Home

The "Golden Anniversary" second coming of the Big Red Machine

This is a discussion on The "Golden Anniversary" second coming of the Big Red Machine within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 AM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: The "Golden Anniversary" second coming of the Big Red Machine

Big Red Machine is firing on all cyclinders for the first three games as they came out for the sweep. While the product of the field is a well oil machine, it looks that under the hood there might be some problems. Still fans want to hear the good stuff so lets start with the good news.

MLB Standings - Updated: Apr 5, 2013
NL CENTRALWLGBRSRA
Cubs30-176
Reds30-137
Brewers211.0118
Cardinals122.01012
Pirates033.0617

Cubs have started off fast, but most people aren't putting that much stock in them just let. Especially after the first series. Reds are off to a better start than most people think with the sweep, although the pitching staff has been exceptional in the first series against one of the, if not the best, lineups in the league. Cardinals and Pirates are under-performing, but some injuries has slowed them down (Both have lost at least 2 starters to their team).

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT BATTING: Reds have some power. 3, 4, 5, and 6 hitters all have at least a homerun in the first series. Everyone is over .200 except for Cozart (.100 1-10). Choo is the only player to attempt a stolen base so far which he was successful on. The walks to strikeout ration isn't that bad (2-12) but in reality it is .75 walks a game to 3 strikeouts. Still the 12 strikeouts is tied with Tampa Bay for the fewest in the legaue. Even worst is that the Reds's first walk was to Mat Latos. Also the Reds are not shy about taking one for the team as they have a combined 5 sacrifices in the first three games, and only once grounded into a double play. While some of the hitters are doing well, and the first series of the season isn't really much to go on. People are wondering with the injury to Ludwick if there will be a call up for a SS to hope to get more production out of the seventh spot.

WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT PITCHING: Only giving up four homeruns in a friendly hitter park, and against the best long ball batting team, which they are tied for fourteenth, the Reds are the stingiest team to hit against so far with their .165 BA. Even with that they have allowed 7 runs to be scored, which 6 were from homeruns. Still that isn't much to complain about since we are undefeated and Trout (hitless in 12 AB with 4 K's) and Hamilton (.083 BA 1-12 and only hit was a HR) were pretty much held in check.

Reds even with Cueto only striking out 3 batters in the first game are tied for twelfth in the league. Chapman has appeared in all three games, shocked he didn't get the win with a guy on base with two outs in the ninth for the third game, but he has been lights out as he struck out 3 of the 4 batters he has faced. The Reds have given up only one walk on the year which is where some problems arised.

PLAYER/MANAGER DUSTY BAKER: In the second game in the fifth inning there was two guys on base with only one out. The top of the order came up so Latos was looking at Trout first. Baker wanted Latos to walk him and take his chances with Aybar to hitting into a double play. Problem was that Aybar was the hottest hitter on the team (.333 BA). Latos would ignore the sign and pitch to Trout. He would strike him out, again Trout was hitless in the series. Latos would then agree to walk Aybar which Baker would come out to the mound for a discussion. Baker won the discussion and two pitches later the bases were loaded as he singled to right which Bruce would hold up the runner at third. Latos was okay with the matter as he would then get Pujols to fly out to deep center to save the inning. After the sixth inning at bat Latos was seen telling Baker he felt fatigue, but Baker sent him out for the seventh in which Latos wasn't on his game as he surrender two runs and lost command of his pitches. He would be pulled shortly after the inning.

Baker after the game:
Quote:
There was no hostility at all. You guys are playing this up for nothing. I felt better going at Aybar instead of Trout, since he can make you pay for it at any bat. In the end (Mat) was right and we got of the jam. As for the sixth inning we had a talk of what we wanted to do going forward, but he never mention about his arm being tired.
Latos after the game:
Quote:
Yes I don't know what they were thinking. I was feeling good and didn't think (Trout) could hit me. I wasn't aware he was hitless against us that point, but the first at bat I had him totally off-balance and felt I would continue that in the second bat. As for the sixth we were talking about what we wanted to do since they had their 2-3-4 hitters coming up. I did express that I felt I was losing some command, but as you saw no one was warming up. I didn't ask to be taken out I will never say that unless I am unable to pitch. I still felt fine just not 100%. Baker just told me to work the plate. I did, and one pitch eluded me and Trumbo made me pay. As for reports of me asking to be taken out is completely false. Then again I am a competitor and unless someone has hit two homerun's against me I want to go after them.
While everything seemed patched up questions are starting to arise on if Baker is fully in sync with this team. While they sit undefeated all is well right now with spirits high, but is this just a snowball right now just sitting on the edge of a cliff. In 160 games we will find out how this plays out.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 PM   #10
MVP

redsrulenc's Arena

OVR: 8

30 team control is where it's at if you want updated rosters during your franchise.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:04 AM   #11
Pro

Washington piles up hits, Reds score the runs

Washington Nationals at Cincinnati Reds
Apr 6, 2013123456789RHE
Washington (1-2)0000000000110
Cincinnati (3-0)10100000X251
W: Bronson Arroyo L: Jordan Zimmerman S: Aroldis Chapman
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSWASCIN
CIN1Votto sac fly to left. Choo scores.01
CIN3Choo sac fly to left. Mesoraco scores.02

- Cincinnati, OH

After opening series which seemed to show a lot of fans in the stands the ballpark tonight was only filled to 16% capacity in 36 degree weather. Reds are hoping fans will come out more when they face off against ace Strasburg as they close out the series with the Nationals.

Arroyo wouldn't seem to not have a handle on his accuracy this game. Not only that, but the ump was making the strike zone smaller for both pitchers so it was extra hard on Arroyo. While he did give up 7 hits through five innings he manage to get out of every inning alive.

The same couldn't be said for Zimmermann. He was on top of his command, and was confusing the batters. Despite giving up just 4 hits through six innings he did allow 2 runs in the first three innings. Both were eerily similar. First inning Choo got a base hit. Stole second on the third pitch. Fourth pitch would be moved over on a sac bunt by Phillips. Votto would come up and despite getting him to fly out it easy for Choo on third to score. In the third inning Mesoraco leaded off with a double. He would be moved over to third on a sac bunt again. This time it was by the pitcher though, and Choo would come up with a deep fly out to left for the second straight sac fly to score a run.

Ninth inning did get interesting. A base hit by the Nationals, a stolen base, and then a walk with just one out in the ninth. Chapman would be called in to get the final two outs which he would work a 3-0 count to the first batter. Two pitches later would get a harmless flyout to shallow right. Next he was back on track to get his fourth strikeout of the year, on six batters faced, as the Reds post the first shutout of the year.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
Pro

Reds lose another player, give rest to four starters and still cruise

Apr 6, 2013123456789RHE
Washington (1-3)0101000013112
Cincinnati (4-0)05000110X7110
W: Manny Parra L: Ross Detwiler
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSWASCIN
WAS2Espinosa doubled to left. Zimmerman scores. LaRoche to third.10
CIN2Solo two-run shot off the right field pole for 340 ft. Lutz scores. 12
CIN2Leake sacificed bunt as Izturis scores. Hanigan to second.13
CIN2Choo tripled to center. Hanigan scores.14
CIN2Hannahan grounds out to third. Choo scores.15
WAS4Espinosa grounded out to third. LaRoche scores.25
CIN6Lutz hits a 410 ft solo shot to left.26
CIN7Bruce hits a homerun just over the outstretched glove to right.27
WAS9Suzuki grounded out. Desmond scores. Espinosa goes to second.37

- Cincinnati, OH (68 degree weather, 18,203 attendance)

Both teams would collect hits, but just like the previous four games no one has seemed to link hits together for a score against the Reds as they continue to be unbeaten through five games.

The Reds would let Frazier, Phillips, Heisey, and Cozart have the day off against the fifth pitcher in the rotation for the Nationals. Again the inning that the away team scores the Reds would at least match that in the bottom half of the inning.

Both pitches seemed to be a little off their mark on control, while only one batter was walked in the game (Nationals), they both had six total strikeouts (3 each) in the game. Mike Leake got the start, but strained a muscle from running on a bunt, that he had to be pulled in the bottom of the fourth inning so he wasn't qualified to get the win. He should be able to pitch the next game and right now Baker still has him active.

Warm weather in Cincinnati finally got the bats going this game as their was 7 total doubles (3 from Reds), a triple (Reds), and 3 homeruns (all Reds). The bench players making their mark in the game as rookie Lutz who was called up for the injured Ludwick had player of the game in his first appearance in the big leagues this year as he was 2-4 with a homerun.

While the Reds are looking good they have their second big test of the year as they face one of the top pitchers in the National League as they face off against Strasburg next game.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Pro

Ace's clash, but only a rookie rises to the challenge

Apr 7, 2013123456789RHE
Washington (1-4)000000000040
Cincinnati (5-0)00001000X121
W: Johnny Cueto (2-0) L: Stephen Strasburg (1-1) S: Aroldis Chapman (4)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSWASCIN
CIN5Soto hits a 368 ft solo shot to left.01

- Cincinnati, OH

Reds crumbled as they met one of the best pitchers in the NL. Strasburg who was a little erratic at times, only gave up one walk, seemed to zero in when it mattered in the count and would strike out 10 batters. Cueto didn't strike out as much (4), but both pitchers would only allow 2 hits. Cueto went six innings, while Strasburg when seven.

Reds did seem to miss Bruce and Choo, who both got the day off, but even when they weren't striking out there was a lot of miss hit balls that were easy grounders or pop outs in foul territory. Cueto without the strike outs did what he did, and looked all as impressive as most of his out where easy fly outs.

Nationals never really threaten to score as no one got past first base in the game. The Reds would actually be hitless through four until rookie Soto hit a solo shot to left to score the only run in the game.

Le Cure looked to get the save since he came into the game in the seventh. But in the ninth he spent 9 pitches on the first batter (to pop up), and then 11 on the second which would get to first on a error by Le Cure. Chapman would come in the game. The first hit on the year that Chapman gave up, but the throw from the outfield would tag the runner trying to advance to third. Next batter would be Harper who has torched the Reds all Series, but would stirkout to end the game.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
Pro

STANDINGS:

MLB Standings - Updated: Apr 7, 2-13
NL CENTRALWLGBRSRA
Reds60-2310
Cubs511.03727
Brewers333.02225
Cardinals333.02423
Pirates155.01634

UPCOMING SERIES:

4-8 @ St. Louis (Matt Latos 1-0 vs. Lance Lynn 0-1)
4-9 @ St. Louis (Homer Bailey 1-0 vs. Jaime Garcia 0-0)
4-10 @ St. Louis (Bronson Arroyo 1-0 vs. Jake Westbrook 0-1)
4-11 Off Day
4-12 @ Pittsburgh (Mike Leake 0-0 vs. Jeff Karstens 0-0)
4-13 @ Pittsburgh (Johnny Cueto 2-0 vs. Wandy Rodriguez 0-1)
4-14 @ Pittsburgh

POSTIVES:
Choo, Votto, Izturis, and Heisey are all over .300 BA so far on the year through five games
Rookies Lutz and Soto are both .286 in two games, 3 homerun's, 4 RBI's in two games apiece
1.50, Lowest Team ERA
10, Fewest runs allowed
30, Tied with Rays and White Sox for fewest strikeout's

NEGATIVES:
Phillips, Frazier, Cozart are all under .200 BA
3, Walks so far which is worst in league
3.38, Broxton ERA who is suppose to be our set-up/secondary closer
Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 AM   #15
Pro

Reds finally lose as Cards look to close the gap

STANDINGS:

Cincinnati Reds at St. Louis Cardinals
Apr 8, 2013123456789RHE
Cincinnati (6-0)000101000261
St. Louis (3-3)00300000X350
W: Lance Lynn (1-1) L: Mat Latos (1-1) S: Jason Motte (3)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSCINSTL
STL3Jay reached first on fielder's choice. Descalso scores.01
STL3Craig doubles to right. Kozma and Jay scores, Carpenter to third.03
CIN4Votto hits a 392 ft. homerun to left.13
CIN6Bruce homers to left on a 410 ft shot.23

- St. Louis

Another tough battle between pitchers in this game. For the past six games it has always gone in favor for the Reds. However, all those games were at home and this was their first road game. While the Reds did have more hits, it would be the error that would cost them this game.

Lynn would seem to give the Reds batters trouble a little with his windup. Didn't strike out that many (4), but did only allow 5 hits in 7 innings, although the two runs were homeruns. While the Reds seemed to get things going early in the innings, it would be short lived as Lynn would get the next batter to ground into a double play as it happened two times in the game.

Cozart went 0-3 in the game which now puts his average to a pathetic .105 average and some are wondering if he will be replaced in the lineup to get back on track.

The error, for the Reds, would allow the inning to be able to continue in which the Cardinals would make them pay as they would run off three runs off of Mat Latos. He would pitch 8 strong innings, but the third inning was rough for him as he gave up four hits in the inning for 3 runs. Again the error could of got them out of the jam if Frazier didn't lose control of the ball to try to get a double play.

Still for the first loss of the Reds, they are now a game out of first place now for the NL Central as the Cubs are still perfect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #16
Pro

Reds almost give away game, Bailey waits to see if he is suspended

Cincinnati Reds at St. Louis Cardinals
Apr 9, 2013123456789RHE
Cincinnati (6-1)020000020480
St. Louis (4-3)000000200250
W: Homer Bailey (2-0) L: Mitchell Boggs (1-1) S: Aroldis Chapman (5)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSCINSTL
CIN2Frazier grounds out to short. Bruce scores.10
CIN2Hanigan lined to center for a single. Hannahan scores.20
STL7Molina two-run homerun to center. Beltran scores.22
CIN8Izturis scored on wild pitch. Phillips to second on wild pitch.32
CIN8Bruce singles. Phillips scores. Votto to second.42

-St. Louis

Homer Bailey had this game in the bag it seemed from the beginning. He looked like the projections of the round one pick they expected. Through six innings he gave up just two hits and struck out five. However, in the seventh he still showed signs of regression as he allowed the Cardinals back into the game.

Quote:
Absolutely. He should be suspended, but what I am more upset about is that he got to stay in the game. Especially after the comments he spew from his mouth that we all heard. That's uncalled for, and he took it out on us when we had nothing to do with it. I am just shocked we couldn't capitalize on it more.
Mike Matheny responded too after the game.

For what he talked about all happened in the seventh inning. Cardinals were desperately trying to get on base. Bailey had the lead off hitter in a 1-2 count and was just to seven pitches. It looked to be a high inside fastball to Beltran who started to chase. He realize it was a ball so stopped his swing, but kept his shoulder down as it plunked him. Ump gave him the base as Bailey was upset about the call. Three pitches later the game would be tied as Molina would hit a homerun. Beltran supposedly said someone to Bailey as he was rounding the bases which Beltran would decline after the game. The very next pitch he would hit Wigginton straight in the back.

Quote:
If I wanted to hit someone that is what it would be like. Not pulling the little stunt Beltran did to try to get on base.
Is the Cardinals players heard as Bailey was talking to the dugout after the second hit-by-pitch. One out and after a single later Bailey would load the bases with his third straight hit batter. He wasn't on the game at this point, and all signs was that he was either going to get pulled by Baker or get thrown out by the ump. Neither would come and he would settle down to get the final two outs to leave the game tied.

Reds would get those two runs just four batters later, but no one really is talking about the game in which the Reds won their first road game of the year.

Bailey had this to say after the game.
Quote:
I do regret what I did. I only did intentionally try to hit one batter. We all know from the multiple replays that the first one shouldn't of been, although it is allowed in the rule books, but the third I was trying to brush him off the plate. Just went a little too far inside and he couldn't get out of the way in time. I will take any punishment that they (MLB) deems justify.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »