Home

"Moving Forward": Houston Astros Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

This is a discussion on "Moving Forward": Houston Astros Franchise [MLB 13: The Show] within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Which Team Should I Restart My Franchise With?
Milwaukee Brewers 2 18.18%
Kansas City Royals 2 18.18%
Arizona Diamondbacks 4 36.36%
Chicago White Sox 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 7
"Moving Forward": Houston Astros Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

No organization needed a fresh start more than the Houston Astros.

And no team has made more alterations since November 2011, when Major League Baseball approved Jim Crane’s purchase of the team from Drayton McLane.

The changes have come in rapid-fire fashion. For a $70 million discount on the $680 million purchase price (which included a 60 percent share in the Houston Regional Sports Network), Crane agreed to move the Astros to the American League West, effective in 2013. Then he fired general manager Ed Wade and hired Jeff Luhnow, formerly vice president of scouting and player development for the Cardinals, to succeed him.

Luhnow immediately started a makeover of Houston’s front office. Assistant GM Bobby Heck, who ran the club’s drafts from 2008-12, didn’t have his contract renewed, and several amateur and pro scouts also were fired. Farm director Fred Nelson, a member of the organization since 1985, was offered a different position after getting replaced by former big league outfielder Quinton McCracken.

Luhnow also completed the dismantling of the big league roster that Wade started in 2010-11, when he traded veterans such as Lance Berkman, Michael Bourn, Roy Oswalt and Hunter Pence. The 2012 Astros weren’t competitive to begin with, and fell to absurd levels after Luhnow dealt Chris Johnson, Carlos Lee, Brett Myers and Wandy Rodriguez through the season, slashing an Opening Day payroll of $61 million to barely more than $10 million.

The Astros suffered through a 4-33 stretch after the deals, costing manager Brad Mills his job, and went 55-107 overall. Triple-A manager Tony DeFrancesco took over for Mills on an interim basis, until Luhnow hired Nationals third-base coach Bo Porter as the permanent replacement.

While five of the 2011 trade acquisitions made the Astros Top 10 Prospects list a year ago, none of this year’s additions cracked this Top 10. Houston did add potential impact players in the draft, however, while picking No. 1 overall for the first time since 1992.

Twenty years earlier, the Astros passed on Derek Jeter to take the more signable Phil Nevin. This time around, Luhnow, Heck and scouting director Mike Elias devised and executed a plan to stretch Houston’s $11.2 million bonus pool with impressive results.

Though the consensus had the Astros taking Stanford righthander Mark Appel at No. 1, they opted instead for Puerto Rican prep shortstop Carlos Correa. Houston signed him quickly for $4.8 million, $2.4 million less than the assigned value for his pick, and used the savings to sign supplemental first-round righthander Lance McCullers Jr. ($2.5 million) and fourth-round third baseman Rio Ruiz ($1.85 million) to above-value bonuses.

The trades and recent drafts have brought depth the system had lacked for years. That allowed the Astros to let former first-rounders Delino DeShields Jr. and Mike Foltynewicz repeat low Class A at age 20, and they both responded with strong seasons. After finishing the worst cumulative minor league record in 2008, 2009 and 2011 (and 29th in 2010), Houston affiliates had the best winning percentage (.546) in the game in 2012.

At the end of the season, the Astros unveiled a new uniform and logo, harkening back to their 1980s caps and introducing a blue-and-orange color scheme. Coming off back-to-back seasons that were the worst in franchise history, it’s a good time to make a clean break with their recent past.

"Moving Foward.."

Last edited by CBMerling; 04-07-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #2
Rookie

skeletore2002's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: "Moving Forward": Houston Astros Franchise [MLB 13: The Show]

Good luck with this.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #3
Pro

HOUSTON ASTROS 2013 PROSPECT WATCH

Carlos Correra, SS
Correa has tools worthy of a No. 1 overall pick, earning comparisons to players such as Troy Tulowitzki and Ryan Zimmerman. Tall and athletic, Correa has the potential to hit for power while playing the left side of the infield. His best attributes are his well above-average pop to all fields, which Houston scouting director Mike Elias describes as "freak-show power," and his cannon arm. Correa has an easy swing with plenty of bat speed and leverage. He's balanced at the plate, uses his hands well and has natural hitting rhythm, and the Astros expect him to hit for average as well as power. He impressed club officials by laying off breaking balls out of the zone after signing, though at his size, he has holes in his swing that he'll have to tighten. Correa is the best present defender the organization has at shortstop. His arm strength earns plus-plus grades, and he has excellent footwork and body control. There's some concern that he'll outgrow shortstop as he matures physically.

Jonathan Singleton, 1B
Singleton has a smooth swing with strength, and he knows his strike zone well. He uses his advanced plate discipline to focus on a particular hitting zone, takes aim and unleashes his well above-average raw power. He has a solid knack for hitting, showing enough bat speed to turn on fastballs while also using the whole field. Advanced lefthanders with good breaking balls still can handle him. Singleton has the tools to be an average first baseman but made too many careless errors in 2012. He's a well below-average defender in left field, where his lack of speed and arm strength hinder him. Scouts would like to see him play with more energy.

George Springer, OF
Springer is a true power-speed threat. His strong, quick hands generate tremendous whip and bat speed, giving him power to all fields. He doesn't have to cheat to drive the ball, but he does leak out with his front side at times, leading to strikeouts. He tends to play too fast, though scouts think he'll adjust with experience. Springer's above-average speed plays well on the bases and in center field, and managers rated him the Cal League's top defensive outfielder. His arm is above-average as well. His energy is infectious, and the Astros credit him with helping Delino DeShields Jr. play harder after rooming with him in instructional league and spring training.

Delino DeShields, 2B
Humbled after hitting .220/.305/.322 at low Class A in 2011, DeShields got in better shape and regained his speed, which grades as a 75 on the 20-80 scouting scale. He also played harder and smarter, and his bat heated up when he stopped trying to pull everything and used the whole field. He's surprisingly strong for his size and could develop average power. He draws walks, so he'll profile as an elite leadoff hitter if he can maintain his improvements. DeShields is an aggressive basestealer who reads pitchers well and has a quick first step. He also has worked to grow as a defender, improving his footwork around the bag at second, though his arm strength and accuracy remain erratic.

Jarred Cosart, P
Cosart has a live, quick arm that produces a hard sinker that sits at 94-97 mph and touched 99 in the AFL. His fastball has excellent life down in the zone, which produces plenty of ground balls but makes the pitch tough to control. He excels at keeping the ball in the park, and he nearly got as many double plays (18) as he allowed extra-base hits (26) in 2012. Cosart throws his curveball with power, reaching 81-82 mph with good shape, and his solid straight changeup plays off his fastball well. Better command of his curveball would produce the strikeouts expected of a pitcher with such electric stuff.

*Scouting reports are brought to you by BaseballAmerica.com

Last edited by CBMerling; 04-08-2013 at 02:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #4
Pro

Houston Astros Depth Chart
  • Catcher
  • Jason Castro
  • Carlos Corporan
  • First Base
  • Brett Wallace
  • Second Base
  • Jose Altuve
  • Jake Elmore
  • Third Base
  • Matt Dominguez
  • Shortstop
  • Ronny Cedeno
  • Left Field
  • Chris Carter
  • J.D. Martinez
  • Center Field
  • Fernando Martinez
  • Justin Maxwell
  • Right Field
  • Rick Ankiel
  • Starting Pitcher
  • Bud Norris
  • Erik Bedard
  • Philip Humber
  • Lucas Harrell
  • Jordan Lyles
  • Relief Pitcher
  • Brad Peacock
  • Jarred Cosart
  • Hector Ambriz
  • Edgar Gonzalez
  • Wesley Wright
  • Closer
  • Jose Veras
  • Designated Hitter
  • Carlos Pena

Old 04-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeletore2002
Good luck with this.
Thank you, skeletore2002. Same to you with your Blue Jays franchise. They're a very intriguing team this season. Hope you keep an eye on my dynasty, as I will yours!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 5

Good luck with your 20 million dollar team. Wonder how long it will take for you to start scooping up free agents or trading people. Still figure you will have a better record than last years team.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
MVP

joshrmlb's Arena

OVR: 9

Astros are always a fun project to do. It takes a lot of work, but it's fun when their good. Following.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #8
Pro

Thank you, gents! I appreciate the support and the 'following' comments. I'm going to try and push the games out and think of an intuitive way to get the people/persons following this post to be able to interact with the dynasty.

The first season, I'm going to skip spring training, though I'll play it in the following seasons. I'm using TNK's sliders/settings with this franchise/dynasty. I'll also be using the OSFM rosters and playing ALL 162 games. I won't have control of all 30 teams, though. I'd like to be that specific, but I don't have the time to be honest. Any input from anyone following on how to make this better/improved, please don't hesitate to post.

I've already played Opening Night and should have the results/stats and a make-shift article related to the game posted later this evening. I've considered implementing videos from the game also, though I'm still brainstorming on that at the current moment.

I'm a die-hard Houston fan and with the change of scenery (American League), uniforms, etc., I'm looking forward to rebuilding them through this game, the way I see fit. It is a clean slate.

As I mentioned earlier, please don't refrain from posting to help me improve this dynasty for its readers. This is my first dynasty I've posted online and I'm trying to find ways to make it the best I can for you guys/gals!

Last edited by CBMerling; 04-08-2013 at 02:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »