Home

Houston.. We Have A Problem - A Houston Astros Franchise

This is a discussion on Houston.. We Have A Problem - A Houston Astros Franchise within the Baseball Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Pro

IK720's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Houston.. We Have A Problem - A Houston Astros Franchise

Great Pitching and Stellar Defense Yields Win for Seattle

Seattle, Washington - In the final game of a 3 game set against the Astros the Mariners pulled of a pretty easy win. It was a pitching dual for most of the game. Danny Hultzen (W, 1-1) pitching 6 strong innings eventually earning the victory for the M's. He only allowed 3 hits and struck out 4. Astros' pitching Lucas Harrell nearly matched him going 6 strong innings allowing just 4 hits, but one was a home run ball served up to Jesus Montero. Eventually the Astros bullpen allowed another 3 runs in the game to end the game 4-0.

Lucas Harrell has been brilliant in his first two starts of the season and is now 1-1 with a 0.69ERA, 9-1 K/BB ratio, and a 0.62 WHIP. Danny Hultzen also evened his record out in this one and is now 1-1 with a 4.5 era as his first start of the year was a rough outing.

Next up the Astros will play a three game series against the Angels in LA. The pitching matchup for Friday April 12th will be Philip Humber vs Joe Blanton.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #18
Hall Of Fame

Deuce2223's Arena

OVR: 22

I like to see different styles. For some guy's less writing and more stats (ie Box scores ect) are the way to go. Other's enjoy the writing aspect and prefer to tell the story. I sorta like a combo of the two.

Good luck. Just don't make the Astros too good too fast, because I am enjoying having someone besides my M's in the cellar of the West
Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce2223
I like to see different styles. For some guy's less writing and more stats (ie Box scores ect) are the way to go. Other's enjoy the writing aspect and prefer to tell the story. I sorta like a combo of the two.

Good luck. Just don't make the Astros too good too fast, because I am enjoying having someone besides my M's in the cellar of the West
True dat! I'm trying to balance them both myself in my Arizona dynasty. But some of the writing becomes repetitive. Reason I started the 'Snake Pit' column. I've got other things in mind also.

Even in games, when I play, I'm trying to make the box score look good. Grab some walks, etc.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #20
Pro

IK720's Arena

Baseballtonight.png Karl Ravech: Welcome to baseball tonight Sunday edition. I'm Karl Ravech here with John Kruk, and Curt Schilling. We are just over two full weeks into the season and we're here to recap the beginning of the season. Let's start off with the biggest bat to begin the year. Who do guys have as the #1 guy so far this season.

Curt Schilling: Well I think that is pretty obvious. It is Ryan Braun. He has started the season with a fire under him amongst the loose connections to more PED accusations. Through 12 games he is batting .362 with 8 HR and 20 RBI. He leads baseball in home runs, RBI, and slugging %. Really great start there.

John Kruk: For me it has to be Josh Hamilton. He is leading that team just like the Angels hoped for when they signed him in the off season. Through 11 games he is batting .468 with 6HR, 14 RBI. Pretty Remarkable start for him and you can see its effect throughout the Angels lineup. The three Angels batting ahead of him in the lineup are all in the top 10 in the AL for runs scored.

Karl: Yes both of these guys have started on fire this year. Now moving onto the best pitcher so far this year. Who do you guys have here.

John Kruk: This one is a little tougher as most of these guys we have only seen two or three times. So that makes me want to go with a reliever who I've already seen a bunch. How about Joe Nathan who has gone out there and saved 9 of the Rangers 11 victories so far this year? 9IP, 2.00ERA, 9 Saves, 0 Blown Saves, .56 WHIP. Oh and how about the fact he hasn't given up a hit to a right handed hitter yet this year?

Curt Schilling: Like Krukky said there are so many guys to consider at this point of the year. So I am going to go with a guy who I know isn't putting up "fake numbers". Justin Verlander has started the year 2-0 with a 1.99 ERA in 3 starts. In his 3 games he has pitched 22.2 innings and stuck out 21. We all know he will be there at the end of the year in the Cy Young race.

Karl Ravech: Both good choices in a tough position to pick so early in the year. Alright lets have a look at the standings so far this year. Is there anybody hotter right now than the Texas Rangers?

MLB Standings - Updated: Apr 15th, 2013
AL EASTWLGBRSRA
Red Sox84-6249
Blue Jays751.05150
Yankees761.54048
Orioles662.04732
Rays484.04552
AL CENTRALWLGBRSRA
Tigers75-5535
White Sox75-5739
Twins661.04968
Royals572.04456
Indians582.54862
AL WESTWLGBRSRA
Rangers112-6533
Angels753.55654
Athletics675.05253
Astros486.54076
Mariners4107.55553
NL EASTWLGBRSRA
Braves93-5722
Nationals841.04752
Phillies841.04642
Mets574.03936
Marlins2107.02757
NL CENTRALWLGBRSRA
Brewers75-7544
Reds661.05753
Cardinals572.05358
Pirates572.02943
Cubs493.53643
NL WESTWLGBRSRA
Giants94-4639
Dodgers662.54340
Padres662.55541
Diamondbacks573.54753
Rockies573.55169

John Kruk - Year the Rangers have started the year on fire behind a complete team wide effort. You really can't single anybody as the whole team has started the year well. They are running away with that division. You see the Astros there in 4th place? They have given up an MLB leading 76 runs this season! They have been out scored by 36 runs already this year.

Curt Schilling: Yea their pitching staff has really struggled, and I don't see them doing any better than 4th in that division. In all honesty it will probably be last. Their pitching is really a mess right now with a team ERA of 6.06. They need to make some moves and fast.

Karl Ravech: Well that is all we have time for in this segment. Now to what happened around the league today ......
Old 04-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK720
Any thoughts on my style of updates? Too much or too little info? Would people prefer me to add box scores for each game I play or does it not matter? Looking for any kind of feed back. I plan to keep this franchise going until next years version of the game.
Darn Texas Rangers off to a scorching start in your 'chise too, lol. In mine, they're like 20 over .500 before the ASB.

I think you're doing a nice job, and if all dynasty 'chises were the same, it'd get boring real quick, so I'd suggest to add what you like to add/want to see mostly. Personally, I'm more of the mind to box score it for more important/interesting games (rivals/extra innings/walk offs/milestone performances). Part of that is because I got some 70 games in before feeling the urge to record it here (so I had to back track and didn't want to slavishly box score for half a season before playing another game) but part of it is to try and keep it from getting repetitive/boring. I know some guys like to be as detailed as possible and show every box score, but I prefer to mix it up a bit and add in some storylines etc.

One trick that I just learned aside from basic html code editing was it's a nice touch to wrap a quote around the dialogue in your posts. You can turn this...

Me: This is an example.

into this...

Quote:
Me: This is an example
Or if you want, you can make it look like someone else posted/emailed the response, by typing =Me after the word quote in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
This is an example
Just some food for thought because I saw you are adding some dialogue in your posts and not just straight box scores. Cheers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #22
Pro

IK720's Arena

Thanks for the feedback! I have used quotes like that before but got away from it. Those damn Rangers have torched me, and I feel that will be a reoccurring theme haha..
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
Pro

IK720's Arena

Houston Astros Player Spotlight

Profile Card - Lucas Harrell
Lucas Harrell | SP
Astros
Height: 6'2''Bats/Throws: R/R
Weight: 210Age: 27 years old
SeasonGW-LERAGSSVHLDIPBBSOWHIP
201343-10.3240028.14210.81
Last 10DECIPHRERBBSOHRPC-STERA

The player spotlight in Houston is on starting pitcher Lucas Harrell. He had a strong spring this year and earned a spot just barely. GM Matthew Collins was quoted during spring saying he wasn't high on Harrell, but like anybody on his teams he would have to earn his spot. Well he not only earned his spot, but he has begun the year with pure ace-like stuff this year. He is 3-1 with a 0.32 ERA (1st in MLB) and a WHIP of 0.81 (2nd in MLB). His one loss was obviously a tough one with a sub 1 ERA. That was the game in which his current 19 inning scoreless streak began. He lost that game allowing 4 runs, however only 1 was earned. We don't know how long he will keep this up, but obviously it will end at some point. One thing is for sure. He has earned the respect of GM Matt Collins.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
Pro

IK720's Arena

Transaction Update 4-23-13

Houston, Texas - GM Matthew Collins announced his first move today. A small one, but one that clearly needed to be done. Middle RP Xavier Cedeno was sent down to AAA today after a very disappointing start to the year. He was sporting an ERA of almost 9 through 10.1 IP. He had also allowed 4 home runs in those outings, and a had a whip of just under two. Collins said after the move, "He was just really struggling. Our entire bullpen is struggling and it was clear something needed to be changed. Hopefully the change of scenery will help him out, and hopefully Chapman (kevin) will provide our bullpen the spark we need."

As Collins' said Kevin Chapman, former closer for their AAA affiliate, will fill the roster spot. He had pitched in 9.2 innings and had allowed just 1 earned run on the season. If he can maintain anything near those numbers he will provide significant relief to the struggling Astros bullpen. The Astros team ERA is 4.60, but after Harrell (0.32), Lyles (2.54), and Norris (3.21) there are just a couple guys under 5.

There have been rumors that Erik Bedard (0-4, 8.68, 4HR allowed, 18.2IP) has lost his spot in the rotation to long reliever John Ely (0-0, 2.51 ERA, 1.05 WHIP, 13.1 IP, 13 SO's). This hasn't been confirmed yet, but it certainly would make sense at this point. We'll have to see if skipper Bo Porter gives him one more shot to redeem himself or not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Baseball Dynasties »