Home

The McGovern Manifesto: Fountains, BBQ and Baseball

This is a discussion on The McGovern Manifesto: Fountains, BBQ and Baseball within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: The McGovern Manifesto: Fountains, BBQ and Baseball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyornot0407
Saw this pop up on tapatalk and was like !!!

Yessssssss!
Thanks dude! Looking forward to seeing how your Red Sox Dynasty plays out. Looks good so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrmlb
This is going to be awesome! Following.
Thanks! I'm lovin' what you've done so far with the Marlins. Olt is gonna be great for you guys. He's semi-versatile too so that should be a plus for you guys moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaysfan65
Once again, couldn't agree more...
Thanks for following dude! Are you still going with the Marlins this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLamm16
Yessss so happy you picked the Royals!

Love everything about them from George Brett (although a "Yankee killer") to Billy Butler! Butlers one of my favorite players to date, great hitter and a doubles machine dude can really rake.

Interested to see which way you take this team, a lot of good players need just a few more additions to get over the top IMO
Glad to hear it! I never got to see George Brett play but I've heard the stories and seen footage from the games. Despite the fact that George is our only hall of famer, Bo Jackson actually is the popular one here. I like Butler too, he just needs to hit the weights to turn those doubles into homeruns which I think will make him a star... can't believe the Royals tried to bring him up as an outfielder...

We're really close and we're about 1 major addition away from getting into contention. We just need to solve either 2nd or Right Field and get more production from a least one of those to push us to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbiggio
That was a pretty boss backstory right there... I actually was tempted to check wikipedia to see when real meets fiction because so much of it sounds like it happened. I rarely get motivated to do that off of backstories since most of them are pretty obvious so good job on that front.
Thanks dude! I'm very familiar with the Royals Organization so hopefully it'll show this season.

Lookin' forward to seeing what Teddy Turners got in store for this season!

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #10
MVP

Bluejaysfan65's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals19
Thanks for following dude! Are you still going with the Marlins this year?
Yeah. I'm doing a Jays one and a Marlins one (both on MLB 12 The Show since I don't have MLB 13 The Show ). Let's see what McGovern has in store this year!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals19
Thanks! I'm lovin' what you've done so far with the Marlins. Olt is gonna be great for you guys. He's semi-versatile too so that should be a plus for you guys moving forward.
Thanks dude. Hopefully we can see some success for the Marlins . Olt is a really nice player to have in any lineup, but he has some issues with his strikeouts. I'll have to watch out for that. However, is glove has gold glove potential, so it should be interesting too see how he turns out.However, However I saw he was a pretty productive player in your last franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM   #12
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

Just letting you know I'll definitely be following. I like the choice of Royals (I sympathize considering I'm taking on the Astros as a project).

I may not be a big "comment" guy on your updates, but I'll deifnitely give your updates a "like" so you know I'm checking in.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Just letting you know I'll definitely be following. I like the choice of Royals (I sympathize considering I'm taking on the Astros as a project).

I may not be a big "comment" guy on your updates, but I'll deifnitely give your updates a "like" so you know I'm checking in.
Haha thanks dude, glad to hear it.

I've heard that sound 3 times... once was Babe Ruth, the second was Josh Gibson, and the third was Bo Jackson- Buck O'Neil

Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #14
Banned

mpejkrm's Arena

OVR: 5

Looking forward to this!
Old 03-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
MVP

Now as many are aware, the Kansas City Royals made a massive splash during the offseason. They sent Wil Myers, Jake Odorizzi, Mike Montgomery and Patrick Leonard to Tampa for Big Game James and Wade Davis...

Let's start out by saying the initial fanbase reaction was to get the torches, grab the pitchforks and purge Kauffman stadium. In other words, it didn't go well. Let's be honest, the standard school of thought here in KC was to acquire nothing less than Matt Moore for Wil Myers. Myers was a huge hit here when he took the field at the Futures Game, so much that the massive crowd gave him a standing ovation.

Of course what wasn't there to like?

Take a look at his resume:

Quote:
3rd Round Draft Pick in 2009
#1 Prospect in the Pioneer League- 2009
#5 Arizona Fall League Prospect- 2011
Rising Stars Game Participant- 2011
#3 Prospect Texas League- 2012
#1 Prospect PCL League- 2012
AAA All Star- 2012
Futures Game Starter- 2012
Royals Minor League hitter of the year-2012
USA Today Minor League Player of the year-2012
Baseball America Player of The Year-2012
Yeah... Extremely impressive. You can see why fans were angered by his departure... oh and he owned the coveted title of "The successor to Frenchy". The trading of Myers resulted in another year of Frenchy in right that many people weren't too thrilled about.

Now here's the thing, the Royals weren't getting any younger and the team wasn't getting any cheaper... For whatever reason the Royals haven't been able to develop good pitching talent so a trade of this magnitude was necessary in order for them to move into the realm of competitiveness.

If that doesn't suit your fancy, then maybe this will...

When Dayton Moore called Andrew Friedman about Big Game James, they agreed on the minor players but for the big piece, Friedman gave Dayton 2 choices. Wil Myers or Salvador Perez... Really it was a pick your poison type thing, do you trade the next Yadier Molina with more pop who's locked up for 7 years? Or do you trade the Minor League player of the year who could be the next superstar to play the game of baseball, but has never played a day of ball at the big league level?

Easy, you trade Myers. He will be sorely missed and it really saddened me when he was traded and if we could have him back while at least keeping Shields, then I would. However, I don't know if we could do that, throw Myers back onto the Royals and roll with it... I just don't know at this point. Can we really alter this sort of Franchise defining trade? Perhaps parting with John Lamb and more instead of Myers? Boy this is making my head spin...

If you want more info on Myers, then you should read this excellent biography of him that the guys at Pine Tar Press came up with. It really lets you inside the mind of Myers and how he rose from hometown hero to one of baseball's best prospects.

The Wil Myers Story

Last edited by royals19; 03-20-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #16
Rookie

TomahawkChop's Arena

OVR: 3

Great start, good luck with this.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »