitchers

Last season, the Pirates had nine different starters start at least one game for the Buccos. The Pirates as a team had a 3.91 ERA, but a lot of that came from the elite bullpen. Pirates GM Neal Huntington realized that starting pitching was a need, and he addressed during the season in 2012, releasing Erik Bedard and trading for Astros ace Wandy Rodriguez. This offseason, Huntington added former Twins southpaw Francisco Liriano to the mix, hoping he can return to the form that made him a strong pitcher several years ago. The Pirates are leaning on ace A.J. Burnett this season after a breakout year in 2012, where he posted a 3.51 ERA and had 16 wins after coming over in the offseason for almost nothing from the Yankees.

Projected Starting Rotation

A.J. Burnett, RHP
Age 36
2012 stats: 16-10, 3.51 ERA, 180 K

After several disappointing seasons in New York with the Yankees following a strong few seasons in Toronto, Burnett was acquired by the Pirates in the 2011 offseason for two marginal minor league outfielders. Burnett, getting a fresh start, would also reunite with catcher Rod Barajas, with whom he was very successful in Toronto in 2008. Even without Barajas behind the plate, Burnett was a star in his first season in Pittsburgh, posting a 3.51 ERA and 180 strikeouts in over 200 innings for the first time since 2008 with the Yankees. Even after Barajas left for free agency this winter, new backstop Russell Martin, who was Burnett's teammate in New York, is expected to lead Burnett to another successful season in Pittsburgh -- only this time he will start with high expectations.

Wandy Rodriguez, LHP
Age 34
2012 stats: 12-13, 3.76 ERA, 139 K

The Houston Astros' "ace" for many years, the Pirates acquired Rodriguez for prospects Robbie Grossman, Rudy Owens, and Colton Cain, of which only Grossman is seen as a true potential impact major league player. Rodriguez was expected to make an impact in the Bucs' playoff chase, and while he wasn't quite the player they expected, he is still a legitimate #1 option for the Pirates and will be a big improvement over last year's #2 starter Erik Bedard. Finally playing for a team with playoff aspirations, Rodriguez should make a big impact in the clubhouse on a younger squad.

Francisco Liriano, LHP
Age 29
2012 stats: 6-12, 5.34 ERA, 167 K

Liriano joins the Buccos from free agency after a disappointing 2012 season in which he was traded midway through, from the Minnesota Twins to the Chicago White Sox. Liriano was set to earn around $14 million, but after an issue in his physical the Pirates restructured his deal to be worth about $7 million. Regardless, Liriano will play the important role of the best southpaw in the Pirates’ rotation, and he can always move to the bullpen if need be.

James McDonald, RHP
Age 28
2012 stats: 12-8, 4.21 ERA, 151 K

Last year, there were two James McDonalds for Pittsburgh. In the first half of the season, McDonald pitched like an All-Star. In the second half of the season, McDonald pitched so poorly his season ERA ended up over 4 and he lost his spot in the rotation late in the season. Perhaps it was a lack of confidence from his All-Star snub? Who knows. The Pirates are expecting big things out of McDonald this season, and hope for him to pitch like he did in the first half all season long in 2013. If he does, the Pirates could surprise people.

Jeff Karstens, RHP
Age 30
2012 stats: 5-4, 3.97 ERA, 66 K

Pittsburgh originally cut ties with Karstens early in the offseason, but General Manager Neal Huntington opted to bring to him back after a successful 2012 campaign between the rotation and bullpen. With Pittsburgh’s pitching depth, Karstens was needed on a one-year deal at a low cost. Karstens should start the season as the Pirates fifth starter, although he does have competition. If needed, Karstens can pitch long relief, as he did during parts of last season.

On the Cusp

Charlie Morton, AAA: Morton returns this year from Tommy John surgery, and will start in Triple-A with a shot at cracking the big league roster.

Kyle McPherson, AAA: The 25-year-old right-hander pitched to a 2.73 ERA with 21 strikeouts in a September call-up last season, and will likely get another shot at the bigs if an injury strikes.

Jeff Locke, AAA: Locke has a shot to be the next southpaw in the Pirates rotation. Locke struggled in his September call-up, posting a 5.50 ERA and 1-3 record before being moved to the bullpen.

Vin Mazzaro, AAA: The right-hander was acquired this offseason along with Clint Robinson for two minor league pitchers, and has a shot at cracking the roster in a case of injury. He had a 5.73 ERA in limited big-league action last year.

Jeanmar Gomez, AAA: Signed to a minor league contract this offseason, Gomez is next in line for a call-up after posting a 5.96 ERA and 5-8 record for the Indians last season.

Gerrit Cole, AA: The #1 pick in the 2011 draft, Cole got a quick taste of AAA last year but will start back in AA. He will definitely reach AAA at some time this season, and may even reach the Majors.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »